PDA

View Full Version : Volleyball Season Starts Tonight!

Phil C
08-10-2004, 10:39 AM
Don't forget to go support your high school teams tonight! Remember the girls work hard too with practice and school work so let's go support them tonight and the rest of the volleyball season!

JasperDog94
08-10-2004, 11:36 AM
I have a question Phil:

If girls can play football, does that mean guys can play volleyball?

BullFrog Dad
08-10-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Don't forget to go support your high school teams tonight! Remember the girls work hard too with practice and school work so let's go support them tonight and the rest of the volleyball season! Phil C, Count me in. Tonight is the start of my daughter's HS Volleyball Career and I can't wait! I'm also ready for her first Cross"Our Sport is Your Sport's Punishment"Country Meet later this month. It seems that watching 80-100 runners going over two miles of cow pasture carries the same excitement as uhh uhhh as maybe uhhh well you know.

Old Tiger
08-10-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I have a question Phil:

If girls can play football, does that mean guys can play volleyball? Good question.....It seems only fair...

KTJ
08-10-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I have a question Phil:

If girls can play football, does that mean guys can play volleyball?

Me and another friend were strongly considering trying out for the v-ball team at Gainesville my senior year. We knew the v-ball coach and she said she'd give us a real tryout like all the other girls. When it came down to it, we decided not to do it. But the coach was willing to let us.

And you can bet on the fact that should a guy make the team, there would be a slew of appeals from other schools to the UIL.

A lot of the private schools have guys volleyball teams - The Greenhill School, FW Country Day, St. Marks, etc...

JasperDog94
08-10-2004, 01:29 PM
I really enjoy playing volleyball. I'd rather play 2-4 man sand volleyball, but I'll play any kind.

Matthew328
08-10-2004, 01:55 PM
It's called a double standard.....if a boy ever tried out and made a volleyball team a LOT of people would cry foul....but let someone complain about a girl on a football team....

I remember about 5 or 6 years ago a small town in Arizona had their girls softball team make the Softball World Series the equivalent of the Little League World Series...well that team had 4 boys on it...the town didn't have a boys baseball team so they played on the girls team...well the other teams threw a fit and refused to let their girls play that team....what happened to Title IX there??

OK I'll get off my soapbox..I'm not much of a volleyball man but at least since volleyball is starting that tells me football is near

CHS_Grad '85
08-10-2004, 02:34 PM
I say if guys can be cheerleaders then let them be volleyball players...

Old Tiger
08-10-2004, 02:36 PM
Grad, is Caldwell playing in that Cameron tourney this weekend?

JasperDog94
08-10-2004, 02:40 PM
Why can't we all just agree that guys sports and girls sports are different? Why? I'll tell you why...women's lib. I'm so glad that my wife doesn't go for all that bologna.:mad:

I too am now officially off my soapbox.

CHS_Grad '85
08-10-2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Grad, is Caldwell playing in that Cameron tourney this weekend? Not sure... I'll have tonight when I'm at the school...

footballgal
08-10-2004, 04:23 PM
"Volleyball, Volleyball, it has been berry good to me..."

I love volleyball, still play it occasionally.

RBARKER
08-12-2004, 09:29 AM
Just read where Barbers Hill Knocked off 4a #4 PNG.

The Lady Eagles came away with a 3-0 victory over Port-Neches Groves Tuesday. Barbers Hill won the first game 25-21, the second 25-14 and the final game 25-21.

footballgal
08-12-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by RBARKER
Just read where Barbers Hill Knocked off 4a #4 PNG.

The Lady Eagles came away with a 3-0 victory over Port-Neches Groves Tuesday. Barbers Hill won the first game 25-21, the second 25-14 and the final game 25-21.
Wow impressive win!

BTW where exactly is Barber Hills located?

RBARKER
08-12-2004, 11:18 AM
Barbers Hill is located in Mont Belvieu which is about 30 miles east of Houston on I-10. the nearest town is Baytown.

footballgal
08-12-2004, 11:42 AM
So then Barber Hills is just the name of the School and not the town?

fury900
08-12-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by footballgal
So then Barber Hills is just the name of the School and not the town? .

BlueBlood
08-12-2004, 12:17 PM
Correct. The UIL would refer to it as Mont Belvieu Barbers Hill.

Old Tiger
08-12-2004, 12:20 PM
interesting...

footballgal
08-12-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by BlueBlood
Correct. The UIL would refer to it as Mont Belvieu Barbers Hill.

Is Mont Belvieu a city where you have more than one High School? Or is it like in Castroville, where the school's name is actually Medina Valley High School and not Castroville High School, like most small towns. (where the schools are named after their towns) For years, I thought the name of the town was Medina Valley and not Castroville. (I was part of that district when I was in HS, at the time it was 28AAA)

RBARKER
08-12-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by footballgal
Is Mont Belvieu a city where you have more than one High School? Or is it like in Castroville, where the school's name is actually Medina Valley High School and not Castroville High School, like most small towns. (where the schools are named after their towns) For years, I thought the name of the town was Medina Valley and not Castroville. (I was part of that district when I was in HS, at the time it was 28AAA)

Mont Belvieu is the city it only has a population of about 1400 so BH is the only school in the Town. BH is feed by other small communitys like Old River, Beach City, Cove etc. I'm not completly sure of the history of the name of Barbers Hill, but what I have put together is that Barbers Hill was founded by a guy named Amos Barber and the elevation is slightly higher than the surounding area because it is on a Salt dome. So the Barbers came from the founders last name and the hill came from the salt dome. I don't have any Idea where Mont Belvieu came from but that is the city where Barber Hill currently resides.

footballgal
08-12-2004, 03:45 PM
Very Cool and interesting information; maybe we should have everyone gives us a little history about their High School. Thanks R Barber! I am a history buff, thus I love to hear information like this.

Old Cardinal
08-12-2004, 09:53 PM
To R. Barker: I would say that Caldwell and Barbers Hill are two of the best 3A teams in the state this coming season.....Beating PNG is an outstanding win. I saw LC-M play the other night and they are a strong 4A this year.

RBARKER
08-12-2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
To R. Barker: I would say that Caldwell and Barbers Hill are two of the best 3A teams in the state this coming season.....Beating PNG is an outstanding win. I saw LC-M play the other night and they are a strong 4A this year.

Hey OC nice to seya posting. BH has a strong team this year I haven't read up on the other teams in the top ten but I'm sure there is some good ones. I usually do not keep up with volleyball due to BH only having it here for the last two years, but BH has always had some great lady athletes, so I guess I need to catch some Volley ball this year.