PDA

View Full Version : Jerry's Texas Football ratings is up

Old Green
08-09-2004, 05:11 AM
Jerry's Picks are up. He has some very interesting picks.

Here is the Link:

http://www.texasfootballratings.com

bullfrog_alumni_02
08-09-2004, 06:03 AM
this guy has some good stuff on here, i wonder how reliable his numbers are??

VWG
08-09-2004, 07:26 AM
I know it's just a poll... but Breckenridge in Region I ranked over Canyon and Merkel??
Sweetwater seems low too, and I wouldn't have Graham ranked 2nd. Abilene Wylie should be right behind Gainesville.

crabman
08-09-2004, 09:21 AM
This is the guy who had Cuero as preseason #89 last year and they ended up #10. Look at the regional rankings. Other than Sinton, no other Region 4 team is anywhere close. I don't know where he is from but I am guessing North.

His numbers start to get close in about week 6 or 7. That is when his formula really starts to work. Just like every other poll, at this point it is a WAG.

CHS_Grad '85
08-09-2004, 09:33 AM
Interesting - thanks for the heads up...

Old Green
08-09-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by crabman
This is the guy who had Cuero as preseason #89 last year and they ended up #10. Look at the regional rankings. Other than Sinton, no other Region 4 team is anywhere close. I don't know where he is from but I am guessing North.

His numbers start to get close in about week 6 or 7. That is when his formula really starts to work. Just like every other poll, at this point it is a WAG.
yea ,he gets better as the season progresses.

chaingang
08-09-2004, 04:30 PM
I really am not comfortable for us being ranked #1 in all these polls. I say this for a few reasons. 1. It puts a bull's eye on us.
2. Hopfully the kids wont get over confident(we know what can happen in Texas HS football). 3. It means every team will be playing at its best against us.

Gobbla2001
08-09-2004, 05:15 PM
WOO-HOO, WE'RE OUT OF THE TOP 10...

The top 20 for that matter... I love this guy...

texasjeremy
08-09-2004, 05:22 PM
Palestine @ #96, he has been smoking the same stuff as Mathew328.

BHKrystal06
08-09-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by texasjeremy
That's kinda mean if you ask me....

texasjeremy
08-09-2004, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by BHKrystal06
That's kinda mean if you ask me....

Well, I guess its a good thing that nobody asked you.:)

sinton66
08-09-2004, 05:41 PM

I wouldn't jerk on Matthew's chain TOO hard if I were you.;) Just friendly advice.

texasjeremy
08-09-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
I wouldn't jerk on Matthew's chain TOO hard if I were you.;) Just friendly advice.

You people are too sensitive, in your opinion do you think I was THAT harsh?

sinton66
08-09-2004, 05:45 PM
Don't read any more into it than what's there. Just in case you weren't aware, Matthew328 owns this site.;)

Matthew328
08-09-2004, 06:04 PM
All I have to say is if Palestine misses the playoffs.....there will be a large I told you so coming from me...

texasjeremy
08-09-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
All I have to say is if Palestine misses the playoffs.....there will be a large I told you so coming from me...

Likewise, if Palestine makes the playoffs. lol

Gilmer Buckeye
08-10-2004, 06:04 AM
First of all, we would have to know what Matthew328 is smoking. I would imagine he doesn't smoke at all. But even if he does, I do not agree that accusing someone of smoking pot, if that's what is being implied, is an insult.

Famous and successful people from Willie Nelson to Ricky Williams smoke pot and laud the benefits thereof. It is society's hypocritical attitude against pot and for alcohol that is the real issue.

Follow the money. Breweries and distilleries contribute a lot of it to politicians whereas their competitors in the marijuana "industry" such as it is have to remain underground.

BTW, Gilmer at No. 9 is a real laugh riot. I have seen these guys in person now. Most of them aren't even shaving yet. It is possible the Buckeyes could improve to that level by the end of the season, but right now I think DCTF was right to leave us out of the Top 25 even.

Pball
08-10-2004, 06:20 AM
Likewise, if Palestine makes the playoffs. lol

I can't wait..............

Matthew328
08-10-2004, 02:48 PM
Like I said I've been wrong before....won't be the first time...but I'm usually right a lot more times than I am wrong...have to brag a lil....

BUT even if Palestine does make the playoffs I wouldn't exactly be jumping up and down for joy making the playoffs these days isnt what it used to be.....

But you guys can say i told you so

mwynn05
08-10-2004, 03:23 PM
diboll, rusk, crockett. palestine barely beat crockett with peterson

texasjeremy
08-10-2004, 03:33 PM
mwynn, Rusk is only returning 5 guys that were on varsity last year.

texasjeremy
08-10-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Like I said I've been wrong before....won't be the first time...but I'm usually right a lot more times than I am wrong...have to brag a lil....

BUT even if Palestine does make the playoffs I wouldn't exactly be jumping up and down for joy making the playoffs these days isnt what it used to be.....

But you guys can say i told you so

Look guys, I know us Palestine fans think that we should be better than we actually will be in 3A. You know, when you have been at a higher level for 30+ years and all of a sudden your the big fish, you can imagine we were jumping for joy when it was announced we missed the cutoff by 1 student and we would be 3A. Obviously, true fans expect us to go to the playoffs in every sport (went the the playoffs regularly in about 75% of the sports in 4A) and be a state title contender in every sport. We know thats not the case and we know that a lot of 3A people don't think too highly of Palestine because they have never been in the same class as most 3A schools before. But we hope to hit 3A with a bang, kinda of like the way Everman did a few years ago when they were a successful but small 4A school, then made a big impact in 3A. That said, im ready for football to get underway, the guys have a lot to prove, because most people think they are nothing without Peterson, Palestine is now a passing team, and it will all depend on how the 2 QBs respond to that.

mwynn05
08-10-2004, 03:54 PM
yea but they have cody glenn back he's one of the best backs in 3a

texasjeremy
08-10-2004, 04:03 PM
Glenn better hope his O-line can step right in and play at the varsity level, because a RB is nothing if he doesn't have blockers.

mwynn05
08-10-2004, 04:09 PM
yea i forgot were talking about #1 palestine here i dont tink any one has a chance

texasjeremy
08-10-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
yea i forgot were talking about #1 palestine here i dont tink any one has a chance

mwynn, nobody is saying Palestine will dominate 3A, im just saying why would a school thats been successful in most sports at the 4A level for so long, all of a sudden, start sucking when they fall to a lower classification?

j_dog
08-10-2004, 04:38 PM
mwynn, nobody is saying Palestine will dominate 3A, im just saying why would a school thats been successful in most sports at the 4A level for so long, all of a sudden, start sucking when they fall to a lower classification?
WOS fans, here is somebody who wants to take the heat off you guys! :D Good luck Palestine. :)

texasjeremy
08-10-2004, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by j_dog
WOS fans, here is somebody who wants to take the heat off you guys! :D Good luck Palestine. :)

I think WOS tried to sabotage our athletic department a few years ago (just kidding), when Palestine hired Cornell Thompson (AD/head FB coach) from WOS, he came in and fired just about everyone, even basketball and baseball coaches that were coming off district championships. He then left after one season, taking a worse job as an assistant at Huntsville.

Hupernikomen
08-10-2004, 10:27 PM
Is Thompson getting close to retirement?

Pball
08-11-2004, 05:55 AM
I think WOS tried to sabotage our athletic department a few years ago (just kidding), when Palestine hired Cornell Thompson (AD/head FB coach) from WOS, he came in and fired just about everyone, even basketball and baseball coaches that were coming off district championships. He then left after one season, taking a worse job as an assistant at Huntsville.

Our soccer coach was also fired. He moved on and won a state championship at his new school the next year. I guess the only good that came out of it was that we gave Huntsville several good whippings while Cornell was there.

texasjeremy
08-11-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Pball
Our soccer coach was also fired. He moved on and won a state championship at his new school the next year. I guess the only good that came out of it was that we gave Huntsville several good whippings while Cornell was there.

I didn't think McCutchen was fired, I thought he just left for greener pastures at Highland Park, after he did not get the AD job.

Now Boxley and Blake were fired. I didn't care that much for Blake when I was there (mostly because he was a Bobby Knight style coach), but I had a lot of repect for him. With him in there Palestine was almost guaranteed a 25+ win season and a district title. In his 24 years at PHS, he went to the playoffs like 20 times.

Pball
08-11-2004, 06:42 PM
I didn't think McCutchen was fired, I thought he just left for greener pastures at Highland Park, after he did not get the AD job.

Now Boxley and Blake were fired. I didn't care that much for Blake when I was there (mostly because he was a Bobby Knight style coach), but I had a lot of repect for him. With him in there Palestine was almost guaranteed a 25+ win season and a district title. In his 24 years at PHS, he went to the playoffs like 20 times.

He fired the baseball, basketball, and soccer coaches. Brought in his own staff and then quit after one year. I hope we are fortunate enough to play him again at WOS.

WOS92
08-11-2004, 07:17 PM
Yeah, we got together and said, "We've been a dominant 4A program for a few decades now. It's time we sabotage a pretty awful team." If you want to swagger about your success in 4A, check out the records of other recent 4A teams who have dropped (Jasper, WO-S) and you might just see that you dominating 3A - even without WO-S and Jasper in the picture - ain't gonna happen.

As far as meeting in the playoffs, be careful what you wish for. Personally, I'm not convinced you'll be there.

WOS92
08-11-2004, 07:25 PM
Palestine: 8 playoff appearances since 1922 — two since 1978.

Pball
08-11-2004, 07:31 PM
Unfortunately what you did a few decades ago means nothing this year. You probably will have a good 3A team, at least everybody seems to think so. Everybody expects you guys to win. Like I said, I hope we are fortunate enough to play WOS this year.

Pball
08-11-2004, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by WOS92
Palestine: 8 playoff appearances since 1922 — two since 1978.

We made the playoffs the last two years. Just courious did you make the playoffs last year?

Gobbla2001
08-11-2004, 07:37 PM
We made the playoffs the last two years. Just courious did you make the playoffs last year?

No, they didn't...

But they were playing in the toughest district in the state... Well, 4A atleast, but it comes close to the Permian/Midland Lee/Ab. Cooper etc... district...

WOS92
08-11-2004, 08:18 PM
We lost fewer games than you did, Pball, and we went to the state championship in 2000. You? No.
I hope we are fortunate enough to meet you as well, but I don't see you winning enough games to get there.
Your tradition is that of a pretty bad team. We have the best winning percentage in the history of 4A. Feel free to compare. :D

WOS92
08-11-2004, 08:22 PM
And, for the record, our winning percentage for the last decade is consistent with that of our entire history. That includes a 78% win percentage over the last four years, and 80% over the past two. Yours last year was 75%. Ours was 80%. Your school has come on here and been straight up cocky. We haven't, and compare our programs. You are in for a rude awakening.

texasjeremy
08-11-2004, 09:12 PM

I also know, his "information" isn't quite accurate, I know for a fact we have been to the playoffs more than twice since 1978. Just in recent memory we went in 2002 and 2003, and 1994 was the 10-0 season. We also qualified for the playoffs in 1996, but didn't go. 1995 we finished 3rd in the district, but that was the year before they allowed 3 playoff teams from each district.

WOS92
08-11-2004, 09:21 PM
Ah, then three times since 1978. We've been 15 times since 1978. We've also had 10-0 seasons recently: 1997, 1998 and 2000. Your point?

texasjeremy
08-11-2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by WOS92
And, for the record, our winning percentage for the last decade is consistent with that of our entire history. That includes a 78% win percentage over the last four years, and 80% over the past two. Yours last year was 75%. Ours was 80%. Your school has come on here and been straight up cocky. We haven't, and compare our programs. You are in for a rude awakening.

Not that it matters, but we went 9-2 last year and yall went 8-2, so im not sure what you mean't by we lost more games than you.

texasjeremy
08-11-2004, 09:22 PM
WOS, we are not trying to be cocky, we know we will not dominate 3A, actually I never said we would, but I did say that we would not dominate. Don't know why your so worried about what we think.

JasperDog94
08-12-2004, 08:15 AM
Just for a point of reference:

Last year Atlanta was 12-4. That's a 75% winning percentage.

Just thought I'd throw that in there.

spiveyrat
08-12-2004, 08:45 AM
We also qualified for the playoffs in 1996, but didn't go.

HUH???
:confused:

Black_Magic
08-12-2004, 03:19 PM
this poll is the most unreliable there is.

JasperDog94
08-12-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
this poll is the most unreliable there is. Thank you for that stellar analysis...

Black_Magic
08-13-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Thank you for that stellar analysis... Sometimes you only need to state the simple fact of the matter and you dont need to be poetic . For instence... I dont know what the techincal name of the certain type of water bird at the local pond is so I just call them DUCKS. :D

JasperDog94
08-13-2004, 03:15 PM
We also qualified for the playoffs in 1996, but didn't go. I echo Spivey with a double: HUH? :confused: HUH??:crazy: