PDA

View Full Version : North Texas Quarterback killed in truck accident.

Bobcatwideout
08-08-2004, 12:16 AM
CALVERT, Texas -- North Texas quarterback Andrew Smith Jr. was killed early Saturday after his truck crossed into oncoming traffic and collided head-on with an 18-wheeler.

The 21-year-old Smith was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after the accident on Texas Highway 6, about five miles north of Calvert.

A Texas Department of Public Safety accident report said it is not known why Smith's 2003 Ford pickup crossed into oncoming traffic. The report said Smith was not wearing a seat belt and was thrown from the truck when it hit the tractor-trailer.

The 18-wheeler's driver was treated for minor injuries at the scene, the report said.

Smith started 16 games in two seasons for the Mean Green after leading Bay City High School to the Class 4A Division I state championship as a senior.

"He was a significant player, and was loved by his teammates," athletic department spokesman Eric Capper told the Waco Tribune-Herald. "He was going to continue to be an important part of the team, and we will miss him."

Old Tiger
08-08-2004, 12:30 AM
Thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends....

Pudlugger
08-08-2004, 05:35 AM
This is very sad. I remember this young man well as he led the Black Cats to a 28-7 win over the Leps in the 2000 season openner the year we both went on to win state. Our defense had them pinned on their 3 yardline on third and long when he hit Robeson in the flat for a 97 yard td! He was a great player. My prayers go out to his family and friends. It is a real loss.

WOS92
08-08-2004, 11:37 AM
I remember him as well, as he led Bay City in one of the most exciting games I've ever seen in 2000 vs. WO-S.