PDA

View Full Version : Wo-s

mwynn05
08-07-2004, 12:17 AM
I read something pretty interesting about WO-s dropping from 5a to 4a and now to 3a so how long until the 'Stangs or 2a

GS#17
08-07-2004, 12:42 AM
We're not going to drop to 2A anytime soon. The biggest reason for the rapid decline in enrollment has been white flight from WOS to other area schools. There's only so many white people that can leave, and even if they all transferred to other schools tomorrow, we would have about 530 students remaining.

Our local economy is unstable and is based primarily on the petrochemical industry. If we lose a few of the plants, our entire area would be in serious trouble, and we would naturally lose people to other cities where jobs could be found; however, I don't foresee the closure of those businesses in the near future. Even if DuPont, Chevron, Firestone, or one of the other plants close their local operations, I'd be willing to bet another company would take over (the area has many positives, such as experienced workers; established infrastructure; land, sea, and air transportation capabilities, etc.). Plus, we have a viable shipping industry, and if things start happening on that end, we'll be in pretty good shape, economically speaking.

WOS Mustang
08-07-2004, 12:52 AM
For sure not anytime in the near future. If we did it would be way off in the next 15 - 20 years I would guess.

mwynn05
08-07-2004, 01:42 AM
oh so theres a chanmce it could explode also like if there was a boom

olddawggreen
08-07-2004, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05

mwynno5, please dont use the words "explode or boom" when talking about an area with such a high conccentration of petrochemical plants! :doh: ;) :D

Old Tiger
08-07-2004, 03:30 PM
lol ODG

GS#17
08-07-2004, 05:08 PM

I guess that would be true. Unfortunately, I don't see a boom in the petrochemical industry anytime soon. I think it'd be more realistic to see our area preserve what the existing businesses and increase business opportunities through other means.

X Man
08-10-2004, 12:42 AM
GoStangs, White flight is not the main problem. While it is true that many white people have moved out of the WOS school district, not all of it is because of running from blacks in schools. Many people simply moved out of the WOS school district because they wanted to move into an area that new home construction is going on, which there is none of in the WOS school district. Most of the school population has moved due to the loss of jobs with the ship yards closeing, Equitable Bag closeing, construction slowing at the plants and cutbacks at the plants. I will not say that some have not run from blacks, they have, but I would have to argue the point about that being the main reason.

KTJ
08-10-2004, 02:57 AM
White Flight isn't necessarily due to "running from blacks", just FYI.

With