PDA

View Full Version : Gainesville...

Gobbla2001
08-05-2004, 09:43 PM
Finally took a closer look at what they have returning etc... and things aren't addin' up here...

I know, a quote beaten like a dead horse, but it does fit here... "Defense wins championships..."

Burnet had their way on offense all year, but Gainesville had enough D to allow their O to outscore the Bulldogs...

Take a closer look at what's returning on a D that allowed an average of 8.9 points a game, and you'll find that 9 of those starters walked across the stage last year (aka: they aint comin' back)...

The offense will be set at RB, no doubt, with Purvey carrying the ball, but the big question is at QB and on the oline... Not a good 'big question' to have...

So basically, you have five starters returning from the team that won the championship almost 9 months ago... The D will be playing without 9 of the starters they won it with and the O will be playing without eight of the starters they won it with...

This is a big number of starters to lose... But hey, they practiced with/against the kids taking over in these starting positions, so they should gel well since they did spend a lot of time together practicing last year.... right?

Wellllllll, not exactly...

These five starters will only be playing with six, count 'em, SIX players besides themselves that were on the varsity team all year last year... So it'll be hard to get the big machine going with all of these new, unproven parts...

"You must not like Gainesville" you say...

I respect their tradition, that's for sure, and I for sure respect what they did last year...

Though they have more bad than good going for 'em (on paper, atleast), they do have some positive things...

Their Coach: Jeff Cordell, from what I hear, is a coach that every player wants to play for... He is a very wise coach and can put a heckuva team together (ie: Last year's)...

Inexperienced, yet, HAVE experienced: Though only 11 players who played with the team all year last year return, they most-likely suited up a load of underclassmen from the fish/jv teams to get the playoff experience, and boy was it a good one... Though most may have been on the sidelines all playoffs long, minus the additional special teams move-up, they did get a taste of something they can't get off of their tongue... They all want to experience this again I'm sure...

A Star: It cannot hurt having a back like Purvey returning to lead your O...

But as we all learned from Forney... Having an awesome running back doesn't get you a ring...

Okay, go ahead, kill me...

And good Luck this year, Leopards...

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
08-05-2004, 09:49 PM
Don't you have anything better to do with your time? If not, dig up some stuff on Rockdale. :D

Gobbla2001
08-05-2004, 09:50 PM
I found a lot of stuff on Rockdale...

Like... uh... uhhhhhh...

Okay, I really didn't, they suck...

JK...

Lemme try...

Gobbla2001
08-05-2004, 09:52 PM
Dang, looks like you guys will be in a battle to make the playoffs... Tough looking road for you guys...

Have faith, though, you guys have come a long way...

HighSchool Fan
08-06-2004, 06:13 AM
Before last season I was over in Gainesville talking to Coach Cordell, he was hoping that last years team would go a few games deep in the playoffs. He was banking on this years team as being alot better. They are bigger, stronger and faster. 2 of their top 3 defensive players were Soph. The only question that I have about Gainesville is at QB. If they get solid QB play, don't be surprised if they repeat.

JasperDog94
08-06-2004, 09:45 AM
I've heard coaches say that before. I don't know what to think of Gainsville this year, but when you only return 5 starters out of 22, that's a big hole to fill.

HighSchool Fan
08-06-2004, 10:02 AM
Last year was Coach Cordell's first year as a head coach. The HC that he coached under in G'ville would start players just because they were seniors. Cordell did the same thing last year. As the game went on he would put in other players. I was watching the highlights of the Burnett game the other day and during the 4th quarter their was more underclassmen in the game than seniors.

According to reports from practice this week, and I now that it's just been in shorts, the new QB is more accurate than Brown was last year.

Gobbla2001
08-06-2004, 12:19 PM
The question isn't talent, it's experience...

I'm sure they have some great talent stepping in, but the guys coming up lack experience...

Could they repeat? Yes...

I'd just bet the other way...

HighSchool Fan
08-06-2004, 12:40 PM
I'm not trying to start an argument here, but I don't think you are understanding what I am trying to say. The upper classmen would start and play a couple of series, after that the better players would be on the field, gaining experience, and playing most of the game. It all comes down to how much playing time you get, not who starts.

Gobbla2001
08-06-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
I'm not trying to start an argument here, but I don't think you are understanding what I am trying to say. The upper classmen would start and play a couple of series, after that the better players would be on the field, gaining experience, and playing most of the game. It all comes down to how much playing time you get, not who starts.

Well, it is an arguement, just maybe not a bad-blood one ha...

The info I've read said that there are 11 letterman returning... In Cuero, to letter, you must atleast be on the sideline for three district games (how it used to be, anyway)...

That's just not adding up with me... These five starters returning were underclassmen, but what about the other six? Are they the ones who were better but didn't start? Usually it's the other way around... You start the best, then give PT to the rest...

If this is how he operates (starting seniors who are not the best, then playing your best ones), then maybe he's not as smart as I've been made to believe.. I just cannot see a coach as good as he is putting an early lead in jeopardy just so he can please a couple of seniors...

Do you see why I don't believe that being ranked #24 is that bad (that's saying they may go a few rounds deep if you dig further into that number)...

HighSchool Fan
08-06-2004, 01:36 PM
The previous HC didn't start Purvey because he was a soph, he started another RB because he was a senior. Purvey was a much better back but that HC wanted to let his seniors start.

Gobbla2001
08-06-2004, 04:28 PM
Well, you are now not the only one to inform me of this...

They'll be better than I expected... Yet with this new info, they are still going to be missing half of the team...

24? No... I'll say 10... Sound more dangerous than I thought...

HighSchool Fan
08-06-2004, 04:39 PM
I think Coach Cordell will have the best 11 on field no matter what their classification is. He was just trying to get through he first year of coaching last year. If you were to meet him, I think you would come away impressed. I also have questions about the QB position. I personally know the kid who is gonna be 2nd string, and he is just to small, probably around 160-165lbs. I still will say that if they get a little bit above average play from their QB, they should play in the finals again.

Gobbla2001
08-06-2004, 05:43 PM
I personally think that the semi's sound good for G-Ville, but my question is now the QB etc...

Last year was his (HC's) first year there and he won the title, I'm already impressed by the guy (as I wrote in my origional post)...

I knew this post would start a discussion, and I'm glad it did...

Thank you so much for your input and obviously it worked, I think they'll be better than I thought...

But still won't say they'll repeat...:p

HighSchool Fan
08-06-2004, 05:52 PM
We all are entitled to our own opinions. At least this "argument" was civil and didn't escalate to anyone getting their feelings hurt. I'll even root for Cuero, unless they play Gainesville somewhere.:D :D

JasperDog94
08-06-2004, 10:47 PM
Well I got my feelings hurt...I'm not sure why, but I'll think of a reason.
;)

KTJ
08-07-2004, 03:27 AM
Even if the QB is the question, the first few games will let us know how he is shaping up. (Forney, Decatur, etc...)

My sis graduated so I have no reason to attend Gainesville games anymore, unless I just want to support my alma mater. But I think they will shock a lot of folks again this year.

High School Fan - Do you go to Collinsville and just support Gainesville?

HighSchool Fan
08-07-2004, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
Even if the QB is the question, the first few games will let us know how he is shaping up. (Forney, Decatur, etc...)

My sis graduated so I have no reason to attend Gainesville games anymore, unless I just want to support my alma mater. But I think they will shock a lot of folks again this year.

High School Fan - Do you go to Collinsville and just support Gainesville?

I graduated from Gainesville in the mid 80's but now live in Collinsville. I still have some family members that work at GISD.

KTJ
08-07-2004, 12:33 PM
Really? Maybe I had some of them as my teachers.

HighSchool Fan
08-08-2004, 06:13 AM
Only 1 of them teach, HS band director, the rest work in the offices and as school nurse.

BHKrystal06
08-08-2004, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Don't you have anything better to do with your time? If not, dig up some stuff on Rockdale. :D
And Barbers Hill too! :D

Gobbla2001
08-08-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by BHKrystal06
And Barbers Hill too! :D

Let's see... Barbers Hill...

They have a good band this year, featuring our very own BHKrystal...

Can't beat that...