PDA

View Full Version : Freshman Starting on Varsity

3afan2K3
08-05-2004, 05:48 PM
Does anyone have any freshman starting on Varsity or JV?

Old Tiger
08-05-2004, 05:55 PM
Not in Rockdale. Are you Kyle?

3afan2K3
08-05-2004, 05:58 PM
Yes, I'm gonna be the starting QB on varsity
Not really, but we do have a freshman who will be the starting JV QB and possible be starting on Varsity as a Soph.

crabman
08-05-2004, 05:58 PM
In Cuero, if you are a freshman good enough for varsity, they will put you there. I only know of two ever. Robert Strait, 8,500 career rushing yards. The other was Melvin Barnett. Ended up D1 and a brief stint in the pros. Otherwise, you stay on the freshman team. No fresh on the JV. No sign of any in the near future. We have one ninth grader this year who is 6'-2" and 240-250. He plays tight end and is a pure athlete. Super strong. The problem is maturity. He is still 14 in his mind. Just not ready. Plus there is a junior ahead of him that could be first team all region or all state. 6'-2" 240, benches over 300. 4.85 40, 55 second quarter. Not much chance of a freshman taking his spot.

Old Tiger
08-05-2004, 06:11 PM
The last person for Rockdale was probably Travis Ortega.

Gobbla2001
08-05-2004, 06:37 PM
You missed one person, crabman... ME... Okay, just kidding.. I started on varsity my 8th grade year, not freshmen...

Old Tiger
08-05-2004, 07:11 PM
lol

texasjeremy
08-05-2004, 07:14 PM
Last freshman I remember on varsity at Palestine was Lynn McGruder in 1996, he is now starting on the defensive line for Oklahoma. He was also on varsity in basketball for Palestine as a freshman, which is very very rare at a 4A school. That year (1996), Palestine was a playoff caliber football team and having a very rare down year in basketball (where they actually missed the playoffs).

Old Tiger
08-05-2004, 07:17 PM
Wow Peterson wasn't :o :confused: :D

texasjeremy
08-05-2004, 07:19 PM
Tiger, Peterson started on varsity as a freshman at Palestine Westwood HS, then transferred to Palestine. Sat out his sophomore year because of transfer rules, then played 2 years for Palestine High.

Necked
08-05-2004, 09:21 PM
Columbia had 2 freshmen playing last year, along w/about 10 sophomores. One was a lineman that didn't play much, but the RB Flannel looked pretty good when they started giving him the ball. He was one of a very few last year that got 100 yds against Bay City's defense....

Johnny Utah
08-05-2004, 09:26 PM
Travis Ortega from Rockdale was one heck of a stud!!!! He would rather knock your head off than make the interception. Dang good college safety as well! Is he still trying out for pro teams, or has he given that dream up???

La Grange
08-05-2004, 09:35 PM
We started a Freshman last year at kicker for the playoffs. He was 100 percent on all of his kicks so I believe he deserved the spot. This year it dosen't look like there will be any Freshman suiting up on Friday nights, let alone start.

blue3
08-05-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
Travis Ortega from Rockdale was one heck of a stud!!!! He would rather knock your head off than make the interception. Dang good college safety as well! Is he still trying out for pro teams, or has he given that dream up???

He still plays for the Canadian league I think, trying to get a shot at the NFL.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
08-05-2004, 09:36 PM
I'm not sure whether or not he's still pursuing a career in the NFL, but he has been showing his face around the Rockdale weight room and working out. I haven't ever really talked to him, but he's a pretty strong guy...kind of intimidating if you don't know him.

JasperDog94
08-06-2004, 10:20 AM
Jasper's QB Moye started in the playoff game against Burnet this past year as a freshman. I believe he's slated to take over this year as a soph.

Cameronbystander
08-06-2004, 10:31 AM
The last one in Cameron was Billy Pittman. He is a red-shirt freshman at Texas and listed as the number 3 split end on their depth chart. He caught a touchdown pass in their spring game and the announcers said that he was getting more mention from the coaches than any other none starting player.

CHS_Grad '85
08-06-2004, 01:01 PM
Don't know if he'll start but right now a freshman QB is practicing with the JV...

pedeefrommarlin
08-06-2004, 02:43 PM
marlin has freshman that is starting free-safety and man is he fast he runs a 4.46 and also will replace tank next year

Johnny Utah
08-06-2004, 09:37 PM
I had no idea that Ortega might be playing with the CFL. Will have to do some research. He was a stud in the making as a 7th grader! Cameron used to have alot of Pittman types!!!! Stone from Caldwell could play as well!!!!!!! How are both those teams going to be this year???? Who will win the battle of the BELL????

mr.leopard man
08-06-2004, 09:49 PM
Whitesboro had two freshman start last year in OL Grantham and RB labhart... the will both start again this year ...Grantham is 5ft9 and 270 and broke 2 school records for weight lifting and labhart runs 4.6 and also on power lifting team.. Whitesboro should start as many as 8 soph.. they are ready for there first ever playoff appearance this year:clap:

VWG
08-07-2004, 11:28 AM
I can't think of any freshman starting, or much less get playing time. There was only one kid, think his last name was Hughes, from Breckenridge who got playing time at RB for Breckenridge a few years back. Other than that, I cannot think of anybody starting or even playing a freshman.

La Grange
08-07-2004, 04:10 PM
Tye Gunn started for La Grange as a freshman in 1997, he is now quarterbacking at T.C.U. He led the Lep's all the way to the state-semifinal game before losing to the eventual state champs Sealy. Tye deserved the spot, and he really shined when he was playing.

CRHSeagle
08-07-2004, 08:35 PM
Castleberry has one freshman running routes with JV. He is probably gonna play slot reciever for them.

c-town_balla
08-08-2004, 10:06 PM
hey pedee is that kids name Travis?

Johnny Utah
08-08-2004, 10:11 PM
Travis Ortega started as a fish in Rockdale. John Robertson was on Varsity as a fish I believe. Had alot of talent during those days, but so did Cameron. Battle of the Bell was AWESOME!!!! Just remember Cameron being very solid all the way around in the 90's.

Old Tiger
08-08-2004, 10:56 PM
I had no idea that Ortega might be playing with the CFL. Will have to do some research. He was a stud in the making as a 7th grader! Cameron used to have alot of Pittman types!!!! Stone from Caldwell could play as well!!!!!!! How are both those teams going to be this year???? Who will win the battle of the BELL???? Since Carter left Caldwell things just haven't been the same for the Hornets.... Ortega is fast and very very strong!!!! Watching him work out was good enough for me.

Old Tiger
08-08-2004, 10:58 PM
Travis Ortega started as a fish in Rockdale. John Robertson was on Varsity as a fish I believe. Had alot of talent during those days, but so did Cameron. Battle of the Bell was AWESOME!!!! Just remember Cameron being very solid all the way around in the 90's. Wasn't the 95 game televised? I believe it was the last time we won it till this year...

Gobbla2001
08-08-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by La Grange
Tye Gunn started for La Grange as a freshman in 1997, he is now quarterbacking at T.C.U. He led the Lep's all the way to the state-semifinal game before losing to the eventual state champs Sealy. Tye deserved the spot, and he really shined when he was playing.

Tell me about it, we lost to 'em (Sealy) the week before...

BIGHANK
08-09-2004, 01:44 AM
i know that this years team for Diboll has 6 returning letters that were sophs last year and they had 3 fish on vsquad durring the playoffs only 3 of the letters started