PDA

View Full Version : Quincy Carter released?

Clyde12
08-04-2004, 11:43 AM
The ticket 1310 reports that the Dallas Cowboys have anounced a 1:30 press conference to announce the possible release of Quincy Carter.

Bellville22
08-04-2004, 11:44 AM
So who's gonna play QB?

Ranger Mom
08-04-2004, 11:52 AM
LOL!! We must have been posting at the same time, I deleted my thread!!

I just heard on another station a press conference is scheduled for 12:00!

fury900
08-04-2004, 12:09 PM
Quincy Carter Not At Morning Practice
Cowboys starting quarterback Quincy Carter is not at Wednesday's morning practice here at training camp in Oxnard, Calif., and witnesses say they saw him being driven out of the Residence Inn parking lot just before the start of practice. The club is not commenting on Carter's absence, but obviously will address the matter at head coach Bill Parcells' daily press conference, carried live on DallasCowboys.com at 11:30 (PDT).

http://www.dallascowboys.com/

slpybear the bullfan
08-04-2004, 12:11 PM
From foxsports.com at 12:10 pm CT

Carter goes AWOL ... possibly for good
Story Tools: Print Email
FOXSports.com
Posted: 10 minutes ago

KTCK 1310 "The Ticket" in Dallas is reporting that Quincy Carter has gone AWOL from Cowboys camp in Oxnard, Calif.

According to the report, this absence is not injury related and the Cowboys will be making an "official" statement regarding Carter after the conclusion of practice. But other broadcast reports have intimated that the Cowboys quarterback will be released, leaving Vinny Testaverde and Drew Henson to battle for the starting position.
Micky Spagnola, the station's Cowboys beat reporter, compared the situation to that of Tony Banks three years ago where Banks was absent from practice and it was announced after practice that he had been cut.

This move comes on the heels of unanimous opinions that Henson has been the best quarterback in camp thus far, which had to be at least mildly upseting to Carter, who started all 16 games for the Cowboys in 2003, leading them to a 10-6 record.

In his first season as the full-time starter - after splitting time the first two seasons - Carter threw for 3,302 yards, but had 21 interceptions and 17 touchdowns. He was intercepted at least twice in six games.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

HighSchool Fan
08-04-2004, 12:12 PM
ESPN's Newy Scruggs is speculating that Quincy might have failed a drug test.

CRHSeagle
08-04-2004, 12:17 PM
So is this now officially considered a rebuilding year?

turbostud
08-04-2004, 12:18 PM
good riddance.

3afan2K3
08-04-2004, 12:19 PM
I hope its not true.

3afan
08-04-2004, 12:33 PM
from espn.com:

In a stunning move that likely pushes 17-year veteran Vinny Testaverde to the top of the team's depth chart, the Dallas Cowboys released Quincy Carter, the starting quarterback for much of the last three seasons, on Wednesday.

Carter left the Cowboys' training camp in Oxnard, Calf., early Wednesday. Sources who confirmed the roster move, which came with no advance warning, could not provide a reason for the decision, or declined to. The release of Carter is expected to be official later Wednesday afternoon and addressed by coach Bill Parcells at his daily press briefing between practices. Owner Jerry Jones has confirmed the move.

A three-year veteran, Carter had started 31 games in his career, including all 16 in 2003, when he led Dallas to a 10-6 record and a wild card spot, the first postseason appearance by the team since 1999. The former University of Georgia standout was a second-round pick in the 2001 draft.

Carter's career has been a roller coaster, with flashes of brilliance often followed by very uneven performances. Just days ago, when asked about his starter for this season, Parcells acknowledged that Carter had "a leg up" on the No. 1 job.

What changed that, at least for now, is unknown.

In his three NFL seasons, Carter completed 507 of 902 passes for 5,839 yards, with 29 touchdown passes, 36 interceptions and a passer rating of 70.0. He threw for 3,302 yards last season, his best year in the league.

Testaverde, 40, was signed by the Cowboys in the spring after the New York Jets released him for salary cap reasons. Testaverde played for Parcells in New York and, even before the Jets freed him, it was obvious he was headed to Dallas for a reunion with the coach.

The 17-year veteran has completed 3,334 of 5,925 passes for 40,943 yards, and he has 251 touchdown passes and 235 interceptions.

The other two quarterbacks on the roster are rookie Drew Henson, the former Michigan star who in February abandoned his pursuit of a baseball career with the New York Yankees to return to football, and second-year pro Tony Romo.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Ranger Mom
08-04-2004, 12:38 PM
I just listened to a clip from a reporter who is at the training camp....evidently Keyshawn Johnson is FURIOUS!!!

Ranger Mom
08-04-2004, 12:42 PM
From FoxSports.com:

Cowboys cut Carter after positive cocaine test
Story Tools: Print Email
FOXSports.com
Posted: 2 minutes ago

Quarterback Quincy Carter is expected to be released by the Dallas Cowboys Wednesday after testing positive for cocaine, league sources told FOX NFL Sunday insider John Czarnecki.

Club owner Jerry Jones confirmed that Carter has been released. Cowboys coach Bill Parcells is expected to hold a regularly scheduled news conference at 11:30 a.m. PT Wednesday at the team's training camp headquarters in Oxnard, Ca.
Carter entered the league in the NFL substance abuse program and this is his second positive test, which by NFL rules would warrant a four-game fine — not a suspension.

According to an earlier broadcast report, Carter was AWOL from practice Wednesday morning, and the absence is not injury related and the Cowboys will be making an "official" statement regarding Carter after the conclusion of practice. But other broadcast reports have intimated that the Cowboys quarterback will be released, leaving Vinny Testaverde and Drew Henson to battle for the starting position.

Micky Spagnola, the station's Cowboys beat reporter, compared the situation to that of Tony Banks three years ago where Banks was absent from practice and it was announced after practice that he had been cut.

This move comes on the heels of unanimous opinions that Henson has been the best quarterback in camp thus far, which had to be at least mildly upseting to Carter, who started all 16 games for the Cowboys in 2003, leading them to a 10-6 record.

In his first season as the full-time starter - after splitting time the first two seasons - Carter threw for 3,302 yards, but had 21 interceptions and 17 touchdowns. He was intercepted at least twice in six games.

JasperDog94
08-04-2004, 12:45 PM
WOW!!! I didn't see this coming.:eek: :eek:

JasperDog94
08-04-2004, 12:46 PM
At least they had the guts to do the right thing. Cocaine? What was he thinking?:mad: :mad:

pirate4state
08-04-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I just listened to a clip from a reporter who is at the training camp....evidently Keyshawn Johnson is FURIOUS!!!
:rolleyes: Here we go w/ the Keyshawn show! :rolleyes: Can't wait to hear his sound bite. NOT!! :hand:

Bull's-eye
08-04-2004, 05:04 PM
In the Cowboy new's conference, no word was mentioned about Carter failing a drug test. Jerry Jones did say this was not a difficult decision. Jones and Parcels talked like this had been in the works for a few days. Now if Carter didn't fail a drug test, I would think releasing your starting QB would be a difficult decision. Are the Cowboys not allowed legally to discuss a player failing a drug test? Are they just trying to cover this up? Is there more to this?

Rabbit'93
08-04-2004, 05:05 PM
I for one, could care less what Key thinks about all this. He is a selfish player and does not care about the team in any way, shape, or form.

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-04-2004, 05:08 PM
Vinny has a better arm and Keyshawn should benefit from this.

Bull's-eye
08-04-2004, 05:16 PM
ESPN reports that Carter did test positive for a illegal substance. He reportedly was already in a NFL substance abuse program. The collective bargaining agreement kept Jones or Parcells from saying Carter was released due to failing a drug test. Now, why is Keyshawn furious? Is he furious at Carter?

Chris Hart
08-04-2004, 05:28 PM
IMO, I don't think this hurts the Cowboys that much. It may hurt a little this year if Vinny was to get hurt and force Henson in to immediate action, but I think Henson has been Jerry and Bill's choice since the day they signed him. He has looked very good in camp according to the 'experts' and it was just a matter of time before he became the man in big D. If Vinny can stay healthy and be somewhat productive until Henson is ready later in the year or preferrably next season, I think this could be a blessing in disguise for the Cowboys. I for one, was never impressed with Quincy Carter's ability to throw the football, and he didn't use his legs as much as he should have with his legs being his only strength at the QB position. Good riddance to any Cowboy who is caught using illegal drugs. What a loser!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
08-04-2004, 08:16 PM
I'm glad they finally got rid of him.

Bandera YaYa
08-04-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
At least they had the guts to do the right thing. Cocaine? What was he thinking?:mad: :mad: Aw, he was thinking he can do anything he wants, after all, he's a big NFL player! I have NEVER liked Jerry Jones, but after this, I have a new respect for him. Way to go!!

Matthew328
08-04-2004, 09:35 PM
I seriously doubt it was just cocaine that had something to do with it...I guarantee you if Carter had made the pro bowl last year he wouldn't have been cut...

Bandera YaYa
08-04-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
I seriously doubt it was just cocaine that had something to do with it...I guarantee you if Carter had made the pro bowl last year he wouldn't have been cut... Well, that could be......just glad one more junkie has bitten the dust!! (no pun intended!! hehehe)

crzyjournalist03
08-04-2004, 10:25 PM
I seriously doubt it was just cocaine that had something to do with it...I guarantee you if Carter had made the pro bowl last year he wouldn't have been cut...

I dunno...if Q really was having troubles from the time he entered the league and was facing a suspension with this last failed test, it wouldn't surprise me at all for Bill to tell him to take a hike...I was always a Quincy fan, but now I'm just praying he can get his life back in order and resurface somewhere else.

Old Tiger
08-04-2004, 10:32 PM
From my knowledge of watching Mr. Carter play it appears he just sucks and deserves to be cut. Thank you for your time. ;)

Casey :D

Bulldog92
08-04-2004, 11:56 PM
Well...QC blew a good opportunity. I think Parcells might look for another veteran quarterback so that they have someone besides Vinny that's played in the league before. Henson is still raw and Romo's at least a #3 right now.

CRHSeagle
08-05-2004, 10:54 AM

Not just that but if Vinny wasn't signed they would have taken there time before cutting Quincy.

JasperDog94
08-05-2004, 12:51 PM
I don't think so. Parcells has shown that he makes good decisions and isn't afraid to make a controversial one. I don't think it really mattered who his backup was. He was ready to make a change.

duckbutter
08-05-2004, 01:09 PM
Can you imagine being a starting QB for the Dallas Cowboys, making an insane amount of money and throwing it all away because of a selfish act. QC deserves more than what he is getting, like a little jail time to start with.

44INAROW
08-05-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
Well, that could be......just glad one more junkie has bitten the dust!! (no pun intended!! hehehe)
LOL LOL LOVE THE PUN THOUGH.. :D

crzyjournalist03
08-05-2004, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog92
Well...QC blew a good opportunity. I think Parcells might look for another veteran quarterback so that they have someone besides Vinny that's played in the league before. Henson is still raw and Romo's at least a #3 right now.

I can see the headlines in about two weeks now:

"Cowboys sign Chad Hutchinson to five year deal" :eek: :rolleyes: :p

jason
08-05-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I can see the headlines in about two weeks now:

"Cowboys sign Chad Hutchinson to five year deal" :eek: :rolleyes: :p :doh: