PDA

View Full Version : What Song Does Your Band Play ?

maroonpirate04
08-04-2004, 01:03 AM
When you go to football games to support your team there's always one song that your band plays over and over you just can't get it out of your head. What song does your school play at almost every game you go to . Here in Sinton the Pirate Band always plays We Got The Beat by the GoGos. They have been playing that song old song since I was in junior high and still til this day that song is still being played. I guess that song will never die. Sometimes its annoying. But it pumps up the spirit of the band .

BHKrystal06
08-04-2004, 07:24 AM
We play "The Horse"...dunno who it was written by...

HighSchool Fan
08-04-2004, 07:55 AM
Gainesville played the theme from Rocky for over 20 years until they got a new band director a couple of years ago. He is a complete idiot, he has no idea about tradition.

3afan2K3
08-04-2004, 08:17 AM
Forney's band director is stupid to.

JasperDog94
08-04-2004, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by BHKrystal06
We play "The Horse"...dunno who it was written by... Jasper used to play that also...I hated it.

marlin fan
08-04-2004, 10:29 AM
We have a few.. 24's, we ready,(those are rap by the way), Shout it out , and we used to play the theam from Rocky but we got a new band director also.

lobo12
08-04-2004, 04:24 PM
grandioso

crabman
08-04-2004, 04:32 PM
Last year when I went and heard Burnet, they played little sound bites of TV shows that were sports related. ESPN, NFL on CBS, Fox NFL, I think there was even some baseball music. No one really knew what song was from what show but you knew in your head it was sports related. It got you in the mood like no music I have heard before. Except Aggie music.

The Noble Men of Kyle
Aggie War Hymn
The Theme from the Strategic Air Command

All classics.

Anyway, If I could get our band director to play those sports themes it would be great.

BHKrystal06
08-04-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Jasper used to play that also...I hated it.
I can't stand it either...:rolleyes:

Rabbit'93
08-04-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by 3afan2K3
Forney's band director is stupid to.
How dare you call Brack stupid. He's not stupid ....he's a moron. I've never seen anyone who kows less about football. I mean this guy will "strike up the band" when we're on offense right in front of them. The guy has no idea what's going on in the game. It's pathetic really.

Gobbla2001
08-04-2004, 05:22 PM
Our band will usually play anything that DOESN'T go along with a football game...

Celine Deon would LOVE going to one of our games... She'd prolly shed a tear...

Actually last year they got better, but before that, the band directors were worried about the band sounding awesome... The football game was just something to keep the fans interested until they went on at halftime (to those directors anyway)...

A band is very important to the mood of the game I think... I don't remember what was going on as a player, but as a fan? It's a heckuva lot easier to let t hose emotions flow if you're listening to "Eye of the Gobbler", not "My Heart will go On"...

3afan2K3
08-04-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
How dare you call Brack stupid. He's not stupid ....he's a moron. I've never seen anyone who kows less about football. I mean this guy will "strike up the band" when we're on offense right in front of them. The guy has no idea what's going on in the game. It's pathetic really.
I dont even think some of the band members like him.

JasperDog94
08-04-2004, 05:39 PM
Unfortunately some band directors think of football games as a necessary evil. Some are more concerned with other things. I would like to think that this is only a minority of the directors throughout the state. Most of the directors I know do their best to add to the atmosphere of the game.

Just remember this: When it comes to music everone has an opinion. So chances are they're going to play stuff that you don't like. But hopefully they play some stuff to get the team pumped.

Gobbla2001
08-04-2004, 05:45 PM
Unfortunately some band directors think of football games as a necessary evil. Some are more concerned with other things. I would like to think that this is only a minority of the directors throughout the state. Most of the directors I know do their best to add to the atmosphere of the game.

Just remember this: When it comes to music everone has an opinion. So chances are they're going to play stuff that you don't like. But hopefully they play some stuff to get the team pumped.

I agree, but I do not believe that the soundtrack for "Titanic" really hypes up a buncha 15-17 year-olds who are about to be beating the crap out of each other...

BHKrystal06
08-04-2004, 05:47 PM
We're playing Outkast and Blink 182 this year in the stands....

Aaron Copeland on the field...

3afan2K3
08-04-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by BHKrystal06
We're playing Outkast and Blink 182 this year in the stands....
Is this a new fad or something? Thats what Forney is playing to, and stuff from the West Side Story.

Gobbla2001
08-04-2004, 05:50 PM
Sounds cool, Krystal...

Hopefully our band will spice it up... Nah they did good under new direction last year, and I expect the same this year...

BHKrystal06
08-04-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by 3afan2K3
Is this a new fad or something? Thats what Forney is playing to, and stuff from the West Side Story.
I guess everyone is just getting tired of the old stuff..I dunno. I know I was.

Matthew328
08-04-2004, 07:13 PM
I remember Everman's band playing Ghetto Symphony quite a bit last couple of years....I remember them playing "This is the Way We Ball" I think also..

slpybear the bullfan
08-04-2004, 08:35 PM
Well, in my first band we played a lot of SRV, GnR, Metallica, anything with ripping guitars. But what really brought down the house was when we finished with our cover of Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd. It was awesome.

Now in my band we play to an... uhh... older more sedate crowd. Top 40 and Country. BUT... I still miss those ripping guitars....

*sigh*

Hello... is there anybody out there... Just nod if...

*sigh*

Rabbit'93
08-04-2004, 10:59 PM
...you can hear me. Is there anyone home!

Love that song. Slpy do you really play in a band?

District303aPastPlayer
08-04-2004, 11:21 PM
umm...we dont play the gogo's...
we play some weird stuff though...
if you have ever been to a Sinton Pirate game... the Kick off cadence that they play is very addictive... EVERYONE knows it.

sahen
08-05-2004, 01:02 AM
At Sterling we played The Horse, Funkytown, and William Tell (traditoin)
For the heck of it we played Jungle Boogie, Iron Man, Vehicle (that song is cool if u have a big enough band plus i had a solo woohoo), and other stuff like the Hey song....Oh yah we had a coach named Terrebone so the athletic dept. bough us the song Bad to the Bone to play...we hated it but they wanted us to play it so we did...little did they know how ironic that song would be cause we were really bad to the bone...but the bad bad not the good bad

JasperDog94
08-05-2004, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by sahen
...Vehicle (that song is cool if u have a big enough band plus i had a solo woohoo)... Trumpet or trombone?

JasperDog94
08-05-2004, 08:53 AM
I would like to add that there is a huge difference in what the band should play in the stands and what the band plays on the field during halftime. If you want to play West Side Story, fine. Just do it during halftime. Nobody wants to hear that stuff during the game.

lobo12
08-05-2004, 10:48 AM
monahans played that for their show about two years ago and played some of the music in the stands and nobody liked it

Ranger Mom
08-05-2004, 10:51 AM
Our band doesn't play it nearly enough, IMO, but...they can bring the house down when they play hawaii Five-0 and Wipe Out!

Matthew328
08-05-2004, 03:04 PM
Good point Jasper Dog.....it's one thing to play your show stuff on the field at the half...but during the game play fun stuff that gets the crowd going...

onfirebball05mustang
08-05-2004, 06:29 PM
Our old band director was ok-but i think we're glad he's gone. It seems that band directors dont know when to play a song, but the band members sure do!

:thinking:

I know Elgin plays Aggie War Hymn at their games-it does seem to build up the atmosphere!:clap:

sahen
08-05-2004, 11:01 PM
Trumpet or trombone?
trombone...solo had some awesome glissandos in it

BullFrog Dad
08-06-2004, 09:33 AM
Gary Glitter's Rock and Roll(Part2)
Ba na naaaaaa na naaaaaaa na naaaaaaa na naaaaaa Ba
na
na
na...
Hey!
Ba
na
na...
Ba
na
na
na...
Hey!
Ba
na
na...
Ba
na
na
na... Hey! Ba na na...

JasperDog94
08-06-2004, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by sahen
trombone...solo had some awesome glissandos in it We played a version of Vehicle in college that had a trumpet solo. I was all over that.

footballgal
08-06-2004, 10:34 AM
Silver Tarpon band plays that cool sounding tune by La Grange's own ZZ Top, I don't know the name, I can just hear it now, this song seems more like the Tarpon school song, than the actual school song, as it is played more and the fans react to it alot more. Personally I love it! :) Any ZZ top fans out there that can help me with the title of the song????

JasperDog94
08-06-2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by footballgal
Silver Tarpon band plays that cool sounding tune by La Grange's own ZZ Top, I don't know the name, I can just hear it now, this song seems more like the Tarpon school song, than the actual school song, as it is played more and the fans react to it alot more. Personally I love it! :) Any ZZ top fans out there that can help me with the title of the song???? Sing a little bit for us...

BullFrog Dad
08-06-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by footballgal
Silver Tarpon band plays that cool sounding tune by La Grange's own ZZ Top, I don't know the name, I can just hear it now, this song seems more like the Tarpon school song, than the actual school song, as it is played more and the fans react to it alot more. Personally I love it! :) Any ZZ top fans out there that can help me with the title of the song???? I bet it's "Got Me Under Pressure".

slpybear the bullfan
08-06-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
...you can hear me. Is there anyone home!

Love that song. Slpy do you really play in a band?

LOL, Yes. We have what I call a "Hobby" band... I have never been in a paying band.

I was in a little three piece for a couple of years in college. It was some of the best fun I have ever had in my life. We covered Pink Floyd, Randy Rhodes, Metallica, Classic Rock, SRV, and a whole lot more. My friends older brother was the lead singer for Course of Empire and we went down and cut a little bit at his studio.

Nowdays, we get together and play maybe once a year. A lot more sedate stuff, mainly for local benefits, etc.

I play guitar, mandolin, bass, and the radio... ;)

BigChief
08-07-2004, 09:18 AM
I agree with ya Gobbla on your band's of past. Cuero bands have been weak in the past. I guess being in the band is a big deal like it is in Yoakum and Gonzales. Gonzales and Yoakum's band have always had some mutual respect for one another. They've have represented the district well when it comes to state marching competitions.

As far as music played during the game, Gonzales has always played original music written for the school. Since we are the Apaches, a lot of Indian songs are played. They play a song called "On the Warpath" plus the also play "the Tomahawk" song made famous by Florida State and the Atlanta Braves. The also play "Apache" which was a old western instrumental from the 50s, revitalized by a rap song in the early 80s. But by far the best tune played by the Mighty Apache Band is the "Fight Song". Anyone who was played Gonzales in the past may know it. Its starts with a slow drum beat, like an Indian beat, then come in the horns with the Indian chant sound. Gonzales always plays it on their run out.

As far as other schools; Yoakum, Shiner, St. Paul, and Hallettsville play a lot of polka. Of course the Shiner schools play the "Shiner Polka" and all Lavaca county schools i've heard play "In Heaven There Is No Beer". As a rival, I love it. I always find myself dancing on the other side. Plus, the Yoakum band is alway real loud. Also, Hallettsville has been playing "Hey, Hey, Baby...I want to know... If you will be my girl" for a couple of years now.

By the way, the best band in the State, in all classifications is La Marque. I went to the State Championship this last year at the Alamodome when LaMarque played Denton Ryan. I sat on the La Marque side, I swear I was at Mardi Gras on Bourbon St. I had that much fun.

BigChief
08-07-2004, 09:24 AM
By the way, Elgin plays Aggie War Hyhm for as fight song, but to keep UT grads happy the play "Eyes of Texas" as the school song.