PDA

View Full Version : Cuero ... Thanks CtownAggie

Timberwolve
08-16-2001, 03:27 PM
Thanks CtownAggie for bringing up Cuero on a recent post. Ohhh, what memories of a dynasty past. As you may remember or even experienced, Cuero was THE team in the early '70's. What, 2 state championships and a couple of finalist appearances? Coach Gilbreath had his boys together. I remember Henry Sheppard (Cleveland Browns), Arthur Whittington (Oakland Raiders) and a bunch more that had brief or extensive pro careers. As a sad note, Henry's boy just passed away as a result of a vehicle accident last week or so. Heartbreaking.
One thing about Cuero in days past as even today...the town supports this team like no other I've ever seen. The majority of businesses in town..or so it seems...literally shuts down for pep-rallys. Spirit? Man-O-Man...Cuero's picture is by "Spirit" in Webster's Dictionary. Why is Cuero a contender, for just the reason given by CtownAggie...non-district TOUGH schedules. Really, as much as any team wants to win non-district play, isn't it more important that the boys are challenged prior to district action? As from my own experience over 30 years ago, a player must challenge HIMSELF to find his heart and that personal challenge will be the result of challenge by others. 11 players at a time with 1 heart win games. Cuero and other traditionally post season winners have pushed themselves into overcoming challenges in non-district play that will bring them to another level. If the Gobblers can stay injury free..watch out Division I!