PDA

View Full Version : Carter High School Player dies after 2 a days practice

olddawggreen
08-03-2004, 08:55 AM
It was reported on the news here in Fort Worth, that 17 year old Erik Brown, a 6' 280 lb. Offensive Lineman for the Carter High School Cowboys in Dallas, passed away from a feaver related illness after 2 a day practice.

My prayers go out to his family, friends, school and community.

I also pray for the saftey of all those young men on the football fields across the state and the country. This just reminds us of how fragile life really is.

This is a game we all really love and its just tragic when something like this happens to a young person at the begining of their lives. It brings home what is really important about all of this, the kids, the young people of our communities. God Bless them all.

JasperDog94
08-03-2004, 09:16 AM
Be careful out there guys. In this heat don't be too macho and ignore your body when it's telling you something.

CRHSeagle
08-03-2004, 10:54 AM
This thread gave me goosebumps. I thought one of my old school buddies passed away....
My prayers go out to the players family and his teammates. What a tough way to start a season.

SintonPirateFan361
08-03-2004, 12:00 PM
It's a scary thought,.My son came home yesterday after being gone almost 9 hours.. saying that one of our players passed out and was foaming at the mouth.. and He is out for 3 weeks now..My son left to practice this morning at 5:30a and I made sure to get up and remind him..to be careful. .

My thoughts and prayers go out the his family.
Guys as much as we all love the game..BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!

Old Tiger
08-03-2004, 02:15 PM
Thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends! They are hydrating us in Rockdale good. We get water breaks during the practices and after each practice they give us Gatorade to rehydrate us.

HornetMom
08-03-2004, 04:55 PM
Everyone, please be careful out there. Prayers to the young man's family

Chris Hart
08-03-2004, 04:57 PM
That is very disturbing. It seems it happens more and more as the years go by, my prayers go out to the family and friends of that young man. Players, please listen to JasperDog94, and pay attention to what your body is telling you. I pray that all of you stay healthy and enjoy another season of football. Good luck to all!

Old Tiger
08-03-2004, 05:03 PM
Chris Hart do you know how 2 a days are going for Burnet?

BrahmaMom
08-03-2004, 09:26 PM
My heart goes out to that young man's family, friends, and town--along with my prayers. What high hopes he had just a few days ago. I hope all the players, parents, and coaches take note and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Listen to Chris and JasperDog. Please, do it for the team! Be careful, everyone, as these exciting days begin!

LHMom
08-03-2004, 09:33 PM
The LH trainer sent our starting quarterback to the hospital during/just after practice today for dehydration. The boys are drinking a lot and taking breaks, but apparently he'd had some stomach virus. After he was there, he had a seizure. We believe all is okay, but they are keeping him overnight for observation.

We love our football, but we love our kids more. Keep 'em in your prayers for good health & safety!

BlueBlood
08-03-2004, 10:01 PM
If you are taking supplements and not drinking lots of water, it is my understanding that you could be in danger in the heat.

lobo12
08-03-2004, 10:35 PM
its better to stop taking them a couple of weeks before the season starts because i have heard that they absorb alot of the water in your body

3afan2K3
08-03-2004, 10:37 PM
NBC news in Dallas just happened to be at the practice that day. They said that the players were getting water every after almost every run when doing windsprints then they would have extended breaks.

BrahmaMom
08-04-2004, 09:35 AM
LHMom, please keep us posted. apparently it isn't enough to hydrate during practice. Yes, the supplements should have stopped weeks ago. Also, these boys need to drink at least a quart prior to going out on the field and a quart after. My son was told that years ago, the little bit they drink between windspints and runs isn't enough and can't get into the system quickly enough. This heat is deadly. I hope and pray the coaches are modifying their plans to take that into account. Stay safe, guys, your moms (and dads) love ya!

LHMom
08-04-2004, 08:08 PM
Update - he was released from the hospital and is doing well. apparently he'd had a stomach virus. They ran a bunch of tests to make sure all is okay. He'll need to recuperate a few days, but thankfully all is well.

!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
08-04-2004, 08:25 PM
I heard that the kid walked out of practice under his own power and looked healthy to his coaches and teammates.

Three of the worst things for you during two-a-days are: Sodas, supplements, and greasy foods.

I haven't had a soda in 4 months...and why would somebody want to take supplements whenever they can get the same results by going to the weight room more often?

Bandera YaYa
08-04-2004, 10:18 PM
This seems to happen every August!! What is wrong here??? Football is certainly not worth losing your child over......what else can be done??? I am so sick of hearing about this happening......my prayers go out to his family and friends....a real tragic, senseless loss....

BrahmaMom
08-05-2004, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the update, LHMom, glad all will be well after a few days. It is deadly out there. Drink all day and all night, guys. Gatorade and water. Be careful, you are too important to too many.