PDA

View Full Version : Those who do not remember history

crabman
08-01-2004, 10:05 PM
are doomed to repeat it. It seems like we had an anointed #1 team on here all last year. It seems somebody forgot to tell Gainsville that they were supposed to lay down to the baddest team 3A had seen in years in the Burnet Bulldogs.

Is it just me or does all of this WOS stuff look vaguely familiar?

Wire to wire is tough. I don't care what classification you are in.

WOS92
08-01-2004, 10:07 PM
Not a single WO-S poster has come here and laid claim to anything. We know we're in for a hell of a fight.

X Man
08-02-2004, 03:10 AM
I will say this. I will be very surprised if any 3A team in our district beats us. After that, anything can happen. The WOS preseason schedule will be tough, and I worry about getting through it without injuries that will hurt us in the playoffs. Right off the bat, we are pitted against the #2 ranked 3A team in the state (Jasper), this is followed by games against Bay City and Nederland, both 4A powerhouses, and a game against Newton, who I understand is ranked #1 in 2A. After all that, we get to start district play. Oh, did I forget to mention the scrimmage with Beaumont OZEN. Another tough 4A Div 1 opponent.

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-02-2004, 03:45 AM
They are getting a lot of talk because they traditionally have good teams. but your right in the fact that it is hard to go wire to wire when everyone is gunning for you.

Will be interesting to watch WOS through the tough schedule. Looks to me like thier non district will be tougher than the playoffs.

Decatur will be a tough team from Region I along with Gainesville, Graham, Wylie, Perryton, Vernon and a few others out west.

X Man
08-02-2004, 05:26 AM
Yeah, it's kinda neat when you are ranked #1, but then everyone is out to get a piece of you. Everyone is scouting you, and everyone is shareing information about your plays, strengths and weaknesses. I kinda thought it might have been the stroke of death when WOS was ranked #1. Not only is everyone out to get you, but sometimes it gives a lax mental attitude to the team, especially if they are in a weak district. That was part of Bridge City's trouble a couple of years ago. They were in a weak district, and when they got out of it, they didn't know how to handle the competition. Of course, with WOS tough nondistrict schedule, some of that will be nullified.

GUNHO
08-02-2004, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by crabman
are doomed to repeat it. It seems like we had an anointed #1 team on here all last year. It seems somebody forgot to tell Gainsville that they were supposed to lay down to the baddest team 3A had seen in years in the Burnet Bulldogs.

Is it just me or does all of this WOS stuff look vaguely familiar?

Wire to wire is tough. I don't care what classification you are in.

This is so true.Few teams with that #1 tag take it all.

ej2525
08-02-2004, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by X Man
That was part of Bridge City's trouble a couple of years ago. They were in a weak district, and when they got out of it, they didn't know how to handle the competition. Of course, with WOS tough nondistrict schedule, some of that will be nullified.

That's a pretty bold statement coming from someone who hasn't made the playoffs the past 2 years. I thought BC making it to the Quarter Finals in 2002 and the Semi-Finals in 2001 is pretty darn good in my book. It's not a State Championship by any means, but considering making it that far against "other competition" outside their district was successful. What does your Webster's definition say regarding "outside your weak district success"?

Phil C
08-02-2004, 08:44 AM
Being ranked No. 1 is difficult in hs football. There is much added pressure. Everman was a great team but they didn't have that pressure all year long when they won those two state championships. They had Forney the first year take on that pressure for them until a couple of games into the playoffs. Then the next year they lost during the season and so they avoided that pressure and used the loss as a wake up call. Smart team that Everman! :)