PDA

View Full Version : What did ya'll think of Texas Stadium?

BHS#1
12-16-2003, 09:42 AM
I personally was not impressed!!!

Ranger Mom
12-16-2003, 09:56 AM
I was glad I was finally able to see it in person, but my 14 year old daughter said she thinks the Grande Stadium in Midland is WAYYYY better!!

kaorder1999
12-16-2003, 09:57 AM
BHS#1:
I personally was not impressed!!!what were you expecting?

olddog73
12-16-2003, 10:02 AM
Its like Walt Garrison said, nice, but they should have finished it. Give me the Astro Dome any day.

bulldogvet85
12-16-2003, 10:05 AM
I thought it was crap.

BulldogGrl64
12-16-2003, 10:19 AM
I was not impressed at all. I think the Alamodome is a lot nicer.

weatherag07
12-16-2003, 10:23 AM
I like the Alamodome better, too...at least it doesn't have a hole in the roof!! :D

BHS#1
12-16-2003, 10:23 AM
kaorder1999:

BHS#1:
I personally was not impressed!!!what were you expecting?Clean restrooms for one thing! You know bleach doesn't cost that much. We were on the vistors side so maybe it better on the other side.

BHS#1
12-16-2003, 10:26 AM
Let see 55,000 people @ 10.00 a person $550.00 I think that would be enough to clean a restroom or to and change the grease in the fryers.

<small>[ December 16, 2003, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: BHS#1 ]</small>

kaorder1999
12-16-2003, 10:28 AM
BHS#1:
Let see 55,000 people @ 10.00 a person $550.00 I think that would be enough to clean a restroom or to and change the grease in the fryers.granted it coasts a lot to use the stadium...the schools get a lot of the gate...if im not mistaken....also..just wondering...were you there for the last game only....a lot of people went through those bathrooms from 9 that morning till the time that Burnet played

<small>[ December 16, 2003, 09:30 AM: Message edited by: kaorder1999 ]</small>

BulldogGrl64
12-16-2003, 10:31 AM
weatherag07:
I like the Alamodome better, too...at least it doesn't have a hole in the roof!! :D Yeah the hole thing....what were they thinking?!

BHS#1
12-16-2003, 10:34 AM
I got there about 2:00 so I was there most of the day.

poncho
12-16-2003, 10:39 AM
Maybe the cold,our team losing the state championship caused me to not enjoy my experience at texas stadium. I'd like to attend a warmer day time game before condeming it. :cool: :D

<small>[ December 16, 2003, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: poncho ]</small>

TarponFanInNorthTexas
12-16-2003, 10:45 AM
No, I've been to Texas Stadium on much warmer days to watch a Cowboys game, and let me tell you, if you think being in there during cold weather was bad, wait until you're in there when it's hot. It's like a freakin' oven!!!!

The Alamodome puts Texas Stadium to shame.....

poncho
12-16-2003, 10:54 AM
I'll go for the Alamodome. Its 100 miles from home and easy to get to, oh it AIR CONDITIONED in the summertime and comfortable in the winter. :cool: :p

Ranger Mom
12-16-2003, 10:55 AM
There was a slit in the wall in the womens bathroom (don't know if it was supposed to be there or not) but it had warm air streaming out of it - so I wasn't gonna complain about the bathrooms AT ALL!! :D

I didn't appreciate the guy that I bought my hot chocolate from (3 cups for $9.00) asking me if he could keep the dollar from my ten dollar bill for a tip.

Had I already had all 3 of my hot chocolates in hand, I think I would have said, "No, because you asked for it". But....they were still getting two of them and I have a fear of pi&$ing people off and having them spit in my food or drink. I have heard too many stories about that stuff!!

3afan
12-16-2003, 11:37 AM
olddog73:
Its like Walt Garrison said, nice, but they should have finished it. Give me the Astro Dome any day.OMG no - alamodome YES, astrodome NO

MonkeyJoe
12-16-2003, 11:57 AM
when was the alamodome built???
wasnt texas stadium built in like the early 70's.

BulldogGrl64
12-16-2003, 12:37 PM
MonkeyJoe:
when was the alamodome built???
wasnt texas stadium built in like the early 70's.Texas Stadium was built in '71 and the Alamodome was built in '93.

BullFrog Dad
12-16-2003, 12:41 PM
Let see 55,000 people @ 10.00 a person $550.00 I think that would be enough to clean a restroom or to and change the grease in
the fryers. Was admission ten bucks or a penny?LOL I agree that Texas Stadium is a ragged out Yugo. The Lexus is parked south "The BallPark in Arlington"(Baseball only facility though).

KTJ
12-16-2003, 01:06 PM
After attending the games against Forney and Burnet, I can honestly say that now I see why whats-his-face is asking for a new stadium to be built for the Cowboys. If the voters of Irving, Dallas, Grapevine, Arlington, or Las Calinas would actually take a trip to Texas Stadium, they would then see the need for a new field.

RPM
12-16-2003, 01:18 PM
Been to the stadium many times sadly its nothing to brag about NOW. From the highway you could see it falling apart (sarcasticly). It is an old stadium though and back in its day im pretty sure it was luxary compared to other stadiums. New technology and construction in these times has greatly improoved so yes there are plenty of domes or outdoor stadiums that can burry Texas stadium. Its part of a cycle. Should they build a new stadium in Dallas im sure its going to make the Alamodome look like the 1970s also. The Alamodome is nice though cant take that away from them.

RPM
12-16-2003, 01:22 PM
BullFrog Dad:

Let see 55,000 people @ 10.00 a person $550.00 I think that would be enough to clean a restroom or to and change the grease in
the fryers. Was admission ten bucks or a penny?LOL I agree that Texas Stadium is a ragged out Yugo. The Lexus is parked south "The BallPark in Arlington"(Baseball only facility though).I was going to say the same thing. that would be $550,000 plus how much did they charge for parking. One thing I hated about the Alamodome when PI played Marlin was $7 for parking. I didnt see anything speacial about it. When Donna played lubbuck at the alamodome in week 0 it was $4 to park.

DawgMaw02
12-16-2003, 02:04 PM
Ranger Mom:
There was a slit in the wall in the womens bathroom (don't know if it was supposed to be there or not) but it had warm air streaming out of it - so I wasn't gonna complain about the bathrooms AT ALL!! :D

I didn't appreciate the guy that I bought my hot chocolate from (3 cups for $9.00) asking me if he could keep the dollar from my ten dollar bill for a tip.

Had I already had all 3 of my hot chocolates in hand, I think I would have said, "No, because you asked for it". But....they were still getting two of them and I have a fear of pi&$ing people off and having them spit in my food or drink. I have heard too many stories about that stuff!!I was not impressed at all! :mad:
The bathrooms were awful! Nasy water was all over the floor of the one I used(only once) ICK. And the concession stand people OMG, my friends son and his friend (12 year olds) stood in line, wanting a "Commerative Cowboy Cup" ($4.00 ea) when they came up to us and handed my friend her change, they didn't have the "Commerative" cups but they got charged the same price. My friend went up and said, how can you charge the same price? They told her if she had a problem with it to call Jerry Jones! Rudest people I've met in a long while!

JasperDog94
12-16-2003, 02:10 PM
olddog73:
Its like Walt Garrison said, nice, but they should have finished it. Give me the Astro Dome any day.You're kidding right? The astrodome is a piece of junk...especially for high school games. Last year, they only let us sit in the bottom section. The problem is that the bottom section is only at a 10 degree incline, so you can't see anything. Plus, it feels like your miles away from the action.

Oh yeah, and it's falling apart.

And let's not even get into the interior. The only person that could appreciate those colors would have to be color blind. :D :D :p :p

kaorder1999
12-16-2003, 02:20 PM
as a player though..the experience of playing at Texas Stadium is hard to beat...just t he fact that is the home to the Cowboys makes it so special. As a fan...yeah...not fun but as a player it is freaking awesome!

olddog73
12-16-2003, 04:18 PM
JasperDog94:

olddog73:
Its like Walt Garrison said, nice, but they should have finished it. Give me the Astro Dome any day.You're kidding right? The astrodome is a piece of junk...especially for high school games. Last year, they only let us sit in the bottom section. The problem is that the bottom section is only at a 10 degree incline, so you can't see anything. Plus, it feels like your miles away from the action.

Oh yeah, and it's falling apart.

And let's not even get into the interior. The only person that could appreciate those colors would have to be color blind. :D :D :p :p Naw Jasperdog, I was just reminissing about how it was when I was in highschool back in the early 70s, you cant imagine what a big deal it was when it was built, one of the 10 wonders of the world. For a boy from Burnet in the late 60 and early 70s it was just unbeliveable. I went to lots of stock showes and rodeos there and a few baseball, football games (Burnet-Groesbeck 91) saw Elvis and many others there, many, many fond memories for me in the astrodome. I know its getting run down and that there are many much nicer stadiums around but I guess I will still be awe every time I see the Astro Dome. Even run down I still like it better than I did Texas Stadium, maybe because Ive never froze my butt off in the Astro Dome. The Astro Dome is kinda like an old dog for me, it looks like heck and stinks but I still love it.

PPHSfan
12-16-2003, 04:55 PM
I played in Texas Stadium for the first time in 1973. One of my most vivid memories of the time is how much of a crown there was in the field. If you squated down and looked across the field it looked like the oposing teams legs were cut off below the knees. The hole in the top was an engineering flaw, (the original plan called for a roof that opened and closed, but they found out later it would not work). At least the guys who designed Texas Stadium knew that grass would not grow in a closed dome. (Of course without Houston making this mistake, ASTROTurf may have never been invented. Today Texas Stadium is a relic, but in 1973 it was high-tech.

P.S. The hole in the roof is so God can watch his favorite team play football.

<small>[ December 16, 2003, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: PPHSfan ]</small>

BulldogGrl64
12-16-2003, 04:59 PM
PPHSfan:
P.S. The hole in the roof is so God can watch his favorite team play football.But God's favorite team is the Green Bay Packers, why would he look for them in Texas Stadium? :D :p

marktaras
12-16-2003, 05:07 PM
I thought that Texas Stadium was a dump. It was grungy and dark, not to mention the parking lot, which is in need of repair. Texas Stadium is not majestic as great stadiums are. The Dome is a majestic stadium,I still get an awesome feeling when I go there. The Astrodome was state-of-the-art when it opened, Texas Stadium never was, but, obviously that never mattered to the Cowboys did it?

3afan2K3
12-16-2003, 05:07 PM
Click here to see designs and other stuff for the Cowboys new stadium (http://www.dallascowboyspark.com/)

3afan2K3
12-16-2003, 05:09 PM
http://www.dallascowboyspark.com/images/cowboyspark_11.gif
Heres a pic of it. But there is more on the site

PPHSfan
12-16-2003, 05:14 PM
The Astrodome was so "State of the Art" that they had to spraypaint the dead grass green for the first season because the engineers didn't know that grass would not grow without sunlight.

JasperDog94
12-16-2003, 05:15 PM
marktaras:
The Astrodome was state-of-the-art when it opened, Texas Stadium never was, but, obviously that never mattered to the Cowboys did it?Naw, the Cowboys were too busy winning Superbowls to worry about how nice and pretty their stadium looked. How bout them Oilers... :D :D :D

marktaras
12-16-2003, 05:22 PM
That's the difference between Houston and Dallas thinking, when grass wouldn't grow in the Dome, Astroturf was invented. When a screw-up left a hole in the roof at Texas Stadium, nothing was done.

marktaras
12-16-2003, 05:26 PM
JasperDog94:

marktaras:
The Astrodome was state-of-the-art when it opened, Texas Stadium never was, but, obviously that never mattered to the Cowboys did it?Naw, the Cowboys were too busy winning Superbowls to worry about how nice and pretty their stadium looked. How bout them Oilers... :D :D :D 19-10

BulldogGrl64
12-16-2003, 05:27 PM
JasperDog94:
Naw, the Cowboys were too busy winning Superbowls to worry about how nice and pretty their stadium looked. How bout them Oilers... :D :D :D Well considering the fact that the cowboys only won 2 superbowls during the 70's: Superbowl VI in'72 and Superbowl XII in '78 and did not win another superbowl until their win at Superbowl XXVII in '93....I would say that they had some time on their hands to worry about how their field looked. :D

JasperDog94
12-16-2003, 05:29 PM
marktaras:

JasperDog94:

marktaras:
The Astrodome was state-of-the-art when it opened, Texas Stadium never was, but, obviously that never mattered to the Cowboys did it?Naw, the Cowboys were too busy winning Superbowls to worry about how nice and pretty their stadium looked. How bout them Oilers... :D :D :D 19-10Say, how's that playoff picture lookin' for the Texans...

marktaras
12-16-2003, 05:34 PM
JasperDog94:

marktaras:

JasperDog94:

marktaras:
The Astrodome was state-of-the-art when it opened, Texas Stadium never was, but, obviously that never mattered to the Cowboys did it?Naw, the Cowboys were too busy winning Superbowls to worry about how nice and pretty their stadium looked. How bout them Oilers... :D :D :D 19-10Say, how's that playoff picture lookin' for the Texans...19-10 to an expansion team? How do you think the playoff picture looks for an EXPANSION TEAM?

sinton66
12-16-2003, 05:35 PM
BulldogGrl64:

weatherag07:
I like the Alamodome better, too...at least it doesn't have a hole in the roof!! :D Yeah the hole thing....what were they thinking?!I heard they left the hole in the roof so God could watch his favorite team, the Dallas Cowboys! :D Sorry PPHSfan, didn't read far enough down. The packers? The packers aren't anybody's favorite team except the Packers. God hates the Packers, told me so himself.

<small>[ December 16, 2003, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

BulldogGrl64
12-16-2003, 05:37 PM
BulldogGrl64:

PPHSfan:
P.S. The hole in the roof is so God can watch his favorite team play football.But God's favorite team is the Green Bay Packers, why would he look for them in Texas Stadium? :D :p I already told you guys....The Packers don't play at Texas Stadium! :D

marktaras
12-16-2003, 05:39 PM
It's so He can watch the cheerleaders! (JK)

BulldogGrl64
12-16-2003, 05:42 PM
sinton66:
[QUOTE]The packers? The packers aren't anybody's favorite team except the Packers. God hates the Packers, told me so himself.WHAT?! eek! No he LOVES the Packers!! :D

sinton66
12-16-2003, 06:04 PM
Sorry, that's not what he told me. He said he loves the Cowboys and always has ever since they started. He wasn't real happy with Jerry Jones when he hired Barry Switzer, but he was happy his "Boys" won the Super Bowl. wink

marktaras
12-16-2003, 06:08 PM
Yeah,they won it in spite of Barry! In spite of Jerry for that matter!

JasperDog94
12-16-2003, 07:01 PM
marktaras:

JasperDog94:

marktaras:

JasperDog94:

marktaras:
The Astrodome was state-of-the-art when it opened, Texas Stadium never was, but, obviously that never mattered to the Cowboys did it?Naw, the Cowboys were too busy winning Superbowls to worry about how nice and pretty their stadium looked. How bout them Oilers... :D :D :D 19-10Say, how's that playoff picture lookin' for the Texans...19-10 to an expansion team? How do you think the playoff picture looks for an EXPANSION TEAM?They are no longer an expansion team. That was last year. This is this year. And it's all due to the coach! Way to go Big Tuna!!!
:)

Da Mules
12-16-2003, 08:59 PM
Nice to see the overwhelming majority of the posters agree with one of my earlier posts; Texas Stadium is a crap venue; it sucks for the fans, and it's even worse for the players. The one and only thing it has going for it is The Cowboy Mystique (and that has been heavily besmirched by the Hick from the Sticks, Smiley Jones.) Nothing else, period - nada - zero.

Gobbla2001
12-16-2003, 09:04 PM
It's an older stadium...

It's a great place for High School Football and big enough to hold an NFL game...

I was personally expecting better when I saw Sealy/Commerce in '99, but hey, it's still a cool place...

20dawgz05
12-16-2003, 09:29 PM
like the whole thing about playin in it was really cool!!....but i wasnt impressed i thought it would be all that and a bag of chips but it wasnt!!! the seats were crappy one of dancers stood up on one and it broke!!!!.....MARCHING ON THE STAR WAS COOOL!!!!! :D

bearcat1
12-16-2003, 09:35 PM
I guess I am the only one who thought Tx Stadium was cool.

bc

olddog73
12-16-2003, 10:10 PM
bearcat1:
I guess I am the only one who thought Tx Stadium was cool.

bcI just thought it was cold!

Gobbla2001
12-16-2003, 10:12 PM
Yah, they still haven't fixed that hole in the top...

Leopards,class of 75
12-16-2003, 10:56 PM
The only advantage of playing in Texas Stadium is that there was plenty of good seats for everyone that wanted to attend this big game. Getting in and out of it was no fun!!!! It looks like the Cowboys really do need a new place to play football!

3afan2K3
12-16-2003, 10:58 PM
Leopards,class of 75:
The only advantage of playing in Texas Stadium is that there was plenty of good seats for everyone that wanted to attend this big game. Getting in and out of it was no fun!!!! It looks like the Cowboys really do need a new place to play football!Getting out is easy if you know the right spot to park. Me and 3afan drove right out of the parking lot and didnt have to stop, and we parked in the main parking lot too.

bulldogvet85
12-17-2003, 02:12 AM
sinton66:

BulldogGrl64:

weatherag07:
I like the Alamodome better, too...at least it doesn't have a hole in the roof!! :D Yeah the hole thing....what were they thinking?!I heard they left the hole in the roof so God could watch his favorite team, the Dallas Cowboys! :D Sorry PPHSfan, didn't read far enough down. The packers? The packers aren't anybody's favorite team except the Packers. God hates the Packers, told me so himself.wait a minute here...........god loves the Packers or he wouldnt have let them win the first super bowl ever!!!!! The Pack is Great..hey atleast the packers QB can talk unlike Quincy who is still working on hooked on phonics. Plus the QB who has started every game since '93 and ahman green who is just one the best RB's in the game today. And might I add had way less drug problems then the cowboys and doesnt change coaches every other year.

<small>[ December 17, 2003, 01:13 AM: Message edited by: bulldogvet85 ]</small>

Tackle75
12-17-2003, 11:41 PM
Texas Stadium is definately in disrepair, but to say it is crap/ and has always been crap is totally disrespectful to the past and the present Cowboy dynasty.

The stadium still has the mystique of Landry all over it. Besides once your inside the stadium sitting in your seat, All I can think about is how awesome I feel when I see the blue and the stars lining the sidelines, and thinking wow this is where Emmitt broke the record, this is where Landry coached for almost 30 years, this is where the Cowboys advance to 3 of their 5 Super Bowl titles. So yeah its still got something to it, but I feel like the Big D needs a new one, but dont disrespect the present.

bulldogvet85
12-18-2003, 12:40 AM
Tackle75:
Texas Stadium is definately in disrepair, but to say it is crap/ and has always been crap is totally disrespectful to the past and the present Cowboy dynasty.

The stadium still has the mystique of Landry all over it. Besides once your inside the stadium sitting in your seat, All I can think about is how awesome I feel when I see the blue and the stars lining the sidelines, and thinking wow this is where Emmitt broke the record, this is where Landry coached for almost 30 years, this is where the Cowboys advance to 3 of their 5 Super Bowl titles. So yeah its still got something to it, but I feel like the Big D needs a new one, but dont disrespect the present.A dynasty which got beat by an expansion team first game of the season. A dynasty which has had its share and more of drug problem. A dynasty which has continued for years now to go down the crap hole. by the wya did i fail to mention the stadium is crap and sux too!!!