PDA

View Full Version : Claim to Fame

Ranger Mom
06-05-2003, 07:50 PM
Is there anyone famous or well known from your town?? I may have an advantage being I live so close to Midland.

Right off hand I can think of George Bush (both of them) General Tommy Franks, Matthew McConaghy(sp?) and of course, Cedric Benson.(All from Midland).

In Greenwood, the only person I know of whose name might be recognizable is Jessica McClure. (For all you youngsters, she is the little girl who fell in the well, and had the nation watching her rescue, about 16 years ago).

Gobbla2001
06-05-2003, 07:54 PM
Rodney Padraza... Currently the Nolan Ryan of Japan baseball...

Bandera YaYa
06-05-2003, 07:59 PM
Charlie Robison is from Bandera..now he lives right out of town with his wife, Emily. Robert Earl Keen lives here, too.

Gobbla2001
06-05-2003, 08:01 PM
Oops, here we go:

1964 - Fred Hansen (Cuero High School Track Star) set a new world record and won the gold medal in the pole vault at the summer olympic games in Tokyo, Japan

Also some dude who was a drum major here back in the day was a host for the MTV Spring Break a couple of years back, shooting for a music career./..

Ranger Mom
06-05-2003, 08:09 PM
He didn't grow up in Midland, but Woody Harrelson was born there!!

PPHSfan
06-05-2003, 08:26 PM
There is a little town right across the lake bridge to the North called Tioga. Yall may remember a fellow named Gene Autry that came from there. Also, John Wayne owned land just West of town, I believe his daughter still lives in the house.

big daddy russ
06-05-2003, 08:51 PM
From Corpus, I can think of Raymond Berry (NFL HOFer... played for the Colts and Corpus Christi Ray) and Farrah Fawcett (an original Charlie's Angel... oldest lady to pose nude for Playboy :rolleyes: ). Marty Akins (former All-American QB who played for the University of Texas and is currently a congressman) grew up in Portland. Gene Upshaw (NFL HOFer) is from Robstown and Dat Nguyen (plays for the Cowboys) is from Rockport-Fulton. Former pro surfer Pat Magee (was featured on the original Endless Summer) and Texas country singer Larry Joe Taylor hail from Port Aransas and that's all I can think of. Oh yeah, the coach who invented the Wing-T offense (his name has slipped my mind) came out of Ingleside and went on to coach at the University of Texas.

<small>[ June 05, 2003, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: big daddy russ ]</small>

3afan2K3
06-05-2003, 09:11 PM
does dabryan blanton count

slpybear the bullfan
06-05-2003, 09:15 PM
Well, let's see...

Bridgeport has one sports figure we can lay claim too... Kyle Clifton, 10 yr linebacker for the New York Jets.

Other notable things Bridgeport is Famous for...

Our Rock Crushers... If you drive in the metroplex, you drive on roads where the material came from Bridgeport and Chico...

Our wide open "spread" offense that the football team runs. Former All-State QB Phillip Daugherty was the last general to run it. He is now at Texas Tech and I expect to hear a LOT more from him...

And of Course, the SLPYBEAR is from Bridgeport! wink

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-05-2003, 09:15 PM
Juan Castillo - Offensive Line coach for the Philadelphia Eagles. Port Isabel, TX born and raised.

wildstangs
06-05-2003, 10:07 PM
Sweetwater - Sammy Baugh, John Layfield (Pro Wrestler in the WWE) Barry Windham (Also a former pro wrestler.

pres. ya ya ya pinky
06-05-2003, 10:33 PM
Have ya'll heard of the YA YA'S From Bandera,Texas? They are known for their beauty and great personalities. Also 2nd most famous is Arky Blue. Bandera is fun loving town and they have great fans!!! :) :) :)

exbccards76'smom
06-06-2003, 01:14 AM
Let me see:

Born in Hardin County; Birthplace of George "possum" Jones.

Live in Orange County: Both Tracy Byrd and Clay Walker are from Vidor.

Work in Port Arthur: Famous for Little Joe Washington and Janis Joplin.

Beaumont: Home of "The Big Bopper", Johnny and Edgar Winter, Mark Chesnutt,Bubba Smith.

and Bridge City: Home of New York Giants place kicker Matt Bryant and former UT and Bridge City Standout Steve Wooster.

Jacket2000
06-06-2003, 01:54 AM
Ernest Tubb is from my hometown of Bristol, Texas and Johnny Paycheck is from Ennis.
J2K

<small>[ June 06, 2003, 01:55 AM: Message edited by: Jacket2000 ]</small>

Keith7
06-06-2003, 02:10 AM
In Gainesville we have former Cowboy, and current Falcon's cornerback Kevin Mathis.. Dallas Desperado D-lineman Chad Pegues.. Thats all I can think of right now that grew up in Gainesville.. Jake "The Snake" lives here.. also about 4 years ago, a hot air baloon that was sopposed to go around the world ended up in Gainesville after the person in it abondoned it, that made national news.. Oh and also Dennis Rodman went to college here at NCTC to play basketball when we had a basketball team, but quit cuz he didnt like the coach.. and its said that Elvis once played a free concert at our baseball stadium before he was famous.. and our most Famous celebrity that still lives here today is Micheal Jackson.. if you dont believe me i have proof... Micheal Jackson's Address (http://phone.people.yahoo.com/py/psPhoneEntry.py?firstname=Mike&lastname=Jackson&street=1009+E+Main+St&city=Gainesville&state=TX&zip=76240-4908&phone=9406654222)

<small>[ June 06, 2003, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: Keith7 ]</small>

Cameronbystander
06-06-2003, 07:52 AM
From Cameron where I currently live -
Drayton McClane, owner of the Astros

From Weatherford where I grew up -
Larry Hagman (aka - J.R. Ewing)
Mary Martin stage and screen star (the first Peter Pan)and also Larry Hagman's mother

shellman54
06-06-2003, 08:49 AM
well, i'm originally from baytown, so i can think of a couple of quaterbacks that come to mind, clint stoerner, now with the cowboys, and ell roberson III, playing for kansas state, could be drafted next year. also, country singer chris caigle is from baytown. ken caminiti lives on the outskirts of town, but i'm not sure if i want to claim that...............

vet93
06-06-2003, 09:17 AM
Ballinger's most famous current native son is Spike Dykes (former coach at tech). Also the guy who wrote "Home on the Range" was reportedly from Ballinger. Also Cedric Benson went to elementary school a few years in Ballinger but moved on to Midland darn it :mad:

3afan2K3
06-06-2003, 10:12 AM
wildstangs:
Sweetwater - Sammy Baugh, John Layfield (Pro Wrestler in the WWE) Barry Windham (Also a former pro wrestler.since he mentioned wreslting i had to go look for more famous wrestlers from Texas
"Stone Cold"Steve Austin (Victoria, Texas)
Terry Funk,
Shawn "The Heartbreak Kid" Michaels (San Antonio, TX)
Dustin Rhodes aka. Goldust (Austin)
"Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase
Stan"The Lariet"Hansen
Barry Windham (sweetwater)
"Outlaw" Ron Bass
Bradshaw aka. John Layfield (sweetwater)
Booker T (Houston/Harlem)
Eddie Guerrero (El Paso)
Undertaker (Houston)
Von Erichs

<small>[ June 06, 2003, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: 3afan2K3 ]</small>

3afan2K3
06-06-2003, 10:14 AM
go forney

<small>[ June 06, 2003, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: 3afan2K3 ]</small>

64sdad
06-06-2003, 10:24 AM
exbccards76'smom:
Let me see:

Beaumont: Home of "The Big Bopper", Johnny and Edgar Winter, Mark Chesnutt,Bubba Smith.

and Bridge City: Home of New York Giants place kicker Matt Bryant and former UT and Bridge City Standout Steve Wooster.What about Shane Dronnet Atlanta Falcons, Jason Matthews Titans.

vet93
06-06-2003, 11:54 AM
How about the Von Ericks? Didn't they come from
Texas...talk about a tragic family.

3afan2K3:

wildstangs:
Sweetwater - Sammy Baugh, John Layfield (Pro Wrestler in the WWE) Barry Windham (Also a former pro wrestler.since he mentioned wreslting i had to go look for more famous wrestlers from Texas
"Stone Cold"Steve Austin (Victoria, Texas)
Terry Funk,
Shawn "The Heartbreak Kid" Michaels (San Antonio, TX)
Dustin Rhodes aka. Goldust (Austin)
"Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase
Stan"The Lariet"Hansen
Barry Windham (sweetwater)
"Outlaw" Ron Bass
Bradshaw aka. John Layfield (sweetwater)
Booker T (Houston/Harlem)
Eddie Guerrero (El Paso)
Undertaker (Houston)

exbccards76'smom
06-06-2003, 12:16 PM
64sdad:

exbccards76'smom:
Let me see:

and Bridge City: Home of New York Giants place kicker Matt Bryant and former UT and Bridge City Standout Steve Wooster.What about Shane Dronnet Atlanta Falcons, Jason Matthews Titans.Sorry I for Shane and Jason...I did that piece at one o'clock in the morning...brain freeze I guess

TexasHSFootball
06-06-2003, 01:22 PM
Stone Cold Steve Austin is not from Victoria.. he is actually from Edna, 20 miles from Victoria.

Matthew328
06-06-2003, 06:39 PM
Hmmm from Everman
Barron Wortham, former Cowboys and Titans LB
Kevin Robinzine, 1988 Olympic Gold Medalist 4x400 Relay
Ellis Burks, current major leaguer played with Red Sox and now with the Indians
John Turntine, signed with Detriot Lions

There is also a rapper on Dr. Dre's label that lived in Everman for a while even though he isn't from here..(I know most of you guys aren't rap fans..LOL) His name is Nocturnal..by the way he ain't that great..LOL