PDA

View Full Version : Best Coach

rhino33
07-27-2004, 04:29 PM
Who (in your opinion) is the best coach in football history at any level (high school college or pro)?

I pick Vince Lombardi

Old Tiger
07-27-2004, 04:46 PM
It's a toss up between DLS' coach, Bobby Bowden, St. Johns coach.

Gobbla2001
07-27-2004, 07:06 PM
Folks are gunna mention names like Landry and Lombardi, but I don't think of them as the best coaches, but as the pioneers of coaching and football... Best of their time? No doubt...

I hand it to Bobby Bowden of Florida State... FSU was Florida's equivelent of our Texas State University (San Marcos)... It was never FSU or Florida State, it was FSU Tallahassee...

They stunk it up and back in the day would have prolly been beatin' up pretty bad by then SWTSU, but now they're in top tens ALL of the time...

Wouldn't have been possible if not for Bowden...

sinton66
07-27-2004, 08:18 PM
High School- hard to argue with G.A. Moore.

College- toss-up between Bobby Bowden and Jimmy Johnson.

Pro- Tom Landry

Old Tiger
07-27-2004, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
High School- hard to argue with G.A. Moore.

College- toss-up between Bobby Bowden and Jimmy Johnson.

Pro- Tom Landry Yall are forgitting St. Johns coach. All time winningest coach!

Gobbla2001
07-27-2004, 08:31 PM
John Gagliardi is a heck of a coach... He has made St. John's the most successful program in the NCAA's ever in his 51 or so years there... If not the best, one of the best...

I just give my vote to Bowden... He does awesome in recruiting, training, dicipline and play-calling... He's a genius...

I know this one will get all of the Celina and PP fans rowdy... I almost voted for Moore, but his recruiting, though good, is not better than Bowden's... And yes, that was a joke...

CRHSeagle
07-27-2004, 09:15 PM
What about Eddie Robinson?

Gobbla2001
07-27-2004, 09:41 PM
Made Grambling a household name, and not just for Black College football fans...

Very good suggestion...

District303aPastPlayer
07-27-2004, 11:13 PM
Geno Auriema is a good coach... so are GA Moore, Lombardi, The De La Salle Coach, Paterno, Robinson and Bowden.,

Keith7
07-28-2004, 01:18 AM
Coach Keith Mac has lead Texas Tech to 4 national championships in 15 years on NCAA2005.. so he has to be the best coach in my opinion

Old Tiger
07-28-2004, 01:23 AM
Casey Lane - 131-0 in 10 years(NCAA 2004)

Keith7
07-28-2004, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Casey Lane - 131-0 in 10 years(NCAA 2004)

u must be one of those people who play importantgames in overtime junior varsity mode

CatWoman
07-28-2004, 02:07 PM
High School - Gordon Wood (Randy Allen a close 2nd)

College - Barry Switzer

Pro - Tom Landry

IMHO

Old Tiger
07-28-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
u must be one of those people who play importantgames in overtime junior varsity mode Nah 5 min. qtr. on Hiesmen ;)

Phil C
07-28-2004, 02:22 PM
What about Chuck Noll of Pittsburgh Steelers. This team had never won a championship and had losing seasons before he came. His first year he only won one game but he used his draft choices wisely and got a few good trades and they dominated the 70s with basically the same players.

fullhouse
07-28-2004, 03:21 PM
My husband played on two National Championship teams for Jim Wacker at Southwest Texas. That man impressed me and everyone he came in contact with. He LOVED his players, was a wonderful Christian, great family man, and was a very knowledable coach as well. He kept in touch with most of his previous players until the day he died. He gets my vote.

Old Tiger
07-28-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by fullhouse
My husband played on two National Championship teams for Jim Wacker at Southwest Texas. That man impressed me and everyone he came in contact with. He LOVED his players, was a wonderful Christian, great family man, and was a very knowledable coach as well. He kept in touch with most of his previous players until the day he died. He gets my vote. Sounds like a helluva coach!

JasperDog94
07-28-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by CatWoman
College - Barry Switzer Not trying to start anything, but how can you put a coach as the best when he was caught paying players?

JasperDog94
07-28-2004, 03:53 PM
...and don't get me wrong. I'm sure that DLS's coach is good, but until you play the entire state, you don't deserve to be called state champions.

:rolleyes:

HighSchool Fan
07-28-2004, 04:22 PM
Gainesville's coach has never lost a game, he has to be the best. j/k:D :D

Old Tiger
07-28-2004, 04:25 PM
You can't argue with that HS fan :D but IMO Kaorder is the best coach! :):D

BrahmaMom
07-28-2004, 04:59 PM
Wacker was @ SWTSU when I was there--he was all fullhouse said he was, and then some. Quite a man, far beyond being an excellent coach, the sport lost a great inspiration when he passed away. My personal favorite (oh, gee, ya think I'm biased?) is Ken Hatfield, currently at Rice. Again, an honest, kind, Christian role model. He's got a tough job, but he does it well, the right way, with dignity and faith. He is the 5th most winningest coach still coaching, I think. I am biased, but long before we had an Owl in the family, BrahmaDad respected him as a person and a coach (BrahmaDad did some unofficial scouting for his brother who coached D-II football in the midwest years ago, so he's followed him for many years). There are a lot of great men out there, at all levels, to make up for those who bend and break the rules. I respect the ones who do it right and change and better kids' lives in the process.

CatWoman
07-29-2004, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Not trying to start anything, but how can you put a coach as the best when he was caught paying players?

Well, he has an exceptional record, and not that I support paying college players, but I think the definitive phrase here is "got caught".

Phil C
07-29-2004, 08:51 AM
What about Gil Steinke of Texas A&I University (now Texas A&M University at Kingsville). He played football there and then played for the Eagles for a few years and came back to Kingsville to Coach there around 1952 I think till he retired in 1977 to become athletic director full time. His team won several NAIA National Championships and started a long win streak while he was there that went to 44 games which threated OK's record 47 game win streak. Eugene Upshaw the great Oakland Offensive tackle for many years was one of his players in Kingsville. He was one of the finest coaches at a smaller school and it is a wonder that the bigger schools never could get them even though I have heard that the Baylor and Texas A&M job could have been his for the taking at one time.