PDA

View Full Version : Bellville22's D20 Preview/Predictions

Bellville22
07-27-2004, 03:29 PM
'Bulls-Eye' and 'BrahmaMom', sorry this took so long, but here it is...

Last year any doubt there may have been as to whether Bellville was the top team in the district was quickly eliminated after the undefeated Brahmas traveled to the Snakepit and dominated undefeated Navasota for 4 quarters. Bellville let it be known that they weren't ready to hand over the district crown, and established itself as an elite team in the entire state. This year that doesn't seem to be the case. There doesn't appear to be any state powerhouses and there doesn't seem to be a clear cut district champ, and there may not be one until Week 10 is over. The loss of the struggling program of Stafford and the addition of a consistantly strong program like Rice Cons. should make D20 very competitive and very exciting, but I wouldn't classify it as one of the power districts in the state. 4 of the teams are used to making the playoffs year after year, but that won't be the case for one of them this year. Although I don't see a team that can dominate this district like Bellville last year, I do consider Navasota the preseason favorite. After that 3 teams could be placed in just about any order. It will certainly be an interesting year, one in which scheduling, home-field advantage, and strength/weakness matchups may play a huge role. Here's how I see it playing out.....

1) NAVASOTA: Last year the Rattlers were somewhat of a surprise team. They came from virtually nowhere and climbed in to the Top 10 for a while. They were never really able to get back on track after the Week 7 loss to Bellville, losing at Sealy in a close game, and bowing out in the first round to a Manor team with a tremendous defense. They return a solid group that I believe will lead them to the District Title. RB Chris Smith and QB Scott Martin will lead an offense that returns 9 starters. Smith is a big back with above average speed. He can pound away all game and if the seam is there, he'll break a long one. Tough runner who won't be brought down by one guy. Martin compliments him well. A speedy QB with good field presence. Smart player who runs the option well and should be able to throw enough this year. The Rattler defense is a bit of a question mark, and if they don't figure it out, they'll have a tough time stopping Huffman of Rice, and containing the athletes Bellville will field. The offense, however, should be there, and last year they were very good in the return game. I see Navasota taking the district and representing D20 as the big school, but it appears they'll run into a Manor team that should be even stronger than last year.

2) RICE CONSOL.: The new kid on the block amongst the teams in D20 is Rice. They come off a very strong '03 campaign in which there was talk of a possible State Championship. They lost POY Candidate Spears, and a few others, but return a very good defense, and, in my opinion, the best RB in the district in Charles Huffman. Last year Huffman rushed for over 1,800 yards and 25 TDs, this while sharing carries with RB Spears. He'll be the feature back for the Raiders this year, and I think he's one of the best runners in the state. Bellville didn't have an answer for him last year, but was able to defeat Rice in the 36-33 shootout. He's one of the stronger runners you'll come across, and possesses break-away speed. Should cause matchup problems for everyone in D20. The strong point of the Raiders, however, might be the defense. Several return from last years solid group. DE's King and Shaw are the kind of athletes who can take over a game and provide a solid foundation for Rice to build a dominating defense. They'll cause problems for just about every team, and if they can get to Smith and Martin, Rice may have what it takes to upset Navasota. Rice won't win pretty, they'll control the ball and pound Huffman at the opposition, then look to play smothering defense behind those 2 ends. If I'm not mistaken, I also think Rice will be helped by a very good JV team of a year ago. Should be a solid team who may go 2 or 3 rounds deep as long as they don't turn the ball over.

3) SEALY: Sealy returns more than anyone in the district, but I'm not sure they have the talent to finish on top. They seem to have found a QB in Zapalac, and if they utilize Brantley at TE, they have a weapon that is hard to stop. A pretty hard nosed D from last year returns 8, and Sealy has always played solid D. I just think they'll struggle a bit finding playmakers on offense. The wild-card though is P Justin Brantley. Arguably the top punter in the state, he has the kind of leg that provides field position that can be THE difference in close games. Combine that with a stingy D, and Sealy could make it frustrating on opposing teams. This team could take the crown if they find some offense, or could miss the playoffs if they don't show up to play against rival Bellville Week 10.

4) BELLVILLE: I know they say that the really good programs don't rebuild, they reload, but it's virtually impossible to try to replace a class like last years. Bellville said good-bye to a class that in my opinion was the best it's ever seen, who made up a team that in my opinion was the best in school history. Aside from the athletes, they'll really miss the leadership that the Class of '04 provided. But good programs move on, and I'm sure Bellville will rise to the top again in the near future. As for this year, they may not have the talent or provide the results of last year, but they will be fun to watch. Last year's WR Sanders should takeover the duties of QB this year, and he's a kid who makes things happen with the ball in his hands. He has breakaway speed and agility that make him a DI WR prospect. But this will be his first extended time at QB, and it'll take some time for him to figure it out. If he learns fast in the pre-district, he may be able to take the Bulls back into the playoffs. RB Bryant and Benjamin will see quite a bit of time in the backfield, and are equally as exciting to watch. They won't have an O-line like last year, but they are the kind of runners who can create on their own. This years offense will certainly not be the poised versitile machine of a year ago, but it should be fun. Expect some option, expect some misdirection, and even expect a little confusion. But in that confusion, the Brahmas have 3 or 4 guys who can turn a busted play into a TD. The defense was hit hard as well by graduation. A pretty solid D-line returns, and should provide some stability, but the LB's, although fast, will be undersized, and that's not a good thing in this district with back like Huffman and Smith coming at you. Bellville's biggest problem I'm afraind is going to be leadership. When the going gets tough, someone is going to have to step up and take charge, I'm just not real sure who that will be. I'm hoping Sanders can assume that role. Last year Bellville had several of those kids, as well as a virtual coach on the feild in QB Buenger. I see Bellville having problems slowing Huffman and moving the ball against the Rice D. Navasota also provides and unfavorable matchup with their style of play and athletes. If Bellville is going to return to the playoffs this year, I think they'll have to beat rival Sealy, which is possible, and might be probable by the end of the year if this young team puts it together. Will be an interesting year, expect a very talented Soph. class to contribute quite a bit this year.

5) COLUMBUS: Coach Althaus believes in defense, and the Cards always have a good one. Despite losing a bunch on that side of the ball, I don't expect that to change. But the offense hasn't been there, and I don't look for that to improve in this district. If they play traditional Columbus D, and get a few turnovers, they may be able to sneak up on someone and throw a serious wrinkle into the race, but I expect them only to beat Hempstead in district play.

6) HEMPSTEAD: Van Duren is pretty good, and they'll probably be pretty good in basketball again.

Before you track me down 'BrahmaMom', just know that I'll root for the Brahmas just as hard as ever. You know I have to give my honest, unbiased opinion, so that's what I did. I just hope I'm wrong:D . Hopefully 'Red-Mustache' has a better feel for this stuff than me. See ya in August.

BrahmaMom
07-27-2004, 11:06 PM
Well done, 22. You have scouted the opposition well and laid out the Brahmas fairly. I think if we can all sit back, relax, and enjoy the games, the Bulls will pull it together admirably. I have a little bit of a feel for Sanders, and I think he will rise to challenge of providing leadership for the team. Jabow is a natural leader, so offense is in good shape. I don't know the defensive players well, so I can't voice any opinion, though Coach Valentine is a good mentor. I still think lucky haircuts on Thursdays before games can't hurt anything! The Red Storm is waiting on you, Bulls! In the meantime, Bellville will have to be patient and back these guys as they get their bearings on the field. We love 'em when they win, but also if they lose. It's easy to back a championship team, true fans are in the stands when the team is rebuilding. GO BRAHMAS!

marlin fan
07-27-2004, 11:10 PM
hey its me the real marlin fan... We need to meet this year at Bellville Vs. Marlin!!!

Bull's-eye
07-28-2004, 12:28 AM
:clap: Good preview! I think this district will be a 4 team race. My early favorite is Sealy. They return most of their starters and should be extremely tough on defense. Last year, Bellville rolled up over 400 yds against Rice and Navasota, but could only managed 269 yds against the Tigers. If Sealy can improve their offense, they will be extremely tough to beat. Navasota will have to open up their offense and find other weapons to keep teams from keying on Smith. Sealy held them to 215 yds and slowed Smith to 3.6 yds per carry. Navasota gave up way too many yards on defense and must improve to win this district. Bellville and Rice graduated a great number of starters from two very good teams. Rice will have to rebuild most of it's offense, but they do have a great back in Huffman. He won't have the benefit of Spears and their past huge offensive line. Teams should be able to key more on Huffman, unless they can find some more weapons. Their defense should be good, but they did give up huge chunks of yards against Bellville and Port Isabel. Bellville will have to replace most of their starters, but they do have the luxury of a very strong football program. They should be very explosive with the running of Sanders, Bryant and Benjamin. Bellville will have to find help at linebacker and the defensive end positions. This will be critical to stop Huffman and Smith. Bellville has plenty of pride and is not ready to give up their crown, much less not even making the play-offs.
Early prediction: Sealy, Navasota, Bellville, Rice, Columbus and Hempstead. Bellville or Rice could surprise and win this district, if their young players step up.

Bull's-eye
07-28-2004, 12:28 PM
The "Red Storm" has made his early predictions:
1.Bellville
2.Navasota
3.Sealy
4.Rice
5.Columbus
6.Hempstead

The "Red Storm' has faith in his Brahmas! They did lose some great athletes, but they do return plenty of speed. They will also add more speed from some very talented sophmores. He told me of how in 2001, Bellville graduated some great players. Most people didn't think the 2002 team could play at that same level, but we know different. Bellville always seem to have unknown players step up and become pretty good players. Last year Grell played great at middle linebacker, after not seeing much action his junior year. Runnels, a great defensive player, moved to RB and rushed for more yards than Gobert. The "Red Storm" has heard all the talk, he said it's time play the games and decide on the field who will win district 20-3A.

BrahmaMom
07-28-2004, 12:41 PM
I have to give the district nod to Sealy. History is a great predictor and their tradition is embedded. I think we'll be surprised at how they come out. Bellville has the strong program to develop young guys; I don't think Navasota can walk the walk quite yet, though the talent is there. It takes years to grow into the tradition; Bellville followed Sealy, and I think Navasota will get there. It will be fun to watch these Brahmas "grow up" right in front of our eyes. I tend to go w/ Bull's Eye's prediction. I think Bellville will find a way to make the play-offs. It might look ugly and they might be rough around the edges, but I think they'll be there. Our defense will have to come on strong and fast, but I think they will get the job done. Rice is tough historically and Columbus always gives us a battle, so it won't be easy. Go Bulls!

Bellville22
07-28-2004, 02:26 PM
Excellent points from all of you, can't wait for Friday Nights at the Pasture.

fullhouse
07-28-2004, 03:15 PM
Wow! Good job y'all. These last 30 days are going to take FOREVER! I, too, give Sealy the nod ( especially if 7 on 7 was any kind of indicator ). To see our boys come within one point of LaMarque in the finals at the U of H combine was something else! GO TIGERS! ( I can't wait for practice to start ~ I've spent most of my summer shagging footballs :D ). Good luck to my Bellville son (Bryant) too;) .

Old Tiger
07-28-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by marlin fan
hey its me the real marlin fan... We need to meet this year at Bellville Vs. Marlin!!! He's not much of a talker in person but he'll talk your head off on the internet :D

BrahmaMom
07-28-2004, 04:49 PM
Had a talk with our Buddy the Red Mustache today. He is convinced, and convincing, in his argument for the Brahmas as District champs. He knows his stuff, so I take his opinion under consideration. Fullhouse, I don't think 7-on-7 is an indicator for a team that runs the ball, but I still think Sealy will be the very strong favorite. The Red Mustache almost had me putting money down on the Bulls, though, he is very persuasive. I love this time of year--too bad football isn't a year-round sport! I'll think of you as you are shopping and packing coolers for 2-a-days--meals at this time of year get to be a major project.

Specklebelly
07-28-2004, 05:58 PM
Nice post 22. I feel you are being a bit overly pessimistic about your home team’s chances though. I think it will play out like this:

1. Sealy - They will have the top defense and special teams in the district. This district looks to be heavy on the D which means a lot of close games and their quality in the kicking game will put them over the hump. Plus, I think their coaching staff is consistently underrated due to the TJ factor that still hangs over their heads. Everyone is always quick to point out Sealy has not won state since TJ left but nobody ever seems to acknowledge the fact that maybe he left because the talent was drying up. They have it again though and should win district.

2. Bellville - You’re selling yourself short putting Bellville 4th in the district. Sanders should provide plenty of spark offensively and they will surely be strong in the trenches as normal. Bellville always seems to have an above average kicking game as well. No sense in elaborating any more on Bellville since the above posts pretty much cover them.

3. Rice Cons. - Not having Spears anymore is a killer and the O line only returns one starter. The running game will suffer due to the losses up front. One thing we always have though is plenty of horses to carry the ball and this year is no different. If we can find some blocking, the offense will be fine. Defensively, the secondary took a huge hit (no Spears) and we are thin on D line. There's a lot of potential on defense and it is where we normally excel. I have faith the defense will be fine. Being the smallest school in such a competitive district really makes staying healthy crutial. We just dont have the depth of Sealy, Bellville and Navasota. If any of our key players go down, we could be done.

4. Navasota - Not in the playoffs and Ill tell you why. Defense. Every team in this district can play it except Navasota and Hempstead. There are four very capable teams in this district and one is going to have to stay home. I think as strong as this team is on offense, they just will not have enough on the other side of the ball to get it done. I could easily be proven real wrong with this pick but like I said, one of the four has to stay home.

5. Columbus - No team in this district will play harder. They will grind, pound, and bust their butts all game. They are just way short on the talent lately though. If they could find any talent at the skill positions, they could pull an upset or two. I guarantee there is not a stronger 5th place team in any other 3A district in the state.

6. Hempstead - They'll get their revenge in round ball.

adof
07-28-2004, 07:16 PM
well everyone knows there going to be a close race between sealy bellville and navasota!!! But what people are not thinking about last year fair time who was the team that gave bellville offense and deffesne a really hard time~(Columbus) Columbs was the sneaky team last year they played in alot of tight ball games and hasnt lost as many players as other teams in the district just wanted to state that!!! But back to bellville, i think bellville problem is going to be leadership~ someone going to have to step up!!! As i said earlyier this summer i was at a couple of 7on7 games and sanders look great throwing the ball just no 1 was there to catch them acept cj and brandon harris!!! josh drop a few he didnt show much in 7on7 i dont know if his knee injury is still bothering him or what!!! But will the two harris be able to make big catches in the big game? Hempstead~ is returning alot of starters ppl are saying sealy is but thats not true hempstead is, and when i am talking hempstead alot of people are prob. haha !!!:clap: at this put new coaching staff larry gurthman 230 4.5 40 big kid i am looking for hempstead to surprise alot of people this season!!!:clap:

downlower
07-28-2004, 07:25 PM
Larry Gurthman, he quit last year, don't know if you can count on him, adof.

Bull's-eye
07-29-2004, 07:48 PM
Check out the Bellville Times, the "Red Storm" has a Brahma trivia contest. It is part of his ad, located in section B (sports).

scotty
07-29-2004, 08:58 PM
Monday morning everything starts and you can just feel it in the air. Paper championships, before the season opens, mean very little, but it does make for interesting reading. Brahma 22 said that it could boil down to week 10 when Sealy and Bellville meet and if Sealy isn’t ready to play they could be left out of the playoffs.
While I don't disagree with any of that, that isn’t when they play. Sealy host Bellville on Oct. 15 and that is Austin County fair week. I have yet to meet a coach who didn’t hate that week. Too many distractions and the kids are out of school for a few days. It changes their routine.
Sealy finishes against Navasota and that game will be in the Snake Pit.
I believe that any of four teams could have been picked first in district. The coaches do this and since Sealy has the most people coming back, that’s who they picked.
The Tigers could be improved as they have pretty good people coming back everywhere but at running back. A number of kids will be tried, as speed is available, but they are all pretty small much like Bryant in Bellville.
Coach Althhaus in Columbus just came to the Cardinals when they no longer had any speed. A couple of fast backs could make it a five-team race for first. He deserves a lot of respect.
Big changes have been made at Rice as Coach Dumont takes over for Coach Rusty Roark. He has had a firm hand on the Raider athletes for the past few years. Saw him with his troops at some basketball tournaments and he just hammers away at disciplining those kids, not only during the game but between games as well. In this day and time most coaches have problems with keeping such tight reins on the kids, but I’m told that they love him. More power to him.
Chancellor has a load of good kids coming back. He has the Bellville program going about as well as they have ever been. Don’t let the few returning starters fool you as so many gained valuable playing time during those blowouts. Not only in the regular season but in the playoffs as well.
Navasota has great numbers and a fine QB and RB. Who knows it could all boil down to the last game but then again it could all be over by then. That is why they play of Friday nights because we just don’t know.

Bull's-eye
07-30-2004, 12:34 PM
Week 10 should be very interesting, with Bellville going to Rice and Sealy heading to the "Snake Pit". It is possible that there could be a 4-way tie for first. Don't think the championship will be decided until all the games have been played.

venomous tat2
07-30-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Specklebelly
Nice post 22. I feel you are being a bit overly pessimistic about your home team’s chances though. I think it will play out like this:

1. Sealy - They will have the top defense and special teams in the district. This district looks to be heavy on the D which means a lot of close games and their quality in the kicking game will put them over the hump. Plus, I think their coaching staff is consistently underrated due to the TJ factor that still hangs over their heads. Everyone is always quick to point out Sealy has not won state since TJ left but nobody ever seems to acknowledge the fact that maybe he left because the talent was drying up. They have it again though and should win district.

2. Bellville - You’re selling yourself short putting Bellville 4th in the district. Sanders should provide plenty of spark offensively and they will surely be strong in the trenches as normal. Bellville always seems to have an above average kicking game as well. No sense in elaborating any more on Bellville since the above posts pretty much cover them.

3. Rice Cons. - Not having Spears anymore is a killer and the O line only returns one starter. The running game will suffer due to the losses up front. One thing we always have though is plenty of horses to carry the ball and this year is no different. If we can find some blocking, the offense will be fine. Defensively, the secondary took a huge hit (no Spears) and we are thin on D line. There's a lot of potential on defense and it is where we normally excel. I have faith the defense will be fine. Being the smallest school in such a competitive district really makes staying healthy crutial. We just dont have the depth of Sealy, Bellville and Navasota. If any of our key players go down, we could be done.

4. Navasota - Not in the playoffs and Ill tell you why. Defense. Every team in this district can play it except Navasota and Hempstead. There are four very capable teams in this district and one is going to have to stay home. I think as strong as this team is on offense, they just will not have enough on the other side of the ball to get it done. I could easily be proven real wrong with this pick but like I said, one of the four has to stay home.

5. Columbus - No team in this district will play harder. They will grind, pound, and bust their butts all game. They are just way short on the talent lately though. If they could find any talent at the skill positions, they could pull an upset or two. I guarantee there is not a stronger 5th place team in any other 3A district in the state.

6. Hempstead - They'll get their revenge in round ball.

venomous tat2
07-30-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by venomous tat2

as for navasota what kind of bread would you like to eat with that perdiction "cause you'll be eating it (lol). We will have a defense.

Bellville22
07-31-2004, 02:30 PM
'scotty': nice post, you make solid points and I look forward to hearing from you more during the year.

My mistake on the scheduling mix up. I did my homework on the players, but failed to glance at a schedule, which could play a huge role in this district. I hate to see the big rivalry falling on "Fair Week", aka "Hell Week", "Upset Special Week", and "Why can't the fair be in the spring Week?". Regardless of what players, fans, and coaches say, fair week DOES distract players, and with the two teams of Austin Co. meeting, and possibly fielding similar talent, fair week may play a huge role in deciding this district and the playoff reps. I'm also just disappointed that they can't play such a huge rivalry the last week, possibly for all the marbles, possibly for a spot in the dance. Oh well, not my call.

It's almost here.

Bellville22
08-02-2004, 01:57 PM
If anyone has a complete D20 schedule, can they post it?

marlin fan
08-02-2004, 02:11 PM
ill send u a link on AIM K???

Bull's-eye
08-03-2004, 07:51 PM
How are the practices going?

:thinking:

Bellville22
08-04-2004, 11:16 AM
Haven't heard from any of the players. I figured Red Mustache might be up there checking it out, has he said anything.

Bull's-eye
08-04-2004, 12:38 PM
He watched Monday's practice. He said they were just in shorts & t-shirts. They didn't look very big, but he said they were very fast. Hopefully, with the pads on, they will look a little bigger.

Bellville22
08-29-2004, 06:20 PM
After finally seeing the Brahmas, thought I'd follow up on my preview...

It could be a rough year for Bellville. This team is very small and very inexperienced. While speed is their biggest asset, it doesn't compare to the speed of last year's team. The LB's are small, and although they play hard, just aren't ready to handle power backs like they'll see in district play. Offensively, I expect some of the confusion to be eliminated as the season goes on. Sanders threw the ball better than I expected, but average line play and dropped balls hurt Bellville. I think there will be some changes throughout the year at several positions, and hopefully it will do some good.

I'm sticking with my 4th place prediction for the Brahmas, and after seeing Navasota, I still like them to take the crown. Bellville could realistically go 3-7 with their rough schedule, but hopefully pride will prevail, coaches will help them get better, and the Brahmas will have a good year.

Keep the Brahma pride and work to get better every day. Best of luck, Go Bulls!

Pudlugger
08-29-2004, 07:33 PM
Well BV22 no one can call you a homer. It is always tough to evaluate a young team following a run like BV has had recently. I have some similar concerns about my Leps. Hopefully both teams will surprise some of us folks this year. Good luck.:)

BrahmaMom
08-29-2004, 08:05 PM
Patience, Brahma fans. This is not a slam dunk team. But there is some talent and heart. I'll back 'em till the end, but it may not be pretty as they pull it all together. They know they have an uphill battle. I think the loss in Round Rock might pay big dividends as the season progresses. Don't give up on my Bulls. There is leadership in that team, by the way. I expect it to be more evident as district play draws closer. Go Bulls!

NHSRattler60
08-29-2004, 10:19 PM
Hempstead all the way.