PDA

View Full Version : 3A schools in DFW area plus rapid growth...

KTJ
07-27-2004, 10:26 AM
Bowie
Gainesville
Pilot Point
Pottsboro
Sanger
Whitesboro
Bridgeport
Carrollton Ranchview
Decatur
Ft. Worth Castleberry
Lake Worth
Little Elm
Farmersville
Nevada Community
Princeton
Royse City
Van Alstyne
Dallas Madison
Dallas Roosevelt
Ferris
Kennedale
Wilmer-Hutchins
Commerce
Emory Rains
Quinlan Ford
Crandall
Eustace
Kaufman
Kemp
Wills Point

These schools are all within a 50-60 mile radius of DFW. Given the rapid growth occuring, especially north of DFW, I think these schools are in jeopardy of going 4A within a few years, which means a loss of 3A schools in the Metroplex. Well KTJ, what about those schools in 1A and 2A that will move up? And I say, there aren't enough of those schools in the area like there are now. Also, some of those lower classification schools won't stay in 3A long, given the rapid growth occuring. (See Celina - sure, they are 2A now but they'll be back in 3A next realignment.)

With that, some of these small towns are growing pretty quickly-- Gainesville, Pilot Point, Decatur, Bridgeport, Carrollton Ranchview (well Carrollton already has three 5A schools, RL Turner, Creekview, and Newman Smith [which former Gainesville coach, Coach Copeland, is now the HC there] so Ranchview will be there soon), Lake Worth, Little Elm (possibility of 4A next realignment and they just became 3A not too long ago), Farmersville, Princeton, Nevada Community, Royse City, Van Alstyne, Kennedale, Quinland Ford, Crandall, and Kaufman.

Remember when Frisco was a small 3A school and now it's a good-sized 4A school, along with its (new) rival Frisco Centennial. Now the plans are for Frisco to have at least 8 high schools in the next 10 years.

The growth in the DFW area is getting crazy and it is as rapid as you can imagine. Some of these schools won't be 3A for long.

Old Dog
07-27-2004, 10:53 AM
In the Austin area we are growing like crazy also (not DFW's magnitude) and it's honestly quite scary to consider what 10-20 years will look like.

What it will take to finance all of this growth is beyond my simple mind, let alone my tax tab.

Cat22
07-27-2004, 10:56 AM
You're right KTJ. I use to work for a bank that was considering opening some branches in the DFW area, particularly to the north of DFW. They did some extensive studies and found that this area was one the the most rapid growing areas in the country. Needless to say, they did put a few branches up there.

Old Tiger
07-27-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Old Dog
In the Austin area we are growing like crazy also (not DFW's magnitude) and it's honestly quite scary to consider what 10-20 years will look like.

What it will take to finance all of this growth is beyond my simple mind, let alone my tax tab. I noticed this also! I think Manor was lucky they didn't go up.

slpybear the bullfan
07-27-2004, 12:12 PM
On 7-3A...

Decatur will have a hard time missing a 4A designation at the next realignment. They were very close and still are actively growing...

Ranchview will blow through 3A next go around. This season they have only two or three grades in HS and with four I don't think there is any doubt they will move up next go round. 4A or 5A is probably the question to ask there....

Bridgeport is still well within the bounds of 3A and I doubt is in any jeopardy for about 10 years at the current rate of growth if the current brackets for population are maintained...

But that is just my Opin and anything can happen.

JasperDog94
07-27-2004, 12:19 PM
With the number of larger schools going up, hopefully that keeps us East Texas teams securely in 3A for a long time.:)

bullfrog_alumni_02
07-27-2004, 01:02 PM
if too many schools get to big too fast, they will likely change the number backets around and more students will be allowed in 3A school until the bloating simmers down and evens itself out throughout the system. it would look something like this,

1A-under 219

2A- 220-400

3A- 401-999

4A- 1000-2300

5A- 2301 and up

i know these numbers are no where near right, but its just an example, but it would mean that some of these schools would stay in 3A to keep 4A from becoming too populated and the other A's under populated.

Old Tiger
07-27-2004, 01:04 PM
nice numbers. They seem about right.

oh well
07-27-2004, 01:07 PM
We are getting smaller out West. The numbers of the future are going to be diff. I will agree

KTJ
07-27-2004, 02:27 PM
I think it's time for 6A. I don't know why the UIL doesn't realize this.

JasperDog94
07-27-2004, 02:46 PM
Because of the travel times...especially for west texas.

KTJ
07-27-2004, 03:07 PM
How many west Texas teams would even be in 6A? Right now, San Angelo Central is going all the way up to Amarillo and Abilene is going to Midland/Odessa.

Matthew328
07-27-2004, 03:59 PM
Of the schools KTJ mentioned the only ones I see that have a real shot at going 4A next go round are:

Ranchview
Decatur
Little Elm
Kennedale
Quinlan Ford

The rest of the schools are either small 3A's that only recently moved up or have fairly stable populations....Gainesville for example has stayed at right around 800 for a while now....Castleberry is in an area that really isn't growing much and Wilmer-Hutchins is actually shrinking in enrollment...places like Royse City, Van Alstyne, Nevada Community, Pilot Point are really experiencing the growth...also look for some more 2A schools North of DFW especially in Denton County to move up.....Argyle is one that comes right to mind...

CRHSeagle
07-27-2004, 09:25 PM
With schools like Brewer Arlington Heights and Northside so close, Castleberry will stay 3a for a while unless theres some sort of dramatic change in numbers.

Matthew328
07-28-2004, 03:20 PM
Castleberry also was hurt by the scaling down of what was once Carswell Air Force Base...now Ft. Worth JRB......during thr early 1980's Castleberry was close to being a 5A school..becuase they drew most all of the base housing in Westworth......now 99% of that is gone and it has hurt the enrollment along with River Oaks being surronded on all sides and not having any room for growth....

WOS1
07-28-2004, 03:43 PM
While it is true that certain areas in Texas are growing at a rapid rate. Texas, as a whole, really isn't, beyond the natural population swell from more berths than deaths. There really isn't much influx from outside the state due to new industry, etc. Most of the growth in certain areas is due more to population shifts than actual growth. As some schools become 4A, others in 4A will become 3A. An example is this past year, 8 schools went from 3A to 4A while 7 schools went from 4A to 3A.

KTJ
07-28-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by WOS1
While it is true that certain areas in Texas are growing at a rapid rate. Texas, as a whole, really isn't, beyond the natural population swell from more berths than deaths. There really isn't much influx from outside the state due to new industry, etc. Most of the growth in certain areas is due more to population shifts than actual growth. As some schools become 4A, others in 4A will become 3A. An example is this past year, 8 schools went from 3A to 4A while 7 schools went from 4A to 3A.

But lets look at where those schools that are dropping in enrollement are located--mostly out in West Texas. Nothing is growing out there. The small town folk are leaving and heading to Lubbock, Amarillo, and Midland/Odessa. And even those cities aren't getting that much bigger, seeing as how those folks are leaving for Dallas, Houston, and Austin.

WOS1
07-28-2004, 10:13 PM
That's right, the population is shifting from areas such as you mention to the larger cities with more job opportunities. As a direct result, the suburbs continue to grow as those cities to the West continue to dwindle. The oil bust had a lot to do with what you continue to see out West even today. The same goes for our area over here in SE Texas, though we were not as totally dependent on oil as they were out West.

Old Green
07-28-2004, 10:33 PM
The same is happening here in the the Crossroads. Population is moving to the larger cities. In the victoria Advocate they were saying another 250 jobs will be lost a one of the Chemical Plants.

VWG
07-29-2004, 06:26 AM
Krum, TX. just outside of Denton could be 3A in a couple of years.
Although they don't play football now, there is a bond election coming up to build a stadium. Right now I think they have about 300 kids in high school, with a ton of people moving in to new housing divisions.