PDA

View Full Version : How bad will Marion's season really be?

jgbulldog
08-29-2002, 02:51 PM
Hey guys. I know yall usually dont talk about little schools like Marion, but does anyone know how they will really be? They are coming off the best season in school's history, winning a bi-distict game against Hondo, 47-12. But, they lost a lot of seniors, who took with them speed, experience, and most of all, leadership! I know that the team will lreally miss the all around leadership of back up QB, Jimmy Greene and TE/LB JD Meyer. They will also miss the 4.5 speed of FB Alonso Aguero who rushed for 1400 yards. Who does this team have left???? Will they even win a game this season???? Lack of depth, speed, and experience, and the calls of horrible coaching should make this season a disapointing one. Can anyone fill me in on how bad they will really be????

toby070
08-30-2002, 08:00 AM
One thing you guys always have is size, and your QB is good. I didn't pick you as top 3 in district, but am not counting them out. You may know more about bad calls then I do, but I've always thought y'all were a very well-coached team, and that can sometimes make up for having a little less talent. This team will suffer a dropoff from last year, but don't assume you have no shot at the playoffs.

I STILL think you guys should have beaten LaVernia last year though... http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

jgbulldog
08-31-2002, 04:24 PM
You are right Toby, Marion does have a lot of size, but unfortunately, it is taken for granted and not used in the right way. Marion's QB is very talented. He has size, speed, strength, leadership, and a dead aim arm. He is the total package. But, he has no one to throw to, and i think this, sadly, might affect his future. I do respect what you said about Marion always having good coaching, and they have, but the past few years, it has been horrible. Friday night, in Devine, the had numerous delay of game penalties, because the coach couldnt get the play in on time. And a draw play on 4th and 19 from your own 33 yd line in the second quarter???? These coaches will be the downfall of this team!

marion_man
09-01-2002, 02:25 PM
I know there are many in this forum that really don't care but I just want to voice my opinion about Marion. I'm a recent graduate of perhaps Marion's finest class and from what I've seen, the coming years are not looking good. The football program is about to hit really hard times. The talent pool just isn't there like it's been in recent years, and the few that have talent are dropping out of the program because of the lack of interest and enthusiasm in the program. It's really a sad thing to see. I wish the best for the team and the town of Marion, but now and for many years is not going to be a good time to be Bulldog fan. War the graduating class of '02, Marion's first and only class to bring a playoff victory.

toby070
09-01-2002, 05:10 PM
jpbulldog,

Since you are a more avid observer of Marion, I hate to argue your point, but what I saw in the two Wimberley regular season games (I missed the playoff game last year) were well-coached Marion teams. I know Wimberley was well coached, and I personally thought Wimberley had superior talent both times, but Marion had a chance to win both games. Just MHO....

BTW, Wimberley/Marion should be very interesting this year since both teams lost nearly everyone. I don't cover Wimberley anymore, and haven't seen them, but they moved the ball against what I thought was going to be a very tough Luling defense, so they may be better than I thought. I've heard that Nelms, the new Texan coach, emphasiszes speed and conditioning over strength, so maybe I won't have to listen to the "Wimberley uses steroids" crap from anyone this year!!!!!

Good luck, against anyone but Wimberley, I am a Marion supporter.