PDA

View Full Version : Who's the better receiver?Shipley or Cardwell.

Bobcatwideout
07-24-2004, 10:55 PM
Who's the better High School receiver Jordan Shipley or Cody Cardwell and why?

sinton66
07-24-2004, 11:00 PM
Who is Cody Cardwell? Jordan Shipley has broken records left and right, and has a vertical leap that is unbelievable until you SEE it.

Bobcatwideout
07-24-2004, 11:06 PM
Cody Cardwell played for Stephenville around 98 and won state championship if im not mistaken..I think he still holds the state record for receiving yards in a season and he did hold the record for receiving yards in a career till Shipley broke that one.

Old Tiger
07-25-2004, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
Who is Cody Cardwell? Jordan Shipley has broken records left and right, and has a vertical leap that is unbelievable until you SEE it. ditto

Old Green
07-25-2004, 01:05 AM
Cardwell was pretty big wasn't he?

Bobcatwideout
07-25-2004, 01:13 AM
No not really I think he was around 5-10, 165.. But he certainly was a good one and I think he went to SMU after high school.

Stanley
07-25-2004, 09:50 AM
I believe you can ask their coach. Cardwell's receiver coach at Stephenville ended up coaching Shipley in Burnet. I may be wrong, but I think he's a link.

Cardwell had the better season 2400 yards in 1998 and a couple of State Championships.
Shipley had the better career.

I'll say Shipley was more valuable as a player since he played defense and was an incredible return man.

Shipley will struggle with the same frustrations in college that plagued Cardwell at SMU - Going from a highly efficient and creative offense in high school to a sub-par college one.

sinton66
07-25-2004, 09:59 AM
I think I disagree with your assessment, Stanley. Shipley's going to a college with probably the best QB in the nation. If he and Young get the timing down, they are going to be quite dynamic, IMO.

Stanley
07-25-2004, 11:28 AM
I've loved Young ever since I saw him in the Army all-star game, but he needs to learn how to carry the football. He is the most dynamic QB in the nation.

My assessment is based on the staff's inability to utilize great talent. Coach Davis' offense (BTW Davis believes Mock is the better QB for his system) is I formation, 5 step drop & step up in the pocket. That coaching point alone helps defenses keep the dynamic Young in check.

I wish Shipley the best and hope I'm not right. Maybe Shipley can help Coach Brown win his first conference championship ever. (He didn't win one at App.St., Tulane, or North Carolina). If not, Shipley may shine when Spurrier eventually gets the UT job.

Would have been interesting to see him play in the Tech or Houston system.

sinton66
07-25-2004, 11:45 AM
Ok, look at it this way, if UT can't win with talent like this, then something is obviously wrong. I don't think it would be all that hard for the UT faithful and the powers that be to see that either. It might just prove to be the final nail in Brown's coffin. I've never been all that impressed with Mack Brown even before he came to Texas, and he definitely hasn't impressed me since. I'm guessing he won't be getting many more chances.

I have no way of knowing if you've seen Shipley play or not, but can tell you from personal experience he is a great athlete. Sinton played against him the last two years in a row for the R4 title. I also followed Burnet all the way to the finals. This kid is one of the very few that could consistantly beat double coverage with the timing patterns.

Old Tiger
07-25-2004, 12:23 PM
I hate long post! I guess I'm just lazy or something. It takes to long to read them!

Bobcatwideout
07-25-2004, 02:27 PM
Mock only had one shining moment last year and that was the last drive against Texas Tech with the help of the best receiving core of the nation then.

zeke
07-25-2004, 03:19 PM
I

Bobcatwideout
07-25-2004, 03:26 PM
I believe the QB was Kendall Briles if I'm not mistaken.

zeke
07-25-2004, 03:56 PM
i

Bobcatwideout
07-25-2004, 04:10 PM
Yeah that sounds right Zeke.I wasn't sure on who the Qb was...

barbosa
07-25-2004, 06:30 PM
In my opinion shipley is the better WR. I have seen Cody play and he was really good also. Shipley to me was faster and ran better routes. I think Shipley made a bad decison going to UT. Mack Brown sucks at coaching players with talent. Ut every year has more talent than anyone in the country but it is because of Brown and his stupid system.
Shipley should've went to tech or a system that he can use his talents at better. Shipley would also make a good db in college.

And for the poster from ROCKDALE or whereever,
Tiger WR does not make any sense. I think his stupid childish comments and posts should stay within his immature mind. And for Rockdales football team being good, give me a break Rockdales sucks and i can tell how classy the town is by what kink of people they produce like TIGER WR. U need to shut up and put up and if and when u post again try and sound educated and respectable.

Old Tiger
07-25-2004, 07:24 PM
I think if it wasn't for Cody Warner Shipley wouldn't of got all the yards. Due to the fact that they couldn't just guard one guy. If you cover shipley that leaves Cody. If you cover Cody you got Shipley. so you get what i'm saying?

Old Tiger
07-25-2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by barbosa
In my opinion shipley is the better WR. I have seen Cody play and he was really good also. Shipley to me was faster and ran better routes. I think Shipley made a bad decison going to UT. Mack Brown sucks at coaching players with talent. Ut every year has more talent than anyone in the country but it is because of Brown and his stupid system.
Shipley should've went to tech or a system that he can use his talents at better. Shipley would also make a good db in college.

Tiger WR does not make any sense. I think his stupid childish comments and posts should stay within his immature mind. And for Rockdales football team being good, give me a break Rockdales sucks and i can tell how classy the town is by what kink of people they produce like TIGER WR. U need to shut up and put up and if and when u post again try and sound educated and respectable. Who is this guy? lol Your getting all PO about posting? haha funny guy :clap: BTW YOUR 25 AND TALKING CRAP TO A 16 YEAR OLD!!!!!!!! Real mature....real mature...you need to grow up

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-25-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by barbosa
Tiger WR does not make any sense. I think his stupid childish comments and posts should stay within his immature mind. And for Rockdales football team being good, give me a break Rockdales sucks and i can tell how classy the town is by what kink of people they produce like TIGER WR. U need to shut up and put up and if and when u post again try and sound educated and respectable.

So you are going to go out on a limb and classify every person who resides in Rockdale or goes to their school uneducated and disrespectful? You have no idea what kind of people we are or what we are all about. I play for Rockdale, and I'll tell you upfront that we are going to be more than many people take us for. The only person who has been disrespectful to any other poster is you. You come in and tell a poster to shut up and put up who has been here and posting long before you even thought about the 3A Downlow or even heard about it. Your entire post was childish and immature. The way that you handled yourself about somebody saying something that may have rubbed you the wrong way was just....stupid to put it into terms that you can understand. In your post you have showed that you lack very much intelligence or respect for other posters. You don't see Sinton66, Ranger Mom, SintonFan, or many other posters who have been her for a considerable amount of time try to malicously cut down other posters over an insignificant argument or statement that means nothing. If you're going to do something like this, take it elsewhere, because we don't want your trash on here.

zeke
07-25-2004, 09:09 PM
Barbosa, these 2 young men from Rockdale deserve an apology from you. I have read most of their posts and although they get silly every once in a while, I can tell they have goodness and kindness instilled within them.
You should learn a few things yourself from these 2 fine boys.
I have an idea. the next time you feel like pontificating like you did with this youngster, TigerWR, go to your local bar there in Nowhereville, find the biggest ugly dude you can find, and repeat the words you just wrote. Get back to us on your new attitude adjustment.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-25-2004, 09:17 PM
Thanks for your support and kind words, Zeke. I appreciate it, I really do. :D

Old Tiger
07-25-2004, 09:18 PM
I feel special :) Momma always said I was a special kid :)

barbosa
07-25-2004, 09:29 PM
I am just voiceing my opinion. This is a board for sports talk, high school, college, and professional sports. I have seen numerous post from the kids from Rockdale and they are nothing short of pointless. The kids are not very educated on their sports knowledge. It seems to me they just like to be heard with their plain comments and their plain sense of humor.
Big Blue D End that earlier post was not intended for you so keep your mouth shut and stay out of our business. I gather that you know this Tiger Wr. And I take it you two play (attempt) football. Shouldn't you two do something else than sit on your rump and mouth off on websites. The gym or track should be the place where ya'll should be. Big Blue D End I really don't care what you have to say are your Junior Varsity friend, you two probally have never touched a varsity playing field. I don't care about you two are the town of Rockdale so if you are going to post post something that others can understand we don't care for KID talk.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-25-2004, 09:42 PM
Actually, Tiger WR and myself are returning Varsity Letterman. We're going to be Juniors next year, and played Varsity as Sophomores. The reason that your previous post concerned me was because in your broad statements you seemed to include all of the Rockdale posters. Nobody that posts on here can honestly say that I sit on my rump and brag about Rockdale and it's football program, because football is played between the lines, not over the internet. At least I can understand that much. I've had my fair share of visits to the weight room and the track. I've missed maybe a combined 10 days of Summer workouts over the past two years. I've been around football all of my life, so I know the game pretty well, but that's not even the point. I shouldn't even try to defend myself to you. Your time as a poster on this board is limited enough as it is. I encourage you to continue to travel the same path that you are, because you will be gone in a matter of days at this rate.

Bobcatwideout
07-26-2004, 01:03 AM
Well I wasn't fortunate enough to see either one of these atheletes in action. Thats why I wanted to see other peoples opinion,but what exactly was his vert if anyone knows????:thinking:

Old Dog
07-26-2004, 01:57 AM
If I may, back to the subject! I know from friends that Cardwell was a great player, but Shipleys all around ability has to be a greater factor. I personally watched Shipley play in around 36 games over a three year period.

He did some extraordinary things many times over, but my most memorable event was on defense. Ingram was backed up on their end of the field and the QB started down the line on the option. Shipley moved in from his DB spot and forced the QB to pitch to his trailing back. As the ball was tossed, Shipley accelerated and batted the ball down, picked it up on first bounce and sailed in for the TD.

TigerWR is correct, the supporting cast was outstanding for Burnet, but never underestimate what Shipley could do on his own either. I'm willing to eat crow if wrong, but Shipley WILL make a mark at UT.

As for our two young posters from Rockdale; leave them the hell alone because us old farts enjoy their company and like having them around. I'm looking forward to following their exploits this next season!!!!!!!!!!!

sinton66
07-26-2004, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by Bobcatwideout
Well I wasn't fortunate enough to see either one of these atheletes in action. Thats why I wanted to see other peoples opinion,but what exactly was his vert if anyone knows????:thinking:

I don't know exactly what his vertical leap is, but I've heard people say the boy could stand flat-footed and jump into the back of a pickup, and from what I've seen of him, I'd say that's pretty close.

Old Tiger
07-26-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Old Dog
If I may, back to the subject! I know from friends that Cardwell was a great player, but Shipleys all around ability has to be a greater factor. I personally watched Shipley play in around 36 games over a three year period.

He did some extraordinary things many times over, but my most memorable event was on defense. Ingram was backed up on their end of the field and the QB started down the line on the option. Shipley moved in from his DB spot and forced the QB to pitch to his trailing back. As the ball was tossed, Shipley accelerated and batted the ball down, picked it up on first bounce and sailed in for the TD.

TigerWR is correct, the supporting cast was outstanding for Burnet, but never underestimate what Shipley could do on his own either. I'm willing to eat crow if wrong, but Shipley WILL make a mark at UT.

As for our two young posters from Rockdale; leave them the hell alone because us old farts enjoy their company and like having them around. I'm looking forward to following their exploits this next season!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for all the support everyone!! My most memorable moment was in 2002 when he blue up jasper for 225 yards recieving. 198 of them coming in the first half!