PDA

View Full Version : Athletes From Your School With LOTS Of Talent

rhino33
07-23-2004, 11:37 PM
Who are some of the atheletes from ur school that had a ton of talent, but made a mistake and threw it all away?

Old Tiger
07-23-2004, 11:41 PM
um.....i decline to comment on this topic...and this topic is not a good idea to just call peoples names out who made a mistake some times they can't help it sometimes they could have problems in the house that they have to deal with or something like that...(IMO)

rhino33
07-23-2004, 11:49 PM
no offense but if u dont like it then dont reply to it

Old Tiger
07-23-2004, 11:51 PM
that's why i put "IMO"

rhino33
07-23-2004, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
that's why i put "IMO"

it wasnt only directed towards u

Old Tiger
07-23-2004, 11:55 PM
ok gotcha

Old Tiger
07-23-2004, 11:55 PM
Where exactly is Carrollton?

rhino33
07-23-2004, 11:56 PM
north of dallas, its about 20miles from irving

rhino33
07-23-2004, 11:56 PM
where is rockdale

Old Tiger
07-24-2004, 12:01 AM
pretty much in the middle of no where j/k

about 45 min. west of Bryan 45 min. east of Austin 45 min. south of Temple and 2½ hours north of houston :D best i can explain...Milam county?

rhino33
07-24-2004, 12:08 AM
pretty much redneck-ville? that cool

WOS92
07-24-2004, 12:20 AM
I think it would be sort of wrong to call out people who were "failures." Every school has players who should have been big but had problems. I'm sure that haunts them enough as it is.

rhino33
07-24-2004, 12:24 AM
yea i guess that true

Ranger Mom
07-24-2004, 12:29 AM
How about the athletes that got away?

Namely, Cody Hollums from Greenwood. Anyone who played against him will tell you he could lay a world of hurt on you. I remember one of the Bandera kids saying after the state championship that he had never got hit so hard in all his life. He was definately scrappy!

All the schools said he was too small and let him get away. He played in the AllStar game (or whatever it's called) that year.

He ended up going to Howard college in Big Spring on a rodeo scholarship!

rhino33
07-24-2004, 12:31 AM
yea dats a better title for the thread

BIG19
07-24-2004, 01:27 AM
My brother.

He was V-QB 2 yrs, V-Point Guard 3 yrs, and V-Catcher 3 yrs and had the brains to boot. Ended up with a full scholarship to UT for academics and partied it away. Sure hated to see it. He does too, now.

rhino33
07-24-2004, 01:35 AM
yea dat sucks, my father kinda had the same situation happen when he was younger but he was a centerfielder in baseball and had yankees scouts talkin to him and he got mixed up in drugs... it was dumb.. he died as an unemployed man with no education but high school and mechanic college

Pudlugger
07-24-2004, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by rhino33
pretty much redneck-ville? that cool

Actually Rockdale is a pretty little town with lots of great folks in some of the most beautiful farm country in Texas. As for the north Dallas plains, well what can you say? Pretty dreary topography IMHO. :D

Pudlugger
07-24-2004, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
How about the athletes that got away?

Namely, Cody Hollums from Greenwood. Anyone who played against him will tell you he could lay a world of hurt on you. I remember one of the Bandera kids saying after the state championship that he had never got hit so hard in all his life. He was definately scrappy!

All the schools said he was too small and let him get away. He played in the AllStar game (or whatever it's called) that year.

He ended up going to Howard college in Big Spring on a rodeo scholarship!

That story plays out yearly in La Grange too. 3A teams rarely receive much scouting attention unless they have an outstanding state level player. Even then it is necessary for the hometown journalists to promote him to the wider press. Coaches are often too busy to get involved in the scouting/recruiting business, so it is up to the parents to do it. That means making films or DVDs of your son's highlights along with stats sent to various coaches. In addition, summer camps like the Waco Combine or UT Football camp are basically showcases for talent. If you are playing 5A there will be scouts in the stands every game, but at 3A you need to get their attention. In La Grange the culture pretty much turns on two schools" aTm and UT. Many of our most talented athletes here could have played on lesser known D1 or D2 schools on scholarships yet are not interested- wanting instead to go to one of these traditional schools. I'm not saying that is always a bad thing as college level sports isn't for everyone. It does seem like a shame though when a real talented player walks away from the game when they could get a scholarship.

The real love for the game is found in the D3 level where
no athletic scholarships are allowed.
These kids play because they love football and aren't ready to hang up the pads. My son will play for Trinity University this fall. He will be part of a winning tradition with 12 SCAC titles in a row and 8 straight play-off appearances- including an appearance at the final game, The Amos Alonzo Stagg Bowl in 2002. Hopefully the Tigers will get back there this year and win the ring.

CRHSeagle
07-24-2004, 10:08 AM
Does anyone know whatever happened to Rex Harper and if he got a scholarship for football or powerlifting? Because if he didnt then some school is missing out.

Old Green
07-24-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
That story plays out yearly in La Grange too. 3A teams rarely receive much scouting attention unless they have an outstanding state level player. Even then it is necessary for the hometown journalists to promote him to the wider press. Coaches are often too busy to get involved in the scouting/recruiting business, so it is up to the parents to do it. That means making films or DVDs of your son's highlights along with stats sent to various coaches. In addition, summer camps like the Waco Combine or UT Football camp are basically showcases for talent. If you are playing 5A there will be scouts in the stands every game, but at 3A you need to get their attention. In La Grange the culture pretty much turns on two schools" aTm and UT. Many of our most talented athletes here could have played on lesser known D1 or D2 schools on scholarships yet are not interested- wanting instead to go to one of these traditional schools. I'm not saying that is always a bad thing as college level sports isn't for everyone. It does seem like a shame though when a real talented player walks away from the game when they could get a scholarship.

The real love for the game is found in the D3 level where
no athletic scholarships are allowed.
These kids play because they love football and aren't ready to hang up the pads. My son will play for Trinity University this fall. He will be part of a winning tradition with 12 SCAC titles in a row and 8 straight play-off appearances- including an appearance at the final game, The Amos Alonzo Stagg Bowl in 2002. Hopefully the Tigers will get back there this year and win the ring.

This is so true Pudlugger. It happens so often around here.

bullfrog_alumni_02
07-24-2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by CRHSeagle
Does anyone know whatever happened to Rex Harper and if he got a scholarship for football or powerlifting? Because if he didnt then some school is missing out. i remember ole' rex, he was a big play maker in football and had a good dead lift and squat in powerlifting. i agree he should have gone on to play more football atleast to the college level. i was wondering about philip duagherty(sp) from bridgeport, i heard he went to texas tech, but i dont ever emember it being confirmed what about him? anyone know?

CRHSeagle
07-24-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02
i remember ole' rex, he was a big play maker in football and had a good dead lift and squat in powerlifting. i agree he should have gone on to play more football atleast to the college level. i was wondering about philip duagherty(sp) from bridgeport, i heard he went to texas tech, but i dont ever emember it being confirmed what about him? anyone know?

He is at Texas Tech. I believe he red shirted last year. I think he will probably be third string this year.

D. R. Hooks
07-24-2004, 05:29 PM
I will nominate myself. Had I not wasted so much time on the bench, I'm sure I would have earned more than 1 yellow card and scored more than 1 goal in HS soccer. :D

http://www.flickingerweather.com/wos2.gif

Old Green
07-24-2004, 05:40 PM
LoL :clap: :D

Phil C is proud of you:D