PDA

View Full Version : I need some help from some computer people.....

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-23-2004, 10:14 PM
My computer has been going off the wall here lately. Everytime I disconnect from the internet, it restarts. Today I disconnected and turned the monitor off, only to return a few hours later to a blue screen that said my computer shut down to prevent damage to the CPU. None of my anti-virus programs work, nor can I go to any anti-virus websites. I don't know what to do to solve this problem, but it's doing things that resemble what happened when I used Kazaa and had to re-image my computer. If anybody out there knows anything, please help me out, because re-imaging a computer is not an enjoyable experience and it's a quick way to waste a day.

lobo12
07-23-2004, 10:32 PM
you had to re image when you had kazaa? how do you do that because my comp seems like it has been messing up since i got it so i got rid of it. do you know of anywhere where you can get music that doesnt cause problems?

jason
07-23-2004, 10:57 PM
www.limewire.com

and its free...:D :D

3afan2K3
07-23-2004, 11:00 PM
I use limewire, its fast

rhino33
07-23-2004, 11:05 PM
does limewire have any costs at all (ex. free trial or pay for installizing) or is it totally free without any costs period?

3afan2K3
07-23-2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by rhino33
does limewire have any costs at all (ex. free trial or pay for installizing) or is it totally free without any costs period?
Its free, but you can pay for a premium membership

espn1
07-23-2004, 11:17 PM
how about IMESH??????

PI-fan
07-23-2004, 11:20 PM
Have you tried restoring your comp to an earlier date?

Ranger Mom
07-23-2004, 11:54 PM
I paid for limewire's premium membership....I thought that made it where I could LEGALLY download songs.

I found out though that all I paid for was the privelage of not having pop-ups on the page.

I have to admit though, out of all the one's my kids have downloaded, Napster, Limewire, Kazaa and WinMX....Limewire was the best!

3afan2K3
07-24-2004, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I paid for limewire's premium membership....I thought that made it where I could LEGALLY download songs.

I found out though that all I paid for was the privelage of not having pop-ups on the page.

I have to admit though, out of all the one's my kids have downloaded, Napster, Limewire, Kazaa and WinMX....Limewire was the best!
Didnt you do that same thing with kazaa?

Ranger Mom
07-24-2004, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by 3afan2K3
Didnt you do that same thing with kazaa?

Hmmm...now that you mention it, maybe it was Kazaa that I paid for! Limewire was STILL better though!

SintonFan
07-24-2004, 12:57 AM
Kazaa is spyware. The worst kind too! Insidious it is! Try Kazaa K lite ++. It's free and not spyware. It also has safeguards on it. :) Enjoy!
BTW, I prefer the format of kazaa k lite ++, it's alot closer to napster.:cool:

SintonFan
07-24-2004, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
My computer has been going off the wall here lately. Everytime I disconnect from the internet, it restarts. Today I disconnected and turned the monitor off, only to return a few hours later to a blue screen that said my computer shut down to prevent damage to the CPU. None of my anti-virus programs work, nor can I go to any anti-virus websites. I don't know what to do to solve this problem, but it's doing things that resemble what happened when I used Kazaa and had to re-image my computer. If anybody out there knows anything, please help me out, because re-imaging a computer is not an enjoyable experience and it's a quick way to waste a day.
If you have a firewall activate it. XP has one built into it. It sounds like you have a virus, though. If you can activate a firewall, good. If it already is on try this link to Norton's online removal utilities.removal (http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/tools.list.html)
It sounds like you might have "mydoom" or "sasser". Don't quote me cuz it's been some time since I've helped someone with this stuff.
Correction...
try "sobig" too. That might be the problem.:thinking: Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Bigdog1
07-24-2004, 01:23 PM
Sinton is right. It sounds like big time spyware infection. Go to www.webroot.com and download spy sweeper. Make sure you update it first and then let it run. Note: some of the spyware is on Kazaa and removing it will stop Kazaa from working.

Bigdog1
07-24-2004, 01:25 PM
Also, you can go to www.pandasoftware.com for a online virus scan. Its free!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-24-2004, 03:24 PM
I can't go to the link that you posted, SintonFan. Thanks for the links, BigDog1, Panda is scanning my computer now. Thanks for the input guys, I hope this works.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-24-2004, 04:22 PM
A special thanks to BigDog1. You provided me a working link that allowed me to get rid of the virus. I can now go to Symantec and download the patch to prevent it. Thanks.:D

mwynn05
07-24-2004, 05:00 PM
i know how t make your computer work better reformat it and dont put that crap back on there

fury900
07-25-2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END

http://www.spamihilator.com/

mp3 Ares Ares Galaxy does come bundled with NavExcel, a homepage hijacker, but you can choose not to install it during the installation process.
http://www.download.com/Ares-Galaxy/3000-2166-10174222.html?tag=lst-0-1

Ad-aware http://www.download.com/Ad-aware/3000-8022-10214379.html?tag=lst-3-7

SpywareBlaster http://www.download.com/SpywareBlaster/3000-8022-10227910.html?tag=lst-3-6

Spybot - Search & Destroy http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/3000-8022-10289035.html?tag=lst-3-10