PDA

View Full Version : Better high school running back?? Benson or Peterson?

vfunk
07-23-2004, 05:04 PM
Who do you think was a better high school player and why?

Old Tiger
07-23-2004, 05:17 PM
um...Benson! Took his team to a state championship and won it I believe. He was just a very very dominant RB at the HS level

mwynn05
07-23-2004, 06:26 PM
hard to tell benson had MUCH MUCH better players around him

Old Tiger
07-23-2004, 06:28 PM
Since Benson left Midland Lee hasn't been as good. Peterson was the team in Palestine. Great players win championships. Something Peterson couldn't do with his team.

mwynn05
07-23-2004, 06:37 PM
well look around at college teams and there are several players from those midland lee teams playing d-1 football there arent any other players off petersons palestine team and its only common sense that a team will not be as good when you lose a player like benson and the year after benson graduated midland lee went to the quarterfinals so it is a fact benson had much more talent around him than peterson but that doesnt mean he isnt as good of a back but i would go ahead and give it to peterson (hometown pick)

Goldenstick
07-23-2004, 09:30 PM
Definitely Benson! He not only carried Midland Lee to several state championships, but the guy performed big in big games. I'm pretty sure a healthy Cedric Benson will be up for the Heismann this year. He's rushed for over 1000 yards every year in the College ranks. We'll see what Peterson does!

mwynn05
07-23-2004, 09:59 PM
there both great backs

Ranger Mom
07-23-2004, 10:06 PM
I gotta be a "homer" and go with Benson.

I saw him play in several games with Midland Lee and he was nothing short of awesome!!

lobo12
07-23-2004, 10:17 PM
i would say benson. he may have had better players around him but he probably competed against better players. he led midland lee to a state championship three years in a row

Matthew328
07-24-2004, 12:32 PM
Benson...

True94
07-24-2004, 02:17 PM
its definately benson. he took Lee to 3 straight championships and all on his back. i remember watching his senior year when he played westlake and they were down 21-14 he took over and realed off something like over 200 yards and 4 touchdowns to turn a close one into a blowout. peterson may be the better athlete but benson is the better player at least in highschool.

Bobcatwideout
07-24-2004, 02:29 PM
I'm gonna go with Benson on this one too.:)

Pball
07-25-2004, 09:48 AM
You’re measuring apples to oranges. Different teams with different coaches and different players. If you are measuring speed, strength, and individual accomplishments then I think AD is No. 1. No doubt they both have the tools, they just need to be measured on a level playing field. We need to wait and see what happens this year.

Old Tiger
07-25-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Pball
You’re measuring apples to oranges. Different teams with different coaches and different players. If you are measuring speed, strength, and individual accomplishments then I think AD is No. 1. No doubt they both have the tools, they just need to be measured on a level playing field. We need to wait and see what happens this year. He might get red shirted.

sinton66
07-25-2004, 12:39 PM
Benson.

District303aPastPlayer
07-25-2004, 12:48 PM
You’re measuring apples to oranges. Different teams with different coaches and different players. If you are measuring speed, strength, and individual accomplishments then I think AD is No. 1. No doubt they both have the tools, they just need to be measured on a level playing field. We need to wait and see what happens this year.
Just one question... how many state championships does Peterson have?

crzyjournalist03
07-26-2004, 02:33 PM
cedric

JasperDog94
07-26-2004, 02:52 PM
You’re measuring apples to oranges. Different teams with different coaches and different players. If you are measuring speed, strength, and individual accomplishments then I think AD is No. 1. No doubt they both have the tools, they just need to be measured on a level playing field. We need to wait and see what happens this year. But the topic isn't "Who's the better back their freshman year of college". The topic is about High School. Gotta give HS edge to Benson.

RBARKER
07-26-2004, 04:44 PM
Benson

WOS1
07-26-2004, 05:03 PM
IMO it's really hard to compare the two because they were not both playing in the same environment. Midland Lee was a program that was traditionally solid BEFORE Benson came along and, in fact, won their first title when Benson was a back up. He was the workhorse behind the next 2, but as someone said earlier, he had a much better supporting cast. Peterson came from a traditional doormat. He had NO supporting cast. So, I think to give it to Benson unconditionally would be unfair. That's not to say that Peterson is the better back or was the better back, again, like someone posted earlier, it's apples and oranges.

CRHSeagle
07-26-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
He might get red shirted.

All the rosters I've seen have Peterson listed as second string.

Pball
07-28-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by CRHSeagle
All the rosters I've seen have Peterson listed as second string.

Peterson named Big 12 preseason Newcomer of the Year

7-24-04
Staff Reports

Adrian Peterson has not played a down yet for the Oklahoma Sooners and he is already receiving Big 12 recognition.

The Palestine standout has been selected as the 2004 Media Preseason All-Big 12 Newcomer of the Year.

The All-Big 12 Preseason teams were voted on this past week by the media who attended the Big 12 Football Media Days in Kansas City.

Peterson was one of the most touted recruits last year as he rushed for 2,320 yards and 32 touchdowns in his senior campaign.

He was selected to the Associated Press' and Texas Sports Writers Association's Class 4A first team and was named the Spalding Player of the Year, which is the high school equivalent of college football's Heisman Trophy.

The University of Oklahoma had nine players selected to the Preseason All-Big 12 team, including returning Heisman Trophy winner Jason White at quarterback.

The Sooners also were selected as the preseason favorites to win the Big 12 Conference South Division title.

Oakflat
07-29-2004, 11:02 AM
Not really a comparison. Benson is the 4th or 5th all time leading rusher in the state of Texas with over 8,000 career yards. He also won 3 straight state championships against the best level of competition in the nation.
Peterson, no doubt has more size, strength, and speed, and could be a better college player. But as to who was the better high school player?

Benson

Gobbla2001
07-29-2004, 07:42 PM
Benson...

I didn't hear about Peterson until his senior year in HS...

I watched Benson run all over the place as a sophmore during the state game on Fox Sports Southwest...

Benson made it deeper into the playoffs than Peterson, so he was playing against tougher D's...

Not saying Peterson isn't good, he's dang good, but Benson just had that consitancy throughout his career...

true_blue_tiger
07-30-2004, 10:57 PM
Benson for sure, while Peterson is a great RB and the #1 recruit in the nation, Benson had 15 TDs in 3 State Championship victories. Just wished he went to A&M instead of t.u.

texasjeremy
08-06-2004, 08:23 PM

7-24-04
Staff Reports

Adrian Peterson has not played a down yet for the Oklahoma Sooners and he is already receiving Big 12 recognition.

The Palestine standout has been selected as the 2004 Media Preseason All-Big 12 Newcomer of the Year.

The All-Big 12 Preseason teams were voted on this past week by the media who attended the Big 12 Football Media Days in Kansas City.

Peterson was one of the most touted recruits last year as he rushed for 2,320 yards and 32 touchdowns in his senior campaign.

He was selected to the Associated Press' and Texas Sports Writers Association's Class 4A first team and was named the Spalding Player of the Year, which is the high school equivalent of college football's Heisman Trophy.

The University of Oklahoma had nine players selected to the Preseason All-Big 12 team, including returning Heisman Trophy winner Jason White at quarterback.

The Sooners also were selected as the preseason favorites to win the Big 12 Conference South Division title.