Tony Brackens then Winfred Tubbs

WOS1
07-22-2004, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Like well known in which way? Like pro ball wise or around the state wise

It doesn't matter, just well known.

Z motion 10 out on 2
07-22-2004, 11:41 PM
James Dixon came out of Vernon and played with the Cowboys under Jimmy Johnson.

Z motion 10 out on 2
07-22-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by WOS1
WO-S would have to be Kevin Smith WO-S/Texas A&M/Dallas Cowboys

He was a great player!

spiveyrat
07-23-2004, 07:00 AM
Zack Bronson (Jasper/McNeese/SF 49ers)
Eugene Seale (Jasper/Lamar/Oilers)

others, Jasper fans?

chaingang
07-23-2004, 08:05 AM
Spivey, is Mark Henry from Jasper or maybe..... no I think it is Silsbee. Correct me if I am wrong.:thinking:

LWFH
07-23-2004, 08:06 AM
Mark is from Silsbee

chaingang
07-23-2004, 08:08 AM
Thanks, I thought so. Sometimes I get those schools mixed up with players from each other. Sorry.

ej2525
07-23-2004, 08:35 AM
Shane Dronett - Bridge City/U. of Texas/Denver/Detroit/Atlanta

Phil C
07-23-2004, 08:43 AM
I have been a Sinton Pirate fan for almost 25 years since I moved to Sinton but since I didn't graduate from there I will let an ex answer that question. I graduated from Freer High School which used to be in 3A but is now in 2A. In fact Freer won the State Championship in baseball in 1990 (I think) in 3A. There most famous football player is probably Steve McMichael who played at UT and then the Chicago Bears. He was one of the starting defensive lineman in 1986 (I think) when the Bears won the Super Bowl. He ended his career at one year at Green Bay. I think he played 14 years in the NFL.

WOS92
07-23-2004, 09:05 AM
WOS1, K. Smith was definitely our best known.

Then there's Chris Cole (A&M/Broncos/Raiders)
Gayron Allen (currently starting MLB at Oklahoma)
Eric Enard should be starting at WR at UT this year, and I think one of our three DBs at Tulsa will get drafted.

Phil C
07-23-2004, 09:19 AM
I am not from Bishop High School but I don't think we have any posters her from there but they are in 3A and their best player would have to be Ronny Bull who played at Baylor in the early 60s and then played pro football for the Chicago Bears and ended up in Philadelphia for one year. He was a good running back but didnt' make the big yardage that most of them made but he was known to be able to get you those five or six yards when you needed it. I think he was on the Chicago Bears 1963 NFL Championship Team which was before the Super Bowl started.
Hebbronville was once in 3A but probably their top player was Rene Ramires who played there and at UT in the mid to late 50s. He was a senior (I think) on Royal's first team at Texas in 1957 (I think). He was a good one. Too bad Royal didn't get there earlier.

Cat22
07-23-2004, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
I have been a Sinton Pirate fan for almost 25 years since I moved to Sinton but since I didn't graduate from there I will let an ex answer that question. I graduated from Freer High School which used to be in 3A but is now in 2A. In fact Freer won the State Championship in baseball in 1990 (I think) in 3A. There most famous football player is probably Steve McMichael who played at UT and then the Chicago Bears. He was one of the starting defensive lineman in 1986 (I think) when the Bears won the Super Bowl. He ended his career at one year at Green Bay. I think he played 14 years in the NFL.

Phil, Freer has had some good athletes in the past. My family has told me many stories about Steve McMichael and the Acker (sp) boys.

GUNHO
07-23-2004, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by ej2525
Shane Dronett - Bridge City/U. of Texas/Denver/Detroit/Atlanta

Don't forget about your guy back in the mid 60s.He was a big part of yall bringing home the state crown in '66.
Steve Wooster/ UT.

bullfrog_alumni_02
07-23-2004, 10:04 AM
im gonna go w/ jeff mathis, he played for southwest oklahoma for a little bit

ej2525
07-23-2004, 10:04 AM
I know Steve personally. TX College & hs football legends don't get much better than him. He is the biggest Icon in BC as far as Texas football. Dronett played the longest in the NFL was my only ground to stand on in regards to that.

While you are at it... add Jason Matthews to the list. Long time offensive lineman for the Colts & Titans.

spiveyrat
07-23-2004, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
I have been a Sinton Pirate fan for almost 25 years since I moved to Sinton but since I didn't graduate from there I will let an ex answer that question.

Heh heh! At first I thought you were saying you were the best known from Sinton! :D

CHS_Grad '85
07-23-2004, 10:07 AM
Kris Kocurek (TX Tech, Tennessee Titans)

rhino33
07-23-2004, 11:02 AM
nobody yet at my school (ranchview) but i have to predict, pete persinger, shaka harris or john chiles or hopefully myself
in the future

Old Green
07-23-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
Heh heh! At first I thought you were saying you were the best known from Sinton! :D

Arthur Whittington - SMU and the Oakland raiders. Scored a touchdown in the superbowl. Has a Big Superbowl ring.

Brad Goebel - Baylor and started 3 years a the Philadelphia Eagle QB

Henry Shepard- SMU and 7 years started for the Cleveland browns

Robert Strait - Baylor RB

Cat22
07-23-2004, 12:29 PM
Robert Strait - Baylor RB

Old Green I remember watching Strait in a playoff game against Port Arthur SFA. I think it was at Katy. He was a Hoss.

Cat22
07-23-2004, 12:32 PM
I guess from Orangefield it would be Jeff Granger. He only lost one game as the starting QB at A&M, but he was a better baseball player and had a short stint in the pros with the Royals.

Old Tiger
07-23-2004, 12:35 PM

others, Jasper fans? Jorey Adams will be

Old Green
07-23-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Cat22
I guess from Orangefield it would be Jeff Granger. He only lost one game as the starting QB at A&M, but he was a better baseball player and had a short stint in the pros with the Royals.

That was a good Semi-final game Cat22. Robert had over two hundred yards rushing in that game. He had a lot of help. There were 4 Division 1 prospects on that team.

Tiger Turtle
07-23-2004, 02:01 PM
Eric Dickerson - Sealy HS/SMU Mustangs/Indianapolis Colts

2nd all-time leading NFL rusher (at one time, anyway)

GUNHO
07-23-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Tiger Turtle
Eric Dickerson - Sealy HS/SMU Mustangs/Indianapolis Colts

2nd all-time leading NFL rusher (at one time, anyway)

That's a good one.

ALLSPORTSGUY
07-23-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by ej2525
I know Steve personally. TX College & hs football legends don't get much better than him. He is the biggest Icon in BC as far as Texas football. Dronett played the longest in the NFL was my only ground to stand on in regards to that.

While you are at it... add Jason Matthews to the list. Long time offensive lineman for the Colts & Titans.

Don't forget Matt Bryant kicker for NY Giants is from Bridge City also. Actually Jason has played the longest he still plays for the Titans.

Oakflat
07-23-2004, 03:10 PM
Jeff Granger from Orangefield is probably one of the best athletes ever to come from the golden triangle. He played both football and baseball at A&M. He ended up in the majors, but could have also probably played in the NFL if he would have devoted himself to it. He also ran a 48 sec. 400 meter in H.S.

Another great athlete at Orangefield was Bradley Peveto.

D. R. Hooks
07-23-2004, 03:14 PM
Jeff Granger also had something like a 40+ game hitting streak at OF....

http://www.flickingerweather.com/wos2.gif

Cat22
07-23-2004, 03:29 PM
I'm not sure how many games it was, but it tied a national record at that time. He was a special athlete.

j_dog
07-23-2004, 05:57 PM

others, Jasper fans?
Can't leave out James Hadnot from Jasper. Played at Texas Tech. Broke Earl Cambell's single season rushing record in SWC. Offensive player of the year in SWC. All-American. Drafted by Kansas City in 3rd round and played 3 seaons at fullback.

Also, at the top of the list, Sam Adams, Sr played some 13 seasons for the NE Patriots. Was selected to their All-Century team.

Of course, others made it to the NFL, but didn't stay too long. Zack Bronson's teammate at Jasper, John Davis was a reserve at least 4 or 5 seasons in the NFL, first at Tampa Bay, then Chicago I believe it was.

In baseball, Jasper produced Max Alvis who played several years for the Cleveland Indians. He was widely recognized as being their all-time best third baseman. Also, Phil Hennigan from Jasper was a relief pitcher for the Indians for 5 seasons. Footnote. He bested Nolan Ryan in a high school playoff game, 1-0 his junior year.

D. R. Hooks
07-23-2004, 06:00 PM
Eugene Seals made All-Pro for his special team hits....

Sintonfbplayer04
07-23-2004, 06:14 PM
Dat Nguyen from Rockport, TX. ( starting middle linebacker at Rockport High School ,starting middle linebacker at Texas A&M, and still starting middle linebacker for the Dallas Cowboys)

Old Green
07-23-2004, 07:36 PM
I had forgotten about James Hadnot. He was a very good strong runner.

SintonFan
07-23-2004, 08:05 PM
I can't think of anyone from Sinton who played pro ball. Lots of kids made it to college. I'm not an old-timer so :p ...

j_dog
07-23-2004, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by D. R. Hooks
And to think he was a "replacement player" during the strike. He was one of the very few to keep their jobs when the regular guys returned and he stayed in the NFL some five years. You would think that at 5-9 and 250 pounds he could not have moved down the field. Tell that to the guys he hit... :D And gosh, how many kicks did he block? No finesse, just straight through the line.

PI-fan
07-23-2004, 11:16 PM
I believe Eric Dickerson played at Sealy!?!

CRHSeagle
07-24-2004, 10:11 AM
I can't think of any from my school but Dan Campbell came from Glen Rose HS and is a TE for the Dallas Cowboys. I also remember reading somewhere that the Cowboys had a former Kennedale player on their practice squad.

mr.leopard man
07-24-2004, 10:37 AM
from gainesville.. i think it would have to be Kevin Mathis who played cornerback for dallas , new orleans, and now with the atlanta falcons.. he has played in 7 or 8 seasons now:clap:

Matthew328
07-24-2004, 12:31 PM
From Everman as far as football goes it would have to be Barron Wortham, UTEP, Houston Oilers, Tennesee Titans and Dallas Cowboys....

Baseball wise it would be Ellis Burks...who I believe is still hanging around with the Red Sox...another great baseball player from Everman was Jackie Davidson....drafted #4 overall in the 1984 MLB draft....never made it though..he was overused in high school and his arm was gone by the time he made it to the minors....

In Track Kevin Robizine won a gold medal as part of the 1988 4x400 Realay team the Seoul Olympics...

punt
07-24-2004, 12:58 PM
Hempstead had pro players Johnny Holland, Green Bay, and Harvey Williams, 49'ers. Holland is still coaching in the pros.

Columbus has the Schobel's. Great players at the college level and now one or 2 are in the pros.

Bobcatwideout
07-24-2004, 01:17 PM
Jeff Granger was drafted by the Kansas City Royals in the 1st round (5th pick) of the 93 amateur draft. But then he was traded in 96 to the Pittsburgh Pirates and then i think he went to the minors...

Papa Smurf 05
07-24-2004, 01:47 PM
Cedric James is the player on the Cowboys. Outstanding receiver for TCU...then signed to the Minnesota Vikings and was their kick returner...I think he's on the Cowboy's official roster now though.

Bobkat
07-24-2004, 08:31 PM
Jeff Granger from Orangefield was a once in a lifetime type athlete. It didn't really matter what he did, he was sucessful at it. He was an honor student, and a great athlete. I had the priviledge to be not only his catcher in baseball but his center in football. I caught 3 no-hitters our senior year and also caught a 20 strikeout game that year as well. After one of those no-hitters against Hardin Jefferson, Jeff hopped in a car and drove all night to the State Track Meet, got up early that next morning and finished 3rd in the 400 meters running a 48 sec quarter. He led us to the state tourney that year in baseball and he finished with a 16-1 record. He also tied the National record for consecutive games with a hit. He went to A&M and was sucessful in both Football and Baseball, and he still holds some old Southwest Conference records for strikeouts. He pitched a game in the College World Series and won it and he only lost one game as a starter at QB for the Aggies. A lot of people don't remember that about him. He played pro baseball after being drafted in the first round by the Royas in 93. He was a special athelete and even a better person.

scotty
07-24-2004, 08:59 PM
While Eric Dickerson was no doubt the best football player to come out of Sealy High School, they had one earlier who may have been the best athlete that Austin County ever produced. Ernie Koy Sr. Yes Koy is a SHS graduate and went on to Blinn Junior College and then to the University of Texas. There he was an All-America football player as well as making All-America in baseball. He went on to play big league baseball but had the misfortune to have WWII intefere with his career as well as being with the New York Yankees. There he was forced to bid for playing time with Ruth and all those other Yankee greats. He was later traded to the Brooklyn Dodgers and had a good run of success in baseball. But after the war he decided to give it up and help run the family store in Bellville. Both sons Ernie Jr. and Ted starred at the University of Texas. As an added attraction Koy was pitted against the great Olympic sprinter Jessie Owens before a baseball game between the Dodgers and the Reds. One of the teams had just put in lights and they needed something to spice up fan support. Owens spotted Koy five yards in the 100 and he was running in his full baseball uniform cleats and all. Owens never caught him. Koy is now in his 90's and most folks past their 50th birthday better not try to outrun him. Last time I saw him he was still driving and looked fit as a fiddle. He's an absolute Austin County sports legend.

Wildcat81
07-24-2004, 11:34 PM
Ernest(Bubba) Bean TX A&M, Atlanta Falcons

District303aPastPlayer
07-25-2004, 04:36 AM
Sinton baseball has produced one major league star: Michael Adams of the Brewers...
Cortez pitches for the Arizona Wildcats and Alaniz pitches/3rd for the UT Longhorns.
Some kid by the name of Jaime Zepeda also came from Sinton, maybe ya heard of him ;)

Pudlugger
07-25-2004, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by scotty
While Eric Dickerson was no doubt the best football player to come out of Sealy High School, they had one earlier who may have been the best athlete that Austin County ever produced. Ernie Koy Sr. Yes Koy is a SHS graduate and went on to Blinn Junior College and then to the University of Texas. There he was an All-America football player as well as making All-America in baseball. He went on to play big league baseball but had the misfortune to have WWII intefere with his career as well as being with the New York Yankees. There he was forced to bid for playing time with Ruth and all those other Yankee greats. He was later traded to the Brooklyn Dodgers and had a good run of success in baseball. But after the war he decided to give it up and help run the family store in Bellville. Both sons Ernie Jr. and Ted starred at the University of Texas. As an added attraction Koy was pitted against the great Olympic sprinter Jessie Owens before a baseball game between the Dodgers and the Reds. One of the teams had just put in lights and they needed something to spice up fan support. Owens spotted Koy five yards in the 100 and he was running in his full baseball uniform cleats and all. Owens never caught him. Koy is now in his 90's and most folks past their 50th birthday better not try to outrun him. Last time I saw him he was still driving and looked fit as a fiddle. He's an absolute Austin County sports legend.

Great story Scotty. Thanks

swatermustang55
07-25-2004, 12:38 PM
i think it would have to be giles(bootsy)montgomry he is goin to tcu this next year he was an all state player and i bet if he gos to tha pros he will play for atlanta

Matthew328
07-25-2004, 02:21 PM
I coulda swore Sammy Baugh was from Sweetwater.....Willie Amos also

Pudlugger
07-25-2004, 03:39 PM
Jimmy Johnson played for the '75 state 2a La Grange champions latter was a returner for the LA Rams.
Jeff Kelly Mlb for Kansas State, now playing for Atlanta, played for La Grange in the early 90s.
Tye Gunn Qb for TCU in his third season now. He should have a stellar year if he stays healthy. Tye played for La Grange as a 4 year starter. He was Qb in that semi-final skippy mentioned against Sealy in 1997. He led the Leps to the state title in 2000 engineering a come from behind 94 yard drive for the winning score against Forney with 2:40 left in the game. :)

3afan2K3
07-25-2004, 11:30 PM
Dabryan Blanton - Super Fast - Big 12 Track Freshman of the year 2003 - Had the best time in the 200 this year but because of injuries he couldnt run in regionals preventing him from going to the 'ship - Qualified for the olympic trials this year in the 100 but with his injurie still bothering him he only ran a 10.23

spirate_9
07-25-2004, 11:35 PM
Craig Jones, started at SS for North Texas for 4 years. All Conference the last 2 I think.

spiveyrat
07-26-2004, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by D. R. Hooks

I'd love to have a film of his "greatest hits"! :)

swatermustang55
07-26-2004, 01:11 PM
willie amos is from sweetwater and im not sure about sammy b. but i was just talkin about someone who just graduated this guy im almost posative that he is goin all the way to the pros.

Old Tiger
07-26-2004, 01:18 PM
That Casey Lane from Rockdale is a helluva player :D :cool: :p :clap:

La Grange
07-26-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
Jimmy Johnson played for the '75 state 2a La Grange champions latter was a returner for the LA Rams.
Jeff Kelly Mlb for Kansas State, now playing for Atlanta, played for La Grange in the early 90s.
Tye Gunn Qb for TCU in his third season now. He should have a stellar year if he stays healthy. Tye played for La Grange as a 4 year starter. He was Qb in that semi-final skippy mentioned against Sealy in 1997. He led the Leps to the state title in 2000 engineering a come from behind 94 yard drive for the winning score against Forney with 2:40 left in the game. :)

There was also Lawrence Dobbins who was the Dave Campell coverboy in 1997. He led the Leps to the 1997 State Semi-Finals, and also won the 100 meter dash at the state meet that year. He never played college ball, but he did end up running track for Penn State. Great guy who had a lot of potential, he got caught up in the wrong things and he is now working at a convience store in LG :( .

Old Dog
07-27-2004, 12:29 AM
I've got an old listing of Texas High School Hall of Famers and it lists Sammy Baugh being from Sweetwater.

oh well
07-27-2004, 12:28 PM
Grant Teaff

j_dog
08-02-2004, 07:12 PM
Per the newly discovered Jasper web-site: The "*" evidently means still active. And I didn't even know about Derrick Armstrong, WR, Houston Texans and Brent Hafford, F/S, New Orleans Saints making it to the NFL.

All-Time NFL List (for Jasper)

*Zach Bronson, FS, 49ers
*Derrick Armstrong, WR, Houston Texans
*Brent Hafford, F/S, New Orleans Saints
John Davis, TE, Buccaneers, Cowboys
Eugene Seale, LB, Oilers
Ben Bronson, WR, Colts
James Hadnot, RB, Chiefs
Sam Adams, G, Patriots, Saints

footballgal
08-02-2004, 08:55 PM
Player Texas A&I/ USFL and Current Pro Coach

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/HHFAGGOKODID/juan_castillo_04.jpg

Juan Castillo

Position: Offensive Line Coach
Years With Eagles: 10

Juan Castillo is in his 10th season with the Eagles and his seventh as the club's offensive line coach. After years of multiple changes along the line, Castillo's unit has become a force in the last four seasons paving the way for the emergence of Pro Bowl QB Donovan McNabb.
Under Castillo's tutelage, three lineman earned their first Pro Bowl selections: LT Tra Thomas (2001 and 2002), RG Jermane Mayberry (2002), and RT Jon Runyan (2002). In fact, Thomas and Mayberry earned starting roles for the NFC squad following the 2002 campaign.

In 2002, Castillo's troops gave up just 36 sacks, the least allowed by the club since 1982 (31). In 2003, the Eagles ranked 4th in the NFL in yards per carry (4.8).

Castillo is one of four coaches in the National Football League of Hispanic descent. In fact, Castillo is fluent in Spanish and has done some work for the National Football League in promoting the game for its Spanish-speaking audience. In the 2002 offseason, Castillo and his wife were special invitees of President Bush for a Cinco de Mayo celebration at the White House.

"A lot of people laughed at me when I said I wanted to coach in the NFL," Castillo said. "You have to have a dream, and then you have to have a plan, and you have to stick to the plan. I'm proud to represent the Hispanic community. I started just like all those people back in Texas. I was there with them."

Castillo was one of four members of former coach Ray Rhodes' staff to be retained by head coach Andy Reid in 1999. He originally joined the Eagles on March 1, 1995 as an offensive assistant, a post he held until being promoted to tight ends coach in 1997. One year later, Castillo became the club's offensive line coach.

Castillo's work as an offensive line coach at Texas A&M-Kingsville (formerly Texas A&I University) caught the eye of Rhodes. During his five seasons there, Castillo aided in the development of five Division II All-America linemen, including future NFL players Mayberry, Jorge Diaz, Kevin Dogins, and Earl Dotson. In that span, Castillo gained valuable experience as a summer coaching intern for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1994), Seattle Seahawks (1993), and Buffalo Bills (1992).

A former linebacker with Texas A&M-Kingsville and the USFL's San Antonio Gunslingers, Castillo began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at his alma mater before spending 1986-89 on the staff at Kingsville (TX) High School.

The 44-year-old Castillo (born 10/8/59) is a native of Port Isabel, TX. He and his wife, Zaida, reside in suburban Philadelphia with their four sons: Gregory, John, Andres, and Antonio.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/team/coachbio.jsp?id=644 (Philidelphia Eagles)

Bulldog92
08-02-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by j_dog
Per the newly discovered Jasper web-site: The "*" evidently means still active. And I didn't even know about Derrick Armstrong, WR, Houston Texans and Brent Hafford, F/S, New Orleans Saints making it to the NFL.

All-Time NFL List (for Jasper)

*Zach Bronson, FS, 49ers
*Derrick Armstrong, WR, Houston Texans
*Brent Hafford, F/S, New Orleans Saints
John Davis, TE, Buccaneers, Cowboys
Eugene Seale, LB, Oilers
Ben Bronson, WR, Colts
James Hadnot, RB, Chiefs
Sam Adams, G, Patriots, Saints
They don't have Terence Davis or Clyde Williams on there. Terence played with the Chiefs briefly as did Clyde with the Bengals...

BigChief
08-07-2004, 09:42 AM
Obert Logan, Gonzales High class of '52, went to UT, then played for the original Dallas Cowboys in 1960. Once tackled Hall of Famer Jim Brown to win a game against Cleveland Browns. After the game, Brown was asked how a 5' 9" 160 lb cornerback brought him down, Brown replied, " it was like trying to get a piece of chewing gum of my shoe."

District303aPastPlayer
08-07-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
That Casey Lane from Rockdale is a helluva player :D :cool: :p :clap:

you migh be the only one who thinks that :thumbsup:

vet93
08-07-2004, 12:18 PM
I played against James Dixon from Vernon. He was a runningback in highschool but was moved to reciever at U of Houston. He was a burner and very shifty. He had 3 long runs in our game that was too much for us to make up in the second half. I think that it is safe to say that without Dixon we would have had a good shot at advancing in that game. It would have been a low scoring game because Vernon's defense that year was salty.

From Ballinger.....I would have to say Spike Dykes (coach) and possibly Aaron Keesee (quarterback).

Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
James Dixon came out of Vernon and played with the Cowboys under Jimmy Johnson.

espn1
08-08-2004, 08:25 PM
MEREDITH, DUDLEY (1935-1987). Dudley Meredith, professional football player, the son of Douglas and Lola Meredith, was born on January 16, 1935, at Southwick, Texas. He was an outstanding player at Class 1A Burnet High School and starred at Midwestern University until that school discontinued football after its 1956 season. He transferred for his senior year to Lamar University, where he earned All-America honors from the Associated Press in 1957, thus becoming the university's first player to receive the award, and was named to the All-Lone Star Conference team. Meredith was a twenty-first-round draft choice of the Detroit Lions in 1957 but was cut after the first exhibition game. He joined the Houston Oilersqv of the newly formed American Football League in 1960. He played with them in 1963, then spent five seasons as a reserve defensive tackle with the Buffalo Bills; he was a key player on the team's 1964 AFL championship team. He was reacquired by the Oilers early in the 1968 season. Meredith was 6'4" tall and weighed 280 pounds. At the time of his death of a heart attack in Jacksonville Beach, Florida, on December 22, 1987, he was employed in Beaumont as a transporter of construction materials nationwide.