PDA

View Full Version : Rivalry?

CRHSeagle
07-21-2004, 12:15 AM
When I drove up to the weight room on monday I noticed something different. Infront of our field house sits a huge statue of a lion, its the first thing u see when u drive up infront of the building. Someone over the weekend had spray painted it green and black and wrote LW(Lake Worth) on both sides. I guess we have a new rival now. This isn't the first time I've seen something like this. When I was at Carter Riverside, Diamond Hill would TP our school and spray paint the gym in black and red spray paint. Last year I read in the newspaper that Godley had been vandalized by Carter baseball players. Has stuff likethis happened at other highschools across the state?

KTJ
07-21-2004, 01:15 AM
Sanger came and painted the outside of the Gainesville weightroom purple and gold my freshman year in high school.

My senior year, we went and TP'd their baseball field and stuck signs and stuff in their yard.

Good thing we won that year...

sahen
07-21-2004, 01:18 AM
ahhh rivalries....what highschool footballis all about.....when i was at baytown sterling one year the other highschool there (lee) put dead fish on the sterling practice field....so in retaliation some sterling football players found lee's sacred rock and painted it blue (sterling colors)...it was much fun...:)

Old Green
07-21-2004, 05:18 AM
Rivalries. You can't beat a good rivalry.
Cuero has two . Gonzales is a bitter rivalry. One year they hung dead turkeys coming into cuero on Hwy 183 and at the stadium entrance.

Yoakum-Cuero is a friendly rivalry. They mostly just paint each others schools. This has been going onlike 80 some odd years.:D

Z motion 10 out on 2
07-21-2004, 12:12 PM
I agree a great rivalry gives the players motivation to win and the fans motivation to show up.

Saw in a DMN article where the SMU band dropped winter rye grass seed on TCU's football field. This was done at half time while the SMU band played. The seed dropped when the SMU band was on the field and in the SMU formation. So when the regular grass died that winter, what do you know...winter grass appeard in the formation of the SMU.

That was great!

http://www.skiff.tcu.edu/SkiffWeb021600/Opinion.html

Old Tiger
07-21-2004, 06:25 PM
Rockdale 2 big rivalries are Cameron(Battle of the Bell) and Taylor

La Grange
07-22-2004, 03:14 PM
La Grange vs. Giddings is nicknamed the Warda Bowl in Fayette and Lee Counties, Warda is a small town of about 20 that is the midpoint between LG and Giddings. The two towns are only about 20 miles apart, but the rivalry does not get that heated.

LG vs. Sealy is just a grudge match between the two. Sealy is made about LG ending the 63 game win streak.

LG vs. Marlin is a playoff rilvary in some minds I think. Too bad LG is down 2-1 at this point.

LG vs. Forney is a State Championship rivalry that no one ever talks about, but it is there. We are up in that one 3-0 :D .

LG vs. Bellville or Columbus are old district rivalries that always were really great games.

Papa Smurf 05
07-22-2004, 09:32 PM
Last year, some people put purple and gold crosses with all the senior's names on em in the front of our Field House the morning of game day against Everman....Not too extreme, but we had fans wave 'em in the stands while we gave it to em lol.

Ranger Mom
07-22-2004, 09:59 PM
Last year when we played Monahans ( and they beat us:( ) one of the coaches went to pick up the guy's food from their local Sonic. Someone (I assumed from Monahans) had called in saying they were a Greenwood coach and cancelled the entire order.

I learned later it was actually someone from Kermit (another rival) that had done it.

The guys were bummed out about losing and weren't really hungry at that time, so they just called ahead to the Midland Whataburger and they had the food waiting on them.

I think the only one who was mad was my daughter, she was a trainer and she was HUNGRY!!!

Z motion 10 out on 2
07-23-2004, 01:43 AM
Back when Southlake was in 3A, Vernon and Carroll had a great rivalry in the playoffs with the game in Bedford as one of the greatest of all time in 3A.

Vernon beat Southlake in 1990 and went on to claim the state championship that year. The game in Bedford was in either 92 or 93 in which Southlake won.

bullfrog_alumni_02
07-23-2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by CRHSeagle
When I drove up to the weight room on monday I noticed something different. Infront of our field house sits a huge statue of a lion, its the first thing u see when u drive up infront of the building. Someone over the weekend had spray painted it green and black and wrote LW(Lake Worth) on both sides. I guess we have a new rival now. This isn't the first time I've seen something like this. When I was at Carter Riverside, Diamond Hill would TP our school and spray paint the gym in black and red spray paint. Last year I read in the newspaper that Godley had been vandalized by Carter baseball players. Has stuff likethis happened at other highschools across the state? this isnt a new rivalry, but its one that will never die. good luck this season, and i hope no more vandalism happenes to your school.

Phil C
07-23-2004, 11:04 AM
Sinton has a big rivalry with Taft and is one of the longest lasting ones in the state. They two towns are only seven miles apart so naturally there are lots of friends and relatives at the different towns and schools. The rivalry is still on even thought Taft moved to 2A. It was a similar situation for a while between Sinton and Odem since they are only 7 miles apart but when Odem went to 2A the rivalry and series stopped regretfully for the fans. Since Taft and Odem are now in the same district that may be a hugh rivalry too because it is the same situation with Sinton especially since the two towns are only about 14 miles apart.

BIG19
07-23-2004, 11:28 AM
20 some odd years ago, Burnet and Marble Falls had a huge rivalry. Burned each other's bonefires, TP stadiums, and the such. One particular event that sticks out was the time some cut off the head of a dead horse and painted it purple (Marble Falls color) and hung it on their flag pole. Since Marble Falls went to 4A, the rivalry pretty much died, until this year when we join the same district again. Sure hope the rivalry picks back up, but not in that fashion.

Old Tiger
07-23-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by La Grange
La Grange vs. Giddings is nicknamed the Warda Bowl in Fayette and Lee Counties, Warda is a small town of about 20 that is the midpoint between LG and Giddings. The two towns are only about 20 miles apart, but the rivalry does not get that heated.

LG vs. Sealy is just a grudge match between the two. Sealy is made about LG ending the 63 game win streak.

LG vs. Marlin is a playoff rilvary in some minds I think. Too bad LG is down 2-1 at this point.

LG vs. Forney is a State Championship rivalry that no one ever talks about, but it is there. We are up in that one 3-0 :D .

LG vs. Bellville or Columbus are old district rivalries that always were really great games. Dang does everyone hate La Grange? lol

maroonpirate04
07-23-2004, 11:45 AM
Sinton had it's share of vandals on it's property. When I was in high school in the late 80's. The Taft Greyhounds came and distoryed our bon-fire on Homecoming Week after the Seniors spent all week collecting wood. So on Thursday afternoon the Seniors had to rebuilt our bon-fire. Then back in '94 they struck again but this time they spray painted our anchor and chained linked S statue that's located in front of the building green and white. Then put Hounds #1 on the field house . In 2001 they put Sinton Greyhounds Taft Pirates on one of the old buildings in town . In this tradition of rivarly between Sinton and Taft . The Pirates (the real Pirates not Taft) has won more games over Taft since the rivarly began back in the 20's. No matter how much vandals been on our school grounds. Sinton comes out on top.

lobo12
07-23-2004, 10:21 PM
ranger mom how did you find out it was someone from kermit?

Ranger Mom
07-23-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by lobo12
ranger mom how did you find out it was someone from kermit?

Actually, I thought YOU were the one who told me that!

lobo12
07-23-2004, 10:39 PM
are you sure it was me i dont remember?

Ranger Mom
07-23-2004, 10:43 PM
Well....did you know it was someone from Kermit before I said it was?

lobo12
07-23-2004, 10:52 PM
no, do you know for sure it was

Ranger Mom
07-23-2004, 10:55 PM
Not really, someone told me that though. I thought it was someone from Monahans, and you are the only one I know from there.

Are you saying you know something different??:thinking:

lobo12
07-23-2004, 10:57 PM
no i dont