PDA

View Full Version : toughest predistrict schedules

Eagles52
07-18-2004, 04:11 PM
I know that Barbers Hill will play Diboll, West Colombia, Anahuac and Dickinson for sure in predistrict and I was wondering who else has a tough early season stretch and whether tough predistrict schedules help or hurt a team in the long run in your opinion

WOS92
07-18-2004, 04:15 PM
I hope it's ok that I mention WO-S :D
We play Jasper (#2 in 3A), Bay City (#4 in 4A), Newton (#2 in 2A), Nederland (Top 20 in 4A) and Beaumont Central (4A playoff team in 03 and 02).
Coach Hooks has always set up tough pre-district schedules, and I think it's been a real benefit to our team in the past. Playing teams that compete at a high level force you to raise the level of your own play.

GS#17
07-18-2004, 04:18 PM
West Orange-Stark has a killer predistrict schedule. They play Jasper, Nederland, Bay City, Central, and Newton. To top things off, these games come after scrimmages against Dayton and Ozen. It's going to be a very tough road, but I think it's going to be helpful in the long run. Anytime you play top-quality teams, you're gaining great experience and will reap some positive benefits. I don't see any drawbacks at all, and think the games are great for the team and the fans, as well.

Old Green
07-18-2004, 04:26 PM
Cuero has a tough pre-district schedule. The Gobblers are playing West Oso, La Grange, Wharton, Sealy, and Sinton. All were Playoff teams last year and four are ranked in the top 25 according to the polls.

You are right WOS92 playing tougher teams does help your teams . I don't see the the Gobblers coming out of this schedule unscathed in my opinion. I hope I am wrong.:)

turbostud
07-18-2004, 04:42 PM
Port Isabel Tarpons

8/14 Edcouch-Elsa (4a)
8/20 Mercedes (4a)
8/27 Los Fresnos (5a)
9/17 PSJA Memorial (4a)

The first two are scrimmages but thats a tough line up for a 3a school. Sure hope they can stay healthy.

wildstangs
07-18-2004, 06:28 PM
Abilene Wylie has a pretty tough one. I know they have Decaut and Greenwood. I think they also have Aledo on there somewhere.

RBARKER
07-19-2004, 09:23 AM
BH will also play Vidor

District303aPastPlayer
07-19-2004, 09:30 AM
Sinton plays Taft, West Oso, Gregory Portland, Cuero and umm... one other team.... i forgot who :D

Phil C
07-19-2004, 09:33 AM
Orange Grove District.

Phil C
07-19-2004, 09:41 AM
Sinton has the toughest pre-district schedule. They play Taft who even though they recently moved to 2A is always tough. This is one of the longest rivalries in the state and Coach Davis has turned that team around and will give Sinton tough competition. They always play their best game against Sinton which is very good indeed. And this is the first game of the year. For Sinton that increases the risk. I may be off of the order but after Taft Sinton plays Gregory-Portland who is in 4A and is ranked No. 4 in 4A. I just hope we don't have the injuries we had the past two years playing them and hope we drop them quickly because those injuries have hurt us bad the past few seasons. Next is West Oso I think and they have been consistent playoff teams who have done very well. A tough game that week and West Oso will want to avenge last year's loss. Then follows is Cuero a powerful 3A team that beat us bad last year in SINTON. This year the game is in Cuero. Bad News! And next is Orange Grove another powerful 3A playoff team that does well in the playoffs and always plays Sinton tough. Indeed the toughest pre-district schedule for Sinton. I just mainly hope that we get through G-P without injuries. We will see. What a schedule!

spirate_9
07-19-2004, 12:36 PM
Phil you forgot about Beeville.

Aug. 27 Taft H
Sept. 3 Gregory-Portland A
Sept. 10 West Oso H
Sept. 17 Beeville H
Sept. 24 Cuero A
Oct. 1 Orange Grove A
Oct. 8 Goliad* H
Oct. 15 Aransas Pass* A
Oct. 22 Mathis* H
Oct. 29 Ingleside A
Nov. 5 Open
Nov. 12 PLAYOFFS START!!!!

Phil C
07-19-2004, 04:08 PM
Thank you spirate09. Tough Beeville another great 4A powerhouse. Lord a mercy. Two 4A powerhouses. Beeville may not be as powerful as G-P but they are still a great team and they now have a new great coach there by the name of Soza who gave Sinton fits for years at Mathis. Man it just keeps getting worse. I am so discouraged. Then district is tough. Goliad who has competed well with Sinton in the past (thanks for nothing UIL!), Aransas Pass who is always tough and they have Soza's brother which makes it tougher, then Ingleside who has a dynamic new coach that is going to make things tough for Sinton, and of course Mathis is always a powerhouse. Man a murderer's schedule. And then Sinton will be in Division 1. DC's magnizine listes the playoff favorites and in Division 1 we will be the third smallest school competing with many schools that have over 100 more students than us plus it is very highly unlikely that Sinton will play either of the two smaller schools than us. Come on UIL! Give us a break someday!

WOS92
07-19-2004, 04:11 PM
Beeville has made the playoffs three times in the last 20 years. Not really a "powerhouse."

Phil C
07-19-2004, 04:14 PM
Yes but that has been lately WO and they have a new dynamic coach this year that increases the risk.

WOS92
07-19-2004, 04:15 PM
Playoff appearances all-time:
Beeville (6) 1934,81,83,84,99,2001

Pball
07-19-2004, 04:17 PM
Palestine Pre Season

Carthage - 3A (Carthage/Tatum picked 1st/2nd in their district)
Henderson - 4A
Jacksonville - 4A
Tatum - 3A
Whitehouse - 4A

VWG
07-19-2004, 09:44 PM
Vernon has a tough one... Abilene Wylie, Altus, OK. (4A Oklahoma), Wichita Falls High 4A, and I think they play 4A Springtown and 4A Burkburnett. The last two games aren't tough opponents but the first 3 are tough games.

Graham comes into pre-district with Marlin, F.W. South Hills 4A,
Decatur, and I think they play North Richland Hills Birdville 4A.

Abilene Wylie usually has a tough schedule, but with that district they're in they better toughen up before it starts. That is one tough district with Sweetwater, Snyder, Abilene Wylie, Merkel, and Clyde.

Papa Smurf 05
07-20-2004, 01:58 AM
Kennedale's got Crandall, Bridgeport, and Everman in pre-district. I really don't know tons about other teams, but apparently our pre district is far more challegning than district!:D

District303aPastPlayer
07-20-2004, 02:32 AM
if memory serves, the 99 playoff appearance by Beeville was due mainly in part to Chaisson and Bonner... the dynamic Duo of the Trojans...

rhino33
07-20-2004, 02:38 AM
here is our pre-district schedule (ranchview)... not sure how tough it is though... i hear woodrow wilson(4a) has a good running back though

Hillcrest at Franklin
Sept 4th
7:00

Woodrow Wilson at Standridge
Sept 11th
7:00

Pinkston at Standridge
Sept 24th
7:30

Crandall at Crandall
Oct 1st
7:30

TCA at Standridge

Atl_Rabb_Fan
07-20-2004, 04:39 AM
Sep. 3 Hallsville
Sep. 10 Kilgore
Sep. 17 Mt. Pleasent
Sep. 24 T-High
Oct. 1 Carthage

Bigdog1
07-20-2004, 12:53 PM
I know we're 4a but I think our is pretty tough.

8-27 Texas City (home)
9-3 WO-S (away)
9-10 West Brook (home)
9-17 Friendswood (away)

Eagles52
07-20-2004, 11:21 PM
I'd just like to ask that everyone who would like to, state your opinion as far as whether or not you think playing a tough predistrict schedule helps a team in the long run, even with the risk of injuries and things like that.

PhiI C
07-20-2004, 11:28 PM
It is good only if you can get through injury free. Other wise it is no good. What good is it if all your key players are on the bench injured? I prefer not to take the risk. Of course I am mainly talking against playing schools that are in a higher class than you. The injuries possibilities are not worth the risk in my opinion.

rhino33
07-21-2004, 12:05 AM
i think a tough predistrict predistrict schedule is good in the long run if u can do it, and stay healthy, i believe u have to play a better team or a tough team to get better

Old Green
07-21-2004, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by Eagles52
I'd just like to ask that everyone who would like to, state your opinion as far as whether or not you think playing a tough predistrict schedule helps a team in the long run, even with the risk of injuries and things like that.

I belief playing a tough pre-district does help a team prepare for district and the playoffs if you have a large number of starters returning.

If you are starting out with small number of returnees and underclassmen playing a not so rugged schedule allows you to try out new players at different positions and plays which will get you ready also. Kinda like getting more practicein.:)

fury900
07-21-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by VWG
Vernon has a tough one... Abilene Wylie, Altus, OK. (4A Oklahoma), Wichita Falls High 4A, and I think they play 4A Springtown and 4A Burkburnett. The last two games aren't tough opponents but the first 3 are tough games.

Graham comes into pre-district with Marlin, F.W. South Hills 4A,
Decatur, and I think they play North Richland Hills Birdville 4A.

Abilene Wylie usually has a tough schedule, but with that district they're in they better toughen up before it starts. That is one tough district with Sweetwater, Snyder, Abilene Wylie, Merkel, and Clyde.

Vernon Lions 2004 Schedule
date opponent place
aug.27 Springtown Home
sept.3 Altus 5A Ok Home
sept.10 W. F. OLD High There
sept.17 Abilene Wylie** Home
sept.24 Burkburnett There
Oct.1 Clyde There
Oct.8 OPEN
Oct.15 Iowa Park* Home
Oct.22 Hirschi* There
Oct.29 Graham* Home
Nov.5 Breckenridge* There

crabman
07-22-2004, 08:30 PM
This follows Old Greens line of reasoning on starting easy and getting harder. How does LaGrange manage to start out so mediocre every year, sometimes looking very bad, and seem to hit their stride exactly at district time and go three or four rounds into the playoffs with the exact same average talent? Velastro never struck me as a genius but maybe he is more on the ball than I give him credit for. What is the opinion of the LG posters?

La Grange
07-22-2004, 08:51 PM
. I think Keith Hickle played two different positions last year before getting the job done at center. Our first game agianst Sealy we had two sophmores starting on the d-line after that we had none. It is not just Coach V. that moves the players, all of the coaches move and experiment players at many positions. In the spring it isn't unusual for cornerbacks to get time playing noseguards and tackles. Our coaches really use pre-district as what it is, practice, this year is going to be tuff with us only have 3 pre-district games :(

Hupernikomen
07-22-2004, 10:52 PM
Playing a touch predistrict is important for a couple of reasons. First, if you are in a tough district you will need the tough test early to get you prepared for the battles in district. Next, if you are in a weak district then you need to play some competition to test you as much as possible early since you won't be strecthed much during district.

Another factor no one seems to ever mention on here is that the tier one teams (top 10 material) don't have a lot of flexibility in who they can play. How many weak teams you think are going to line up to play teams like WOS, Gainsville, Atlanta etc. etc. during preseason?? Not many!

No accident that Newton is playing a 5A (I think?) team this year. Who in 2A in their right mind would play them in preseason? Embarrassing if you are 3A and lose to them. Sometimes you just have to take what you can get. If you are tough you can expect a tough schedule.