PDA

View Full Version : Back from Mexico City

JasperDog94
07-12-2004, 10:26 AM
I just got back Friday night from an all week Vacation Bible School in Mexico City. Man was that ever exciting. They were expecting around 50 kids, but saw over 150 throughout the week. I led the opening assembly and then helped out with recreation time.

All I can say is this: If you have never been on a mission trip outside of the states or even visited another country for that matter, then you owe it to yourself to go and see how the rest of the world lives. Pictures and videos don't give you the real atmosphere of what it's really like. See it for yourself first hand.

I also pray that the children were able to go away with a sense of who Jesus is. Most of them had never heard about who Jesus is and what He did for us. They've just heard the name without any explaination. It really breaks your heart.

It was a truely remarkable experience and I hope that I get the opportunity to go again next year.

On a side note, I'm just now getting used to the heat again. Mexico City is in the mountains so the highs were in the mid to upper 70s and the lows got down to the lower 50s. It was awesome! You don't need AC! We just slept with the windows open.

CHS_Grad '85
07-12-2004, 10:31 AM
Welcome back... it is an amazing place to visit... the border towns do not begin to show the beauty & diversity of Mexico... I went on a pilgramage back in '97... I have never laughed so much or had been more exhausted... but I'd love to do it again with my kids this time... again, welcome back...

Phil C
07-12-2004, 11:24 AM
Welcome back Jasper! Thank you for your time and sacrifice for something worthwhile. I have a 25 year old niece that has twice gone on a similar mission through a christian organization that I am ashamed to say I don't know its' name. She has gone with other doctors and nurses and ministers twice on two week trips to Guatemala. They go there for religious and medical purposes with doctors and nurses and provide medical treatment to the needy. The patients there are very greatful and cooperate with the nurses and doctors. I didn't realize that Mexico City was in the mountains even though I knew there were some around it so you learn something every day. My eye doctor does the same thing only he goes to Africa for about a month and he operates on patients there one after the other. They have them ready and all he ever sees of them is on the operating table. He does this once a year.

Old Tiger
07-12-2004, 11:36 AM
welcome back!

JasperDog94
07-12-2004, 11:42 AM
Phil,

We have a similar ministry. We have an eye doctor that goes to Africa and Mexico to give out eyeglasses and spread the Gospel at the same time. We have several thousand eyeglasses that have been donated. (or we used to if we haven't used them all) It was a great experience.

I'm scheduled to go to Poland this November. It all depends on who's available to lead worship here at the church if the head music mininster and I both go.

SintonFan
07-12-2004, 05:59 PM
I'm glad you made it back safetly
JasperDog94.