PDA

View Full Version : This coming hunting season....

Gobbla2001
07-11-2004, 12:19 AM
Any of you guys hunt?

I have three places to hunt so far... A friends place in Goliad County, my uncle's place in Victoria County and hopefully my other uncle's place in DeWitt County...

My trigger finger's starting to twitch...

Vrabird
07-11-2004, 08:13 AM
So is mine!! My Dad owns a place in Duval County,south of San Diego. When we go down there to do some work on the weekends,it is just so HOT. Just can't get into the mood in that heat. Can't wait for the first cool front to really get the blood pumping. Good luck Gobbla. May the big buck cross your path this year!:inlove:

Gobbla2001
07-11-2004, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the luck, and the same for you... I think I messed up by purchasing a 270 (I always used relatives guns or something)... Not too many long-long shots in this area, more like 243 and 308 range around here... BUT, I do plan on hunting South-South Texas one of these days, so the 270 will be a better choice for that... Here's the next gun I'll be purchasing...

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/images/031001m.jpg

243 Browning... Gun looks sweet... Safari style...

La Grange
07-11-2004, 11:14 AM
I prefer the waterfowl over the deer. There is just something about waking up at 4 in the morning, getting in your boat, driving accross a lake at 20 degrees with sleat in your face, and then blasting some fat mallards coming into the spread.

I have a Remington 1100 right now, it is a decent gun but hopefully I can get a Beneli super-nova for graduation or a very nice birthday present :D .

Gobbla2001
07-11-2004, 11:21 AM
Ever do any Turkey Hutning (no, not on the field, and no, not this coming FOOTBALL season ha)?

That's fun, when that Gobbler goes off in the distance I get goose-bumps...

La Grange
07-11-2004, 11:26 AM
Well I was in a deer hunting and a fat gobbler walked in my right-of-way and I hadn't seen a nice deer all morning so I shot him :D . I don't know if that counts as turkey hunting, but it sure was fun.

Gobbla2001
07-11-2004, 11:32 AM
The one I took a shot at this season had around and 8-inch beard, pretty big gobbler... I called him in, a 5-incher and two jakes with a diaphram call... Got 'em within 30 yards and let lose...

I was using my 270, I feel it's a tad more sportier that way buy not using a shot gun... Nailed him pretty good but we couldn't find him, just blood and feathers...

Two weeks later the land-owner of the place I was hunting at saw a gobbler under his feeder with a hole just below his neck and a tad to the left... Thing was still alive... I think I'll take a shotgun next time...

La Grange
07-11-2004, 11:49 AM
One morning we were hunting a field with some wild rice in it that just got flooded by the river. Well we were sitting there and a couple of teal came buzzing by and I shot all three of my shells and that little bird wouldn't die, so by that time I was pretty irate so I walked out into the water to fix a decoy and in the water I found half of a green-wing teal's wing. I don't know how it happened but that teal flew off with 1 1/2 wings :D .

Sans Couth
07-11-2004, 12:10 PM
Gobbla sighting in his Deer Rifle
http://www.uzitalk.com/reference/shoots/princeton2003/m60.jpg

WOS1
07-11-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by La Grange
I prefer the waterfowl over the deer. There is just something about waking up at 4 in the morning, getting in your boat, driving accross a lake at 20 degrees with sleat in your face, and then blasting some fat mallards coming into the spread.

I have a Remington 1100 right now, it is a decent gun but hopefully I can get a Beneli super-nova for graduation or a very nice birthday present :D .

I'm with you LG, I much prefer to duck hunt. I have a Benelli Super Black Eagle (the old style), it's a great gun! I have a buddy that has the Nova as well, if you get one, you will love it. Maybe that love for duck hunting comes from that SE Texas blood you've got in you...:D

bullfrog_alumni_02
07-11-2004, 12:36 PM
i have a 249, shes my girl, i take her everywhere w/ me, is it against the rules, still, to have 200 rounds? if i can find a pic, ill post it, or ill take one of her. her name is tori. im not trying to make fun of you guys just poke a little humor.

sinton66
07-11-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Thanks for the luck, and the same for you... I think I messed up by purchasing a 270 (I always used relatives guns or something)... Not too many long-long shots in this area, more like 243 and 308 range around here... BUT, I do plan on hunting South-South Texas one of these days, so the 270 will be a better choice for that... Here's the next gun I'll be purchasing...

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/images/031001m.jpg

243 Browning... Gun looks sweet... Safari style...

Gobbla, no way you messed up if you bought a .270. It has the flattest trajectory of them all. If you get into loading your own ammo, you can kick up the powder and go with 110 grain bullet. Mines accurate to 2 in high at 100 yds, dead on at 200, and 2 in low at 300. Go to the range with it and fine tune it like that.

BullFrog Dad
07-12-2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02
i have a 249, shes my girl, i take her everywhere w/ me, is it against the rules, still, to have 200 rounds? if i can find a pic, ill post it, or ill take one of her. her name is tori. im not trying to make fun of you guys just poke a little humor. John check out the picture above. That man could pass for Coach Brewster.

mwynn05
07-12-2004, 05:20 PM
you hunters would love it here in north idaho for one most of the land is public o you dont have to lease land to hunt on and secondly the the deer are much bigger here and there are elk and moose and bears also

La Grange
07-12-2004, 06:47 PM
They might be Mule Deer :rolleyes: .

There is some public land in Texas. Lake Sumverville, Lake Texoma, and all over the Coastal Bend are some few examples of prime duck hunting.