PDA

View Full Version : Looking more like Purvey will choose Tech or A&M

Sans Couth
07-09-2004, 09:30 PM
Jamaal Charles has given Texas his verbal. Peterson is at OU. He could still choose the Cowboys I guess, but my money has been and still is on Tech.

WOS1
07-09-2004, 09:57 PM
That would be a huge recruit for Tech.

Sans Couth
07-09-2004, 10:02 PM
His team mate Darcel McBath(sp) is already there. I just don't see him going to Texas now. He needs to get on the plane and visit some schools though, and stop worrying about summer round ball. He is ranked high, but he is not the ONLY great back out there this year. Jackson may get one of his three other choices if he doesn't show up and show his stuff.

KL3
07-10-2004, 10:49 AM
I just don't see Purvey, or any other big-time back for that matter, choosing Tech with that offense.

Sans Couth
07-10-2004, 10:56 AM
Are you kidding?

A back with Purvey's abilty to run inside, and also make folks miss in the open field?

Purvey could get the ball 8 times a game in that spread out offense of Tech's and still rush for 2000 yards.

GS#17
07-10-2004, 11:05 AM
I completely agree he would do well at Tech, but I also think a lot of people want to go where they will be featured. I see Tech as a great place to go if you're a standout WR or QB, but for a RB, most of the job will be as a decoy or blocker. I just don't see a top recruit RB getting pumped up about playing second fiddle to a passing attack and only carrying the ball a handful of times per game.

That's not saying he won't go. Like you said, he could garner a lot of attention with the amount of yards he could pick up, and it is a good school. I just could see him going elsewhere.

Sans Couth
07-10-2004, 11:15 AM
Well I personally think he should go out of state now that Jamaal Charles has commited to UT. I think he is way to good to be a decoy at Tech as well, but his actions this summer may be closing doors for him. I think Purvey is one of the best backs in the state, but it seems to me that Basketball has his attention right now, while most of the other premier backs are summer camping the top football schools across the country. I just hate to see him miss so much oportunity. But of course, that's just my opinion.

GS#17
07-10-2004, 11:28 AM
Charles is recovering from shoulder surgery and is expecting to miss a few games this year. I don't know if he will be as strong as he was last year...

HighSchool Fan
07-10-2004, 11:30 AM
I agree with you that he might be missing a great opportunity. However, basketball was his first love. He started as a freshman on the basketball team the won the state championship. At one point he was considered a better basketball player than football player. Maybe he wants to see if he can get a basketball scholarship somewhere.

HighSchool Fan
07-10-2004, 11:31 AM
Oklahoma runs the same offense as Texas Tech. Is Peterson going to be a decoy?

Old Tiger
07-10-2004, 11:45 AM
IMO it would be dumb for him to go to tech. They are more of a passing team, and A&M is balanced.

GS#17
07-10-2004, 11:50 AM
I don't know if Peterson is even going to start.... Regardless, they have similar, but not identical offenses, and a RB can expect to run the ball a lot more at OU than at TT.

I got this info off the teams' websites:

Tech passing: 780-506-23
OU passing: 480-299-11

Tech rushing attempts: 308
OU rushing attempts: 538

HighSchool Fan
07-10-2004, 11:56 AM
I think that if Tech had a decent running back they would run the ball more. Only time will tell.

Sans Couth
07-10-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
I think that if Tech had a decent running back they would run the ball more. Only time will tell.

I agree.

I don't think Purvey would be making a bad move going to Tech. I think it would only make Tech a better team.

HighSchool Fan
07-10-2004, 01:54 PM
It really wouldn't surprise me if he went to Tech. Tech as signed 2 players from Gainesville the last 2 years.

Sans, what are the chances that Tech lets McBath play offense?

Sans Couth
07-10-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
It really wouldn't surprise me if he went to Tech. Tech as signed 2 players from Gainesville the last 2 years.

Sans, what are the chances that Tech lets McBath play offense?

If you want my opinion, I would say not very good. He was recruited as a DB, and while reports that I have seen show he was great at getting to the ball as a WR, Tech already has a stable full of Wideouts. I think McBath will shine at Tech in the position he was brought in to do.