PDA

View Full Version : Jasper offense

WOS1
07-09-2004, 09:42 AM
What are they running now? The last time I watched them was when they kicked the snot out of us in 2001. Are they still running the spread or did they go back to the I? I noticed someone mentioning a stud fullback, although there are different versions and formations, the spread does not typically utilize a fullback. Just wondering.

Hupernikomen
07-09-2004, 10:16 AM
Yes they still run the bone, and the fullback graduated this past year. Ended the year hurt unfortunately.

WOS1
07-09-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
Yes they still run the bone, and the fullback graduated this past year. Ended the year hurt unfortunately.

Are you saying they are now running the old wishbone?

Mustang '89
07-09-2004, 09:46 PM
When Manor played them last year in the Region III final, they ran out of the shotgun. Two backs and the QB lined up next to each other. They would snap the ball to either of the three in the backfield and the other two would block for him.

WOS1
07-09-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Mustang '89
When Manor played them last year in the Region III final, they ran out of the shotgun. Two backs and the QB lined up next to each other. They would snap the ball to either of the three in the backfield and the other two would block for him.

Tightends or all splits from the shotgun?

GS#17
07-09-2004, 10:31 PM
When I watched them scrimmage Nederland last year, they came out of a spread (all splits) primarily. I don't remember seeing a TE, but they probably used one in short-yardage situations. Much like Mustang '89 said, they had a lot of direct snaps to the RB, and they loved the QB draw. I don't remember the QB going under center much, either. It looked a lot like the same offense they ran under Brooks.

Hupernikomen
07-10-2004, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by GS#17
When I watched them scrimmage Nederland last year, they came out of a spread (all splits) primarily. I don't remember seeing a TE, but they probably used one in short-yardage situations. Much like Mustang '89 said, they had a lot of direct snaps to the RB, and they loved the QB draw. I don't remember the QB going under center much, either. It looked a lot like the same offense they ran under Brooks.

I am sorry don't know what I typed bone for..Jasper hasn't ever ran the bone since I have been following them...mid 80's.

They are running the spread. Should be a good offense for them again this year with a very talented group of players at all skill positions. Will have a much heralded soph. qb. Haven't seen the faithful as excited about a player like him in quite a few years.

X Man
07-10-2004, 02:06 AM
Yeah, 2001 was the year Dan tried to run a spread offense after Ennis used it successfully against us. The thing was, we didn't have enough meat up front to give Byerly the protection he needed. Jasper gave it to us that year. What I really liked was the announcer in their press box..........................

WOS1
07-10-2004, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
I am sorry don't know what I typed bone for..Jasper hasn't ever ran the bone since I have been following them...mid 80's.

They are running the spread. Should be a good offense for them again this year with a very talented group of players at all skill positions. Will have a much heralded soph. qb. Haven't seen the faithful as excited about a player like him in quite a few years.

So, is Patton not going to play QB this year?

Hupernikomen
07-10-2004, 09:22 AM
After watching them the last few games last year, I am fairly certain Gilbert Moye (freshman who played qb during streches of the playoff games) will be the qb and patton will be a running back. But I wouldn't be surprised to see patton play some qb with moye at slot or wideout from time to time.

GS#17
07-10-2004, 09:38 AM
Hey, X, I think our main problem with the spread was not the players, but the play calling. Seems like all we did was throw deep, and K. James didn't have the arm for that kind of offense. Had we utilized some shorter routes and an occasaional QB draw, we would have done much better with the offense. By the time Byerly started in 02, we all but scrapped the spread.

WOS1
07-10-2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by GS#17
Hey, X, I think our main problem with the spread was not the players, but the play calling. Seems like all we did was throw deep, and K. James didn't have the arm for that kind of offense. Had we utilized some shorter routes and an occasaional QB draw, we would have done much better with the offense. By the time Byerly started in 02, we all but scrapped the spread.

I agree with that analysis 110%. Have we discussed that a time or two? ;) :D

JasperDog94
07-10-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by X Man
What I really liked was the announcer in their press box.......................... Can you explain?

D. R. Hooks
07-10-2004, 05:20 PM
Hey Jasper Dog.....Whatever happened to Coach Waz ( sp?)

http://www.flickingerweather.com/wos.JPG

whatusay2
07-11-2004, 10:00 AM
Last I heard, Coach Walkoviak was coaching in Newton.

JasperDog94
07-11-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by whatusay2
Last I heard, Coach Walkoviak was coaching in Newton. That's the last I heard.

Hupernikomen
07-11-2004, 11:37 PM
Coach W did a very good job in Coldspring before moving on to Newton. I spoke with him a couple times in his stay there. They were running the wishbone in Coldspring and he mentioned he wished he had used it at Jasper (felt like he could have won it all with the bone). Interesting thought.

JasperDog94
07-11-2004, 11:51 PM
Jasper had the athletes to win it all in the mid 80's. It was Coach W's play selection that was terrible. We had 4 plays. Run left, run right, run up the middle, and throw the bomb.

Bulldog92
07-12-2004, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Jasper had the athletes to win it all in the mid 80's. It was Coach W's play selection that was terrible. We had 4 plays. Run left, run right, run up the middle, and throw the bomb.
Jasper has always had the players to win it all and as much as I respect Coach Walkoviak for what he did there for the kids all those years and me personally, you're right about the play calling. I asked him about that when I was a freshman in '88-89 (I had guts, apparently) and he told me that old line about how more bad things happen when you pass than when you run. At the time I thought we needed to have some variety and not run all the time because come playoff time, better defenses had always shut down the veer that he swore by. He won 200+ games there, though and I was a trainer/manager. I just thought it was worth asking him....:)

WOS92
07-12-2004, 05:32 AM
I'm not doubting anything, I'm just curious - how many games did Coach W win? I went to the Collier-Sharp list of winningest coaches, which lists all coaches with more than 160 wins, and couldn't find him. I was just curious b/c Coach Hooks just hit 200 about two years ago and I know there aren't a whole lot of them. I think this list is just through the end of 2002.

http://www.tisd.net/~wesleyu/winningestcoa.html

Bulldog92
07-12-2004, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by WOS92
I'm not doubting anything, I'm just curious - how many games did Coach W win? I went to the Collier-Sharp list of winningest coaches, which lists all coaches with more than 160 wins, and couldn't find him. I was just curious b/c Coach Hooks just hit 200 about two years ago and I know there aren't a whole lot of them. I think this list is just through the end of 2002.

http://www.tisd.net/~wesleyu/winningestcoa.html
That was a typo. I was there for #100. He had been there since '77 or '78 and that happened in '89. 200 wins would be mathematically impossible in that amount of time. My mistake...:)

JasperDog94
07-12-2004, 09:20 AM
Newton's coach Barbay is tied for # 15.:clap: :clap: :clap:

That guy is a class act.:)

WOS92
07-12-2004, 09:24 AM
I agree.