Predicted Order of Finish:

1. Gilmer
2. Pittsburg
3. Gladewater
4. Mineola
5. Sabine

1. Gilmer Buckeyes Starters Returning 2/2 Last Year: 13-1
Key Players: WR Manuel Johnson, DB Keith Hollis, LB Daniel Dodd
Outlook: Gilmer very nearly rolled all the way to a state title last year before running into the Atlanta juggernaut.....this year there is some rebuilding to do in Upshur County....but the cupboard isn't bare....DCTF 3A coverboy Johnson leads the way...Johnson caught 13 TDs and racked up 1400 yards...however there may not be anyone to get him the ball.....he could end up at QB.....the D will be young however they have 2 good ones to build the D around in Dodd and Hollis....

2. Pittsburg Pirates Starters Returning 7/8 Last Year: 4-6
Key Players: TB Billy Martin, QB Otis Doddy, QB Corey Fedney
Outlook: The folks in Chicken Town are excited as Pitt will be a team to keep an eye on......with 15 starters back and few seniors the next 2 years could be fun to watch....especially 2005....Doddy and Fedney may rotate at QB...Fedney is the better thrower and Doddy has breakaway speed....when Doddy isn't playing QB he could be at TB.....Pitt should make the playoffs this year which gives all the youngsters great experience...and it could make folks in East Texas nervous...Pittsburg hasn't been to the playoffs since 2000.....

3. Gladewater Bears Starters Returning 8/5 Last Year: 2-8
Key Players: WR Keith Johnson, LB/OL Reese Barnhill, QB Hunter Harris
Outlook: The Bears stumbled in 2003 going 2-8...Sam Edwards was QB last year but look for Harris the transfer from Big Sandy to start out at QB........Edwards could be used at WR along with the talented Johnson.....Mondrate Hall and Arlandus Gregory look to team in the backfield to pace the Bears ground game....offense may carry the Bears early while the D matures....

4. Mineola Yellow Jackets Starters Returning 6/6 Last Year: 3-7
Key Players: QB JP Bigham, DE Moses Fuller, LB Alex Epps
Outlook: Bigham was the 11-3A offensive newcomer of the year as a sophmore....so QB is set in Mineola for 2 years......Fuller and Epps pace a speedy D....Mineola last made the playoffs in 2001 and it had been since 1989 since their last trip.....

5. Sabine Cardinals Starters Returning 7/3 Last Year: 2-8
Key Players: QB Billy Clarke, OL Cody Kennedy, RB RB Ryan Walther
Outlook: SHS hasn't made the playoffs since 1985 and only has 4 trips in school history 1949, 1952, 1953 and 1985....the offense has 7 back but averaged less than 10 points a game in 2003....Walther was the leading rusher....

3afan
07-08-2004, 05:08 PM
Gladewater will bounce back, they have one of the best 3A programs in E Tex

Gilmer Buckeye
07-11-2004, 08:59 AM
I would predict Gladewater as runner-up before I would Pittsburg.

I can also tell you that there is very little chance of Manuel Johnson playing QB. That said, I can't tell you who WILL be QB yet either. Hollis was the backup last season, but there are a couple of other prospects for the position.

BTW, Hollis' first name is Kevin. One of these days when he is starring for Kansas State, I'm sure it will be a household name.

This would be classified as a rebuilding year under anyone other than Coach Traylor. His leadership alone is worth two or three victories per regular season.

It is possible the Buckeyes may even have a beefy freshman or two make the varsity this fall to plug holes in our O-line and that is almost unprecedented for Gilmer.

Time for me to eat crow here on Aug. 31. Manuel Johnson is not only starting at QB; he may turn out to be one of the better ones in the state before the season is through.