PDA

View Full Version : A little info about WOS

chaingang
07-08-2004, 04:51 PM
This is a article by a local newspaper about WOS. This is just a little insight on who we are.

The Mustangs led by long-time coach Dan Hooks have been slugged No. 1 in Class 3A in the state by Texas High School Football, a mark Hooks said has both a good side and a bad side.

"There are definitely pros and cons to being pre-season No. 1," said Hooks whos Mustangs have won two state titles and 11 outright district titles in a 19 year span. "The good part is for the kids and the community but the downside is that the No. 1 is bulletin board material for our opponents. Now I have told the kids after we talk in my office to leave the office and hit the weights or the track. There is a lot of pressure on us."

WO-S is coming off two strange seasons that saw them post back-to-back 8-2 records and yet miss out on the playoffs. Being in the tough District 20-4A that had nine teams can seem to do that to any team.

The Mustangs will now join the ranks of Bridge City, Hamshire-Fannett, Orangefield, Anahuac and Hardin-Jefferson in making up a competitive District 24-3A.

By the time the Mustangs even reach their first district game on Oct. 8, at home against Hardin-Jefferson, the Mustangs will have played one of the toughest non-district schedules to be put in front of a team.

WO-S starts the season Aug. 27 with a home game against pre-season No. 3 Jasper, Sept. 3 is a home game against 4A No. 34 Nederland, Sept. 11 is a battle in Pearland against 4A No. 5 Bay City, Sept. 17 sees the Mustangs travel to Beaumont Central and Sept. 24 Hooks and Co. will travel to 2A No. 2 Newton.

"That is as good a non-district schedule has we have ever had," said Hooks. "It is a good thing records do not start counting until October. That No. 1 will put a lot of pressure on us but we hope to play well and win as many as we can."

The Mustangs will return quarterback Ryan Crouch who posted 1,230 yards passing last season with 17 touchdowns and only seven interceptions. Kenneth Beasley also returns and is looking to add a lot of speed to an already fast offense that averaged 244.7 yards a season last year.

And as for defense, well that is always a staple in Mustang Country. The Mustangs gave up only 120 points last season in the 4A ranks and 197.7 yards a game.

Hooks' teams always seem to win, plain and simple. Throw in the possibility of the return of Mark Foreman and Cornell Thompson and the glory days of the Mustangs could be once again right around the corner.

"Mark and Cornell's situation is all pending," said Hooks. "I have had a few coaching spots open up and it will probably be a week or so before whether I know for sure they are coming back. Naturally I would love to have them back on my staff. I would think that would help us be that much better."

Behind WO-S in the poll through the first 10 are returning champions Gainesville, Jasper, Vernon, Rice Consolidated, La Grange, Atlanta, Port Isabel, Abilene Wylie and Decatur. Kirbyville cracked the top 20 at No. 16.

"We are coming off a pretty good two-year run going 16-4 in that span and I said 'Wait a minute, how did this happen,'" said Hooks of his surprise of the top spot. "I think the opening game against Jasper should be real exciting. The kids have been working hard and we played in that 7-on-7 tournament."

The Mustangs finished a very-close second to 5A Port Arthur Memorial in the tournament to qualify for the state tournament.

"This should be a very exciting year for Mustang football if we take care of our business," said Hooks. "If we stay healthy and there is never anything you can do about that, but if we do we should be just fine this year."

Hupernikomen
07-08-2004, 10:31 PM
"And as for defense, well that is always a staple in Mustang Country. The Mustangs gave up only 120 points last season in the 4A ranks and 197.7 yards a game.

Hooks' teams always seem to win, plain and simple. Throw in the possibility of the return of Mark Foreman and Cornell Thompson and the glory days of the Mustangs could be once again right around the corner."

Those two paragraphs say a lot. Wow..197.7 ypg against the schedule they played last year (without Foreman or Thompson).

Can't wait to see the my Dogs and them get it on in zero week.

Old Tiger
07-08-2004, 10:35 PM
I don't know about anyone else but I'm already tired of hearing about WO-S. I know yall are good and all but it gets a little old.

SintonFan
07-08-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
I don't know about anyone else but I'm already tired of hearing about WO-S. I know yall are good and all but it gets a little old.
LOL
:D

WOS92
07-08-2004, 10:40 PM
You guys do realize that, for the most part, we're only posting in defense of ourselves... right?

SintonFan
07-08-2004, 10:46 PM
Hehe
;)

Old Tiger
07-08-2004, 11:02 PM
lmao, i gotcha sintonfan

Hupernikomen
07-08-2004, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by WOS92
You guys do realize that, for the most part, we're only posting in defense of ourselves... right?

You guys "play defense" on this bullentin board like the Stangs play defense on the field...everybody to the "ball". I for one am just glad it is WOS this year who will get all the "love" by the down low instead of the Dogs.

WOS1
07-08-2004, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
You guys "play defense" on this bullentin board like the Stangs play defense on the field...everybody to the "ball". I for one am just glad it is WOS this year who will get all the "love" by the down low instead of the Dogs.

We do like to "swarm". We've had a little experience dealing with those folks from Nederland.

BTW- is Jasper still running the spread or did they go back to the I?

Old Tiger
07-08-2004, 11:21 PM
you caught me sintonfan, you caught the tiger! lol

SintonFan
07-08-2004, 11:28 PM
lol
Don't worry now...

Old Tiger
07-09-2004, 12:00 AM
yea, i decided to be myself now because everyone else is takin :D

plus i'm not old :D

SintonFan
07-09-2004, 12:16 AM
yea, i decided to be myself now because everyone else is takin :D:D
and you are a liberal... LOL:crazy:

Old Tiger
07-09-2004, 12:23 AM
what's a liberal, i don't know anything about pollitics!

SintonFan
07-09-2004, 12:38 AM
Thank goodness! An honest poster for a change! :)
:cool:

Old Tiger
07-09-2004, 12:39 AM
Thanks pal....only a handful of people know the conspieracy:rolleyes: :nerd:

SintonFan
07-09-2004, 12:44 AM

Old Tiger
07-09-2004, 12:45 AM
know about the conspieracy* i said it wrong!

SintonFan
07-09-2004, 12:50 AM
LOL

Old Tiger
07-09-2004, 12:54 AM
it will ruin the conspieracy!!!! :hand:

SintonFan
07-09-2004, 12:58 AM

Old Tiger
07-09-2004, 01:00 AM
no, check pm's