PDA

View Full Version : Story on how Gainesville's baseball field got it's name

Keith7
01-15-2004, 10:57 PM
Gainesville Owls

The ladies wore dresses, hats, gloves, and high heels. The men wore suits and hats.

The occasion? A movie premier? Graduation ceremony? Special church service?

Actually, it was the standard dress at the Gainesville Owls baseball games!

In 1947, Gainesville acquired a franchise in the Class B Big State
professional baseball league which included teams in Texarkana,
Sherman-Denison, Wichita Falls, Austin, Waco, Paris, Temple, and
Greenville. The Gainesville franchise became known as the Gainesville
Owls.
During that first season, according to old newspaper clippings, the
Owls were owned by three men: George Frizzell, Cecil Farr, and Harvey
Shanks. Their budget was tight. Team members received uniforms,
but the players furnished certain extras such as gloves and shoes. Fans
paid $1.00 admission to help with the costs. But, the fans did not seem to
mind, as attending an Owls game appeared to be a favorite pastime for
many local citizens. People dressed up to go to the games—no jeans and
tennis shoes!
In any case, by the end of the first season, the team was far from being
in first place and the financial state of the organization was precarious. At
that point, the citizens of Gainesville voted to purchase the team and provide
financial support. Dr. W. Herbert Locke, for whom Locke Field was named,
became president of the Gainesville Owls after the city bought the franchise.
The Owls survived for a few more years but poor finances finally took
their toil and the team folded. Though they disbanded years ago, many
people still remember the thrill of watching the Gainesville Owls—“the
boys of summer”—play ball!

KTJ
01-15-2004, 11:21 PM
While Locke Field is historic, it's run down and needs to be renovated. Basically, it blows.

I wish that bond would have passed. Then Gainesville would have had a extra nice facility for both softball and baseball, instead of using the city's fields.

Keith7
01-16-2004, 01:18 AM
KTJ:
While Locke Field is historic, it's run down and needs to be renovated. Basically, it blows.

I wish that bond would have passed. Then Gainesville would have had a extra nice facility for both softball and baseball, instead of using the city's fields.They are redoing the seat's now, they put in a new fence in the outfield, fixed the scoreboard, and re-painted the whole place last year.. its prolly alot better then you remember..
Coach Byrd took plenty of care of it

KTJ
01-16-2004, 11:32 AM
Is Byrd still there? I remember doing offseason with him for a few weeks after basketball was out. He'd always say some stupid sayings to make us "hustle". He was kinda hilarious.

Keith7:

KTJ:

I wish that bond would have passed. Then Gainesville would have had a extra nice facility for both softball and baseball, instead of using the city's fields.They are redoing the seat's now, they put in a new fence in the outfield, fixed the scoreboard, and re-painted the whole place last year.. its prolly alot better then you remember..
Coach Byrd took plenty of care of it

Keith7
01-16-2004, 12:33 PM
KTJ:
Is Byrd still there? I remember doing offseason with him for a few weeks after basketball was out. He'd always say some stupid sayings to make us "hustle". He was kinda hilarious.

Keith7:

KTJ:

Coach Byrd took plenty of care of itno he went to sherman to be with an old friend, Coach byrd was one of my favorite coaches.. I remember one time we were hittin in the batting cages and a storm was rolling in, and he was in the bath room changing, and all of a sudden it started poaring down Hail and then you see Coach Byrd come charing out in nothing but his boxers yelling "get in to the dug out!!!!!", and he did not go back into the bathroom until everyone was in the dugout.. that was one of the funniest things i remember about high school