PDA

View Full Version : Medical Question

Ranger Mom
07-07-2004, 08:19 AM
Are there any doctors out there?

I woke up this morning and my right eye was almost swollen shut. I noticed yesterday morning that my eyelid was kinda puffy, but my eyelid almost up to my eyebrow is swollen today. The eyelid is red around the rim and it hurts to blink.

I called my Dr. but they are booked and can't see me until tomorrow afternoon. My vacation starts tomorrow and I really don't wanna spend my first day of vacation sitting in a Drs. office.

Any home remedies? What are the symptoms of pink eye...is the eye itself pink? My eyes aren't red, just my one eyelid.

Any suggestions? Do you think if I went to Walgreens the pharmacist might be able to help?

Pudlugger
07-07-2004, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Are there any doctors out there?

I woke up this morning and my right eye was almost swollen shut. I noticed yesterday morning that my eyelid was kinda puffy, but my eyelid almost up to my eyebrow is swollen today. The eyelid is red around the rim and it hurts to blink.

I called my Dr. but they are booked and can't see me until tomorrow afternoon. My vacation starts tomorrow and I really don't wanna spend my first day of vacation sitting in a Drs. office.

Any home remedies? What are the symptoms of pink eye...is the eye itself pink? My eyes aren't red, just my one eyelid.

Any suggestions? Do you think if I went to Walgreens the pharmacist might be able to help?

RangerMom call your Doc back and tell them it is an emergency and ask to be worked in. He or she should be able to do that since a swollen eyelid could be serious. If they wont do that, find a new doctor and meanwhile go to the ER. Good luck.

Sorry, no medical advice over the internet, besides I'm a gynecologist!

Ranger Mom
07-07-2004, 08:30 AM
Now you got me all scared!!:eek:

I guess it is good that the swelling has gone down alot since I got up?

I am at work and I can actually see out of both eyes now....driving to work was a little scary though!!

CHS_Grad '85
07-07-2004, 08:31 AM
Woke up with a sty in my eyelashes that caused a lot of pain and swelling... I put a warm compress on it to relieve the pain... it helped the swelling a little... but at least I was able to go to work... then about noon... the sty popped on its own... I think the compressed helped bring it to a head... may want to try that...

Ranger Mom
07-07-2004, 08:36 AM
But don't you usually see a bump or some kind of head on it when it's a sty?

Getting ready for work this morning was a snap....no eye makeup. I have been out in the sun enough so I don't have to wear any base. A dab of lip gloss and I was out the door, albeit, with only one good eye.

Pud's got me nervous though.....we have several minor emergency clinics here, but the wait time is FOREVER!

I can't even leave work right now. Out of the 3 girls that work here, I am the only one here right now and will be till about 2:00, so I can't even go anywhere until someone else is here to hold down the fort!:mad:

CHS_Grad '85
07-07-2004, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
But don't you usually see a bump or some kind of head on it when it's a sty?
Well... at first I thought it was pink eye cos I had never had that before... and as far as I could tell I didn't have a bump in the lid (mine was in the lower lid by the way)... but it hurt really bad and my vision was blurry...

maybe an eye doctor can work you in better... try the one at Walmart - they never look busy...

Ray_BearKat
07-07-2004, 11:04 AM
Rangermom, the same things is happening to me...I had been having slight pain in my eyelid, like it was bruised for a couple of days and today in the morning it was puffy. When something like that happens especially around the eye area I always like to take a Claritin or someother type of allergy medication before going to the doctor. It might just be a gland blockage in which case the Claritin would clear it up but if it doesn't work you should go to the doctor. Sty's are usually cleared up in a day after taking a Claritin. All I know is I took one and I'll keep you informed on my progress.

Old Tiger
07-07-2004, 11:11 AM
It could by allergies.

Ranger Mom
07-07-2004, 11:19 AM
I talked to the pharmacist....he says if it was some type of allergic reaction it should be in both eyes.

He told me I could try benadryl but warned against me driving....it's not THAT powerful, is it?

After looking at it, he thinks I should go to the doctor. I am gonna give it a couple of days anyway to see what happens. I have never been one to run to the doctor at the first sign of something.

He suspects pink eye or an infection. My kids have had both in the past year and I should still have some medicine that hasn't expired yet!

marlin fan
07-07-2004, 11:22 AM
Momma you have me scared now!!! go to the ER!!!!!!!!11

Ray_BearKat
07-07-2004, 11:26 AM
I telling you RM just go to a drug store and by some plain over the counter Claritin its not too expensive to use, try it. If it doesn't work then at least you know but if it does you saved your self a doctors visit.

And of course he's gonna warn you about it...he doesn't want to be held responsible if anything should happen while under the influence of Benadryl. But it should make you drowsy not give you narcalepsy:D

Sans Couth
07-07-2004, 11:43 AM
MOM,

I just want to tell you how proud I am of you for going to work. Most of the guys on this board would be sitting on the couch playing video games with their one good eye. Your a trooper, and an ispiration.:D

Phil C
07-07-2004, 01:28 PM
Ranger you better see a doctor even if you have to go to the ER. It is not wise to take chances with your eyes.

District303aPastPlayer
07-07-2004, 04:19 PM
it may be a bight that you got during the night on your eyelid..

Greenwood Teach
07-07-2004, 04:27 PM
What have you found out? I had pink eye about a year ago and it hurt like I had a tree branch in my eye or something! I'm trying to remember the doctor's name that I saw. He is an opthamologist. Let us know how you're doing.

Old Tiger
07-07-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Sans Couth
MOM,

I just want to tell you how proud I am of you for going to work. Most of the guys on this board would be sitting on the couch playing video games with their one good eye. Your a trooper, and an ispiration.:D That's why discovery channel made a special about her called "A Night In The Jungle With Kellye" :D

BHKrystal06
07-08-2004, 07:39 AM
RM, do you wear contacts?

BrahmaMom
07-08-2004, 08:34 AM
Ranger Mom, don't sit on this any longer. You would feel really badly if you had permanent damage b/c you didn't want to sit at the doctor's office. Compresses, Claritin are all good temporary measures till you get to the doctor and will give him/her good information when you get there. You can't take care of anyone else if you don't take care of yourself! Listen to THIS Mom!