PDA

View Full Version : No Basketball until Football season is over

Keith7
12-10-2003, 02:18 PM
Does any other team do this???
cuz Gainesville wont play any games until Football is done with.. This cant help prepare the other kids, and our first scheduled game is the first game of district

kaorder1999
12-10-2003, 02:25 PM
ive heard of a few schools that do that...especially the schools that have their head basketball coach also coaching football. While they are in the playoffs the AD/Head Football Coach wants all that coaches attention on football. ( I would guess)

Commerce does that. Not sure of what other schools do. And in some situations all the kids that play basketball play football.

and from a football guys standpoint...thats a good problem to have

<small>[ December 10, 2003, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: kaorder1999 ]</small>

Keith7
12-10-2003, 02:31 PM
yea 12 of the 15 guys that are predicted to be on varsity are playing football..

but i was thinkin that they could put those other 3 guys on j.v. and play j.v. games to prepare for the season

Fletch
12-10-2003, 02:35 PM
Celina does it, and you can imagine how their basketball program suffered in 98,99,00 and 01 when they played football until late December.

No practices until almost January!

Nobody cared much though. :D :D

kaorder1999
12-10-2003, 02:37 PM
is the basketball coach also a football coach...what about the sub-varsity coaches...are they also football coaches...i bet thats where the main prob lies

Keith7
12-10-2003, 02:40 PM
yeah, we have a new coach this year, and he is the running backs coach in basketball...

Last year we had a football coach also but we started at the normal time..

Gainesville needs to have a seperate head basketball coach like we had the 3 years we went to state

crzyjournalist03
12-10-2003, 02:40 PM
kaorder1999:
is the basketball coach also a football coach...what about the sub-varsity coaches...are they also football coaches...i bet thats where the main prob liesForney plays games before the end of football season...there's just a little roster juggling once the football players join the team.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but in recent years Forney's basketball coach has been an assistant coach on the football team...when basketball starts, I think another coach just takes over his duties on the football team and he concentrates on basketball...I may be wrong, but I think that's how it works.

kaorder1999
12-10-2003, 02:42 PM
yeah...morrison still coaches football in the playoffs also....on game nights.

he was a freshman football coach so his freshman coaching duties arent needed during football playoffs.

some basketball coaches are position coaches in football and they need to be at football practice

<small>[ December 10, 2003, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: kaorder1999 ]</small>

GETBACKCOACH
12-10-2003, 03:07 PM
Keith,
Here you go again.........Putting your nose where it doesn't belong. You said yesterday that Coach Cordell was your coach and he knew what he was doing. HE DOES. All the kids on the varsity have varsity experience (many in the state tournament)(5 have rings). You want to play JV kids in the pre-seaon with schedule Gainesville plays (Lincoln, Roosevelt, Dunbar, Denton Ryan, Lancaster, just to mention a few 4 & 5A's.) Let the kids play football and win a State Championship and then go do it in Basketball without a 19 year old expert(Keith) getting something started on here.

BE POSITIVE and you will do alot more for your School.

Keith7
12-10-2003, 03:15 PM
GETBACKCOACH:
Keith,
Here you go again.........Putting your nose where it doesn't belong. You said yesterday that Coach Cordell was your coach and he knew what he was doing. HE DOES. All the kids on the varsity have varsity experience (many in the state tournament)(5 have rings). You want to play JV kids in the pre-seaon with schedule Gainesville plays (Lincoln, Roosevelt, Dunbar, Denton Ryan, Lancaster, just to mention a few 4 & 5A's.) Let the kids play football and win a State Championship and then go do it in Basketball without a 19 year old expert(Keith) getting something started on here.

BE POSITIVE and you will do alot more for your School.ok? sorry??
I was never complaining i was just wondering if other schools did this??? and what good is it doing on developing JV kids by just having them practice?? how are they gonna know how to play in a game if the dont get a chance to????
I'm not the athletic director and i dont make decisions so why in the world would get so angry over what my opinion is???

kaorder1999
12-10-2003, 03:23 PM
Keith....i thought it was a good topic...

Keith7
12-10-2003, 03:26 PM
GETBACKCOACH:
Keith,

BE POSITIVE and you will do alot more for your School.I might just change what school i cheer for if all Gainesville fans hate me this much

Phil C
12-10-2003, 03:28 PM
I agree ka that it is a good topic. I wonder what Everman did last year since they won state in both basketball and football.

crzyjournalist03
12-10-2003, 08:48 PM
Keith7:

GETBACKCOACH:
Keith,

BE POSITIVE and you will do alot more for your School.I might just change what school i cheer for if all Gainesville fans hate me this muchCome on Keith...let me hear it just once from you..."Go Forney!"

kaorder1999
12-10-2003, 09:07 PM
crzyjournalist03:

Keith7:

GETBACKCOACH:
Keith,

BE POSITIVE and you will do alot more for your School.I might just change what school i cheer for if all Gainesville fans hate me this muchCome on Keith...let me hear it just once from you..."Go Forney!"yeah...that'll happen!

ctownqb
12-10-2003, 10:24 PM
Our head basketball coach is also the quarter back coach. While we were still playing football the people that just played basketball practiced at 6:30 after football pratice. They also had a few games before football was over. Our coach could do both basketball and football at the same time.

kaorder1999
12-10-2003, 10:29 PM
TRUE BUT THE THING IS....MOST COACHES...ESPECIALLY POSITION COACHES WORK WAY PAST THE END OF PRACTICE. IF PRACTICE ENDS AT 6:30 THEN THAT COACH IS USUALLY WATCHING FILM OR MEETING TILL 8:30 OR SO....A HEAD COACH WILL USUALLY EXPECT HIS ASSISTANTS TO WORK PAST THE END OF PRACTICE

Leopards,class of 75
12-10-2003, 11:13 PM
Keith, don't you think Gainesville should have a really good Basketball team this year?

Ranger Mom
12-10-2003, 11:54 PM
Greenwood has a basketball coach not affiliated with football at all. J.V. kids are pulled up to play until football is over. Unfortunately because of Greenwood's early exit from the play-offs, our basketball team came together fairly early this year. (I say unfortunately, but I am sure the basketball coach didn't see it like that!) :p

P.S. to Keith7 - I thought it was a very good question also!! You cheer for your leopards and don't worry about what the other fans think!!!

<small>[ December 10, 2003, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: Ranger Mom ]</small>

Keith7
12-11-2003, 02:03 AM
Leopards,class of 75:
Keith, don't you think Gainesville should have a really good Basketball team this year?Yeah, i'm amazed we arnt ranked.. we return EVERYBODY from a regional finalist.. we should have a pretty darn good team

<small>[ December 11, 2003, 01:04 AM: Message edited by: Keith7 ]</small>