PDA

View Full Version : A New Kid on the Block!?

PhiI C
07-03-2004, 07:35 PM
Maria Sharapova defeats Serena Williams at Wimbleton in women's tennis. I don't know if it is a big upset because she beat her 6-2 and 6-4 in two straight sets. I don't know if it was because Serena had surgery last year or has been busy with her acting career but perhaps it is mostly because there is a new kid on the block. Those of us (me included) are going to know Maria's name better because she is only 17 and will be around probably for the next 10 to 15 years if not longer. Yes she is from Russia but she handles herself well and speaks excellent English and I think she can win you over if you don't know her yet. Either way we are probably going to be hearing a lot about this girl in the future. I hope she moves to America like Martina did.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-03-2004, 07:45 PM
Yeah, maybe she'll move somewhere close to Rockdale....:D

BlueBlood
07-04-2004, 07:26 AM
I think she has been living in America since she was young enough to swing a racket.

PhiI C
07-04-2004, 08:24 AM
That is good information Blue and you are probably right. She spoke English very well. She probably lives in Florida if she does live here.

bullfrog_alumni_02
07-04-2004, 01:37 PM
a few of the guys i work w/ were saying she is from florida, but im planning on going to wembledon next yr on leave, im gonna meet her.:D but serioulsly it would be nice...

barbosa
07-04-2004, 03:01 PM
I am happy she won. It is good for the girls game. I am disappointed that Roddick lost but Federer is a great champion that puts his ego away. I have respect for him. I think Maria will be around for a long time. At least i hope she is. She carries herself very well and did not crumble in front of the whole tennis world. She did what Anna K could not, win a major. In my opinion she looks better than Anna K and certainly plays better tennis. She has knockout looks and she knows what the public eye wanted but she concentrated on tennis and won the biggest major of all. She is a bombshell. WOW.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-04-2004, 08:11 PM
Hey, all of you back off...she's mine. :mad: