agrabfan
12-13-2002, 04:00 PM
Which teams have a lot of returning talent? How
about Wilmer Hutchins, Carthage, Atlanta, Spring
Hill, Daingerfield? I am already in the mood to
see how my Forney Jackrabbits might match up. We
should be better offensively if we can replace our
three middle linemen. Our defense is always good,
but we definitely have some good players to replace. Kicker got better as the year went on and
he was a plus in the playoffs. We were a little
better this year than I thought we would be. We
will be good next year, but it is hard to say just
how good.

rholl
12-13-2002, 04:19 PM
As an Everman fan I notice that the QB and the running back are both coming back right??? Those are 2 big +'s!! Also you talked of kicker....I don't know his class but the punter had a really good game...punters really don't get a lot of credit...but if you do your job right you can make your offenses stalled drive and 70 to 80 yrd drive for the opponent most of the time!!!!

Gilmer Buckeye
12-13-2002, 04:30 PM
The Gilmer Buckeyes have won their district outright the last two seasons, once in District 16-3A (over Daingerfield and Spring Hill) and recently in District 11-3A (over Lindale and Mount Vernon). Our coach, Jeff Traylor, has just finished his third season. He is 22-10 overall (6-4, 8-3, 8-3). We scored 23 points on Daingerfield in bi-district, the highest total the Tigers have allowed to date in 2002.
We are losing only eight seniors. Our offensive stars, QB Derek McKenzie and RB Andrew Hines (who runs about 4.3 in the 40), are coming back. Sophomore sensation Manuel Johnson will be the premier receiver once again. We need to improve our kicking game somewhat and become more consistent in that phase of the game.
Also, Coach Traylor has said our players need to bulk up during the off-season if they are ever to tackle big, fast backs like Daingerfield's. Well, the problem is not tackling D'field's backs. It's keeping them tackled that's the issue. They have a habit of breaking three or four tackles on every carry if you don't wrap up. Our middle linebacker weighed only 138 pounds at season's end.
If Gilmer can avoid injuries next season, it will be a force to be reckoned with in Region II. We will definitely be favored to repeat as district champions. I can guarantee you every one of the dozens of returning Buckeyes would love a rematch with our old rival, the Daingerfield Tigers, who will probably be the defending state champions at that point.

crzyjournalist03
12-13-2002, 08:39 PM
wow...is that a Forney fan in Hutch?

ThaRealBulldog
12-14-2002, 12:36 AM
Carthage has alot of guys coming back and will be stout.

Keith7
12-14-2002, 12:31 PM
Gainesville will win.. no questions asked

runninrabbit04
12-14-2002, 02:49 PM
Forney will be good next year...We have Hanie, Laury, Davis, and Adams returning for a great offense...We have Najarro, Johnson, and King coming back on the o-line....Our defense will be good next year...a whole lot of new faces coming in and coming back. nevertheless all our 2003 grads will be greatly missed next year...Everyone said Forney wouldn't go far this year but we did...If you went to the everman game you saw what we could do...I don't think that we will be counted out next year. I can't wait for next year

<small>[ December 14, 2002, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: runninrabbit04 ]</small>

turbostud
12-14-2002, 03:11 PM
Keith7, I have one question, Celina?

cajun1
12-14-2002, 03:17 PM
I agree Forney will have some talent coming back but, Wills Point will also have some talent coming back and I feel that The Rabbits and Tigers will see each other again in the first round.... The returning players will be
Brandon Stevens
Dustin Daniel
Chris Cunigan
Todd Jurica
Lucky Greer
Chad Kenny
Eric Keierieber
Justin McDougle
Ricky Bambico
Our O-line will have to step it up they will be young but, they have some size to them.
I feel our Defense should be alright.....
Good Luck to Both team next year.....

Keith7
12-14-2002, 07:01 PM
turbostud:
Keith7, I have one question, Celina?Celina beat us this year thanks to the Refs, and Josh Sharrock.. This year playin in Gainesville and no Sharrock, and most of the Gainesville team coming back, theres no question that Gainesville will beat celina next year..

Rabbit'93
12-14-2002, 08:24 PM
hhmmmmm that's what everyone said this year.

turbostud
12-14-2002, 08:34 PM
Keith7,That's a bold prediction considering what happened to ya'll this year, especially after the L. J. Searcy quote. For those that don't know Gainseville running back L.J. Searcy said at the beginning of the season, "I hope that Celina is undefeated when they play us so when can end that little winning streak of there's". Will L.J. be back next year?

Keith7
12-14-2002, 08:50 PM
I think everyteam that played Celina this year was thinkin the same thing... but no LJ isnt comin back he was a senior.. but Terrius Purvey is coming back off a season where he had 627 yards as LJ's back up on only 42 carries, thats a 15 yard per carry average...

PPHSfan
12-14-2002, 10:03 PM
Keith,

While I am sure that Gainsville will be a big part of district 9 again next year, I think they will find themselvs fighting just as hard as Celina, Pilot Point, Pottsboro, and Van Alstyne for a top three spot and a playoff appearance.

Yes, Gainsville is the biggest school by far with 2 1/2 times the student base of Celina and Pilot Point...but both of these teams, along with Van Alstyne now have that "1st season as the new kid in town" medalion off of their chests.

As strong as Celina and Pilot Point finished this year, I think it will be an even tighter race for the top three between the top five teams in district.

Of course that is just my opinion...and I am usually wrong. :D

PPHSfan
12-14-2002, 10:05 PM
:p

Keith7
12-15-2002, 01:27 AM
PPHSfan:
Keith,

While I am sure that Gainsville will be a big part of district 9 again next year, I think they will find themselvs fighting just as hard as Celina, Pilot Point, Pottsboro, and Van Alstyne for a top three spot and a playoff appearance.
You forgot to mention Whitesboro.. haha.. anyways.. Pilot Point and Celina will also have great teams like you said, but I think Gainesville will have a great year, towards the end of the year the young offense began to step it up and will look to continue that on to next year, but we will have alot of young players have to step it up on the defensive side next year.. It could very well be a tight race for first.. but I'm gonna have to pick my team from gainesville..

p.s. do you keep up with Pilot Point Baseball? if so how do they look this year?

<small>[ December 15, 2002, 12:29 AM: Message edited by: Keith7 ]</small>

turbostud
12-15-2002, 10:05 AM
Hey, take it easy on Whitesboro. That's where my parents live although I went to S&S. Talk about a playoff drought. I think Whitesboro is up there around Midland High. Actually Whitesboro has not made the playoffs since 1936. Actually they have never made the playoffs in their history. That's horrible.

turbostud
12-15-2002, 10:13 AM
PPHSFAN, can ya'll let Whitesboro borrow G.A. Moore for a year so they can end their playoff drought?

PPHSfan
12-15-2002, 10:35 AM
turbostud:
PPHSFAN, can ya'll let Whitesboro borrow G.A. Moore for a year so they can end their playoff drought?I don't think we would be willing to "Loan" G.A. to anyone. But with that being said. I really think that Whitesboro is going to have to "invest" in a HC/AD and a stable of quality coaches before they will ever be able to compete in district 9. I by no means want to discredit the staff they have now, or the staffs they have had in the past, but to compete in this little neck of the woods at any level, you have got to step it up a bit.

PPHSfan
12-15-2002, 10:37 AM
I might also suggest..that Whitesboro's coaching staff do like hundreds of other highschool, college, and subvarsity coaches do every year, and attend one of the many Clinics that coach Moore puts on across the country.

Keith7
12-15-2002, 12:29 PM
Yea I like Whitesboro's coaches cuz they never seemed to give up, even when they were down 74-0, but they seemed like they were running the wrong kind of offense for the players they had, like they have good size and they had 2 big power backs, but they ran a spread offense.. They also had a freshman QB this year startin so maybe with him comin back they might see some improvement

turbostud
12-15-2002, 01:41 PM
I hope they can improve. My nephew is a 7th grader at Whitesboro so I would love to see him get to end the playoff drought. But District 9 is a tough district that any team can win. Pottsboro and VanAlstyne did not make the playoffs but I am sure they had good teams.