PDA

View Full Version : Is There a Recent Curse in Being No. 1 lately

Phil C
07-01-2004, 11:31 AM
in 3A football the last few years? Please correct me if my memory fails [over 50 you know :)]. In 2001 Forney had to have the burden of being No. 1 the whole year. Then they lost to Everman in the second round of the playoffs I think and t hen Everman was No. 1 but there were only three playoffs games left so they didn't have that burden and pressure during a whole season and first two playoff games like Forney. Then the next year Everman was No. 1 but they lost their first district game to Kennendale but turned the season around (even though they didn't win thier district) and without the burden of No. 1 most of the rest of the way they went on to win their second state championship (maybe the loss to Kennendale was a blessing in disguise in that case). Then last year I think Jasper or Everman were No. 1 most of the year and none of them made the state championship game. Gainsville without the burden and pressure of being No. 1 went on to win State. What are your thoughts? This is just something maybe to disguss till fall comes! Come Fall!

jason
07-01-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
in 3A football the last few years? Please correct me if my memory fails [over 50 you know :)]. In 2001 Forney had to have the burden of being No. 1 the whole year. Then they lost to Everman in the second round of the playoffs I think and t hen Everman was No. 1 but there were only three playoffs games left so they didn't have that burden and pressure during a whole season and first two playoff games like Forney. Then the next year Everman was No. 1 but they lost their first district game to Kennendale but turned the season around (even though they didn't win thier district) and without the burden of No. 1 most of the rest of the way they went on to win their second state championship (maybe the loss to Kennendale was a blessing in disguise in that case). Then last year I think Jasper or Everman were No. 1 most of the year and none of them made the state championship game. Gainsville without the burden and pressure of being No. 1 went on to win State. What are your thoughts? This is just something maybe to disguss till fall comes! Come Fall! all that being said, forney was no doubt the second best team all of those years...:D :D

3afan2K3
07-01-2004, 11:47 AM
The last 4 years the team that has beat Forney in the playoffs has won the State Championship

Phil C
07-01-2004, 11:48 AM
You are probably right there Jason. Not just in football in some of those years but maybe baseball. Being second best probably hurts to not ever win it all but most teams in the state would trade places with them quickly if they could.

Matthew328
07-01-2004, 11:51 AM
last year Burnet was #1 all year til the state title game

Phil C
07-01-2004, 11:57 AM
Thank you for the info Matt!! Keep me straight here. :)

JasperDog94
07-01-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Thank you for the info Matt!! Keep me straight here. :) We're trying...:p

olddawggreen
07-01-2004, 12:24 PM
Correct me if Im wrong, but last year I think it was Burnet, not Jasper or Everman that suffered the curse of No. 1. Burnet was ranked No. 1 most of the year and as we all know they fell to Gainsville in the final game. Personally I would rather not have the pressure of that No. 1 ranking till the season is over.:D

olddawggreen
07-01-2004, 12:25 PM
Sorry Matt, I missed your previous post.

Old Tiger
07-01-2004, 12:26 PM
It would be cool for some team that's not even ranked to come up and win the state champinoship....say Rockdale :D

Sans Couth
07-01-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
It would be cool for some team that's not even ranked to come up and win the state champinoship....say Rockdale :D

I think Bandera did it in D2 a couple of years ago. They came out of nowhere and won D2 in overtime. If my memory serves me correct, they barely made the playoffs.

Chris Hart
07-01-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Sans Couth
I think Bandera did it in D2 a couple of years ago. They came out of nowhere and won D2 in overtime. If my memory serves me correct, they barely made the playoffs. You are correct Sans, Bandera scored on a desperation play to beat Llano in week 10 to qualify for the playoffs. They then were a true Cinderella story.

Old Tiger
07-01-2004, 02:41 PM
I think Rockdale will go far in playoffs with the staff coach clark has put together.