Predicted Order of Finish:
1. Abilene Wylie
2. Snyder
3. Sweetwater
4. Clyde
5. Merkel

1. Abilene Wylie Bulldogs Starters Returning 2/3 Last Year: 9-5
Key Players: QB Case Keenum, OL Tyler Crump, TB Mike Kiger
Outlook: The Bulldogs started off slow but got hot late and advanced all the way to the semis before falling victim to Gainesville....Keenum had a great sophmore campaign accounting for close to 2500 yards and 24 TD's...the Bulldogs never return many starters but 35 lettermen back give WHS lots of options....

2. Snyder Tigers Starters Returning 4/5 Last Year: 8-5
Key Players: OL Ricky McNatt, WR Lico Castillo, DL D'Angelo Davis
Outlook: 2003 was a breakout year for the Tigers advancing all the way to the quarter-finals before losing 18-6 to Wylie....some good skill people have departed but SHS is solid on both lines led by 2 preseason all-state picks McNatt and Davis..

3. Sweetwater Mustangs Starters Returning 6/3 Last Year: 9-3
Key Players: QB/DB Jeremy Thompson, RB/DB Kendall Carrillo, LB Alan Copeland
Outlook: Sweetwater again made noise in the postseason (what else is new) before losing a heartbreaker to state semi-finalist Vernon 6-3...much of that great defense must be rebuilt and the offense did struggle at times last year...Thompson has speed to burn from the QB position...

4. Clyde Bulldogs Starters Returning 3/7 Last Year: 5-5
Key Players: LB Nick Chiappone, LB/TE Scott Wilkerson, WR Dillon James
Outlook: A late season swoon kept Clyde out of the playoffs despite the fact they beat district champ Abilene Wylie....pre-season all-state Chiappone had 13 sacks and he teams with Wilkerson to form an excellent pair of LB's....much of the offense is gone and that is a question mark...

5. Merkel Badgers Starters Returning 2/2 Last Year: 9-4
Key Players: QB Riley Lambert, DB Trevor Head, FB Zach Maxey
Outlook: Merkel made their first playoff trip in forever last year and they liked things so much they hung around all the way til Round 3 before falling to Kennedale 26-10....graduation will make things tough for the Badgers to repeat however....

lobo12
07-01-2004, 05:28 PM
is trevor head related to the twin brothers the heads

wildstangs
07-01-2004, 06:21 PM
I think his name is Trevor Hood actually. Superintendents son. I agree that Wylie should win the district, but I think Sweetwater will beat Snyder out, and Merkel will finish higher than 5th.

Buffalo
07-01-2004, 11:07 PM
wildstangs i disagree. Snyder returns 3 off linemen 1 rec and a FB. Not to mention a Qb that led the team in the playoff game against Wylie. A JV that went 9-1 and played everyone in the new District except Clyde. JV averaged 49 pts to opp. 7. Because of the high numbers of lettermen a lot will be on the JV next year. Defense could be better. There are 3 brothers that moved in from Colorado 1 was All state runs 4.4 they could help. It will be a good game this year in the Bowl. Wylie Snyder back to Back

VWG
07-01-2004, 11:08 PM
This district is tough as nails. I like Sweetwater to finish second to Wylie though. I think they'll have some underclassmen that will surprise some people in West Texas.

Buffalo
07-01-2004, 11:15 PM
They will be soph. I agree they are going to be good and I did not say they would not finish second we just do not agree on who will finish 1st. Sweetwater does play Wylie 1st Dist ball game and then Snyder. That will be tough regardless of who you are

vet93
07-02-2004, 03:15 PM
I can't disagree with your picks Matt...but I think that many people are overlooking Sweetwater this year. I think that this will be a very close district between the top 3. It is going to depend on who can maintain consistency through district play. Any team of Matt's top 3 could win it all.

D. R. Hooks
07-02-2004, 05:29 PM
Does Merkel still have those beautiful solid helmets painted in school bus yellow?

oh well
07-02-2004, 06:27 PM
They are purple now

Buffalo
07-03-2004, 05:13 PM
The team that wins it all could go along ways in the playoffs. Is Clydes enrol. bigger then snyders

lobo12
07-03-2004, 06:06 PM
wylie's is so i think that they will go d1 while snyder and sweetwater go small school

Buffalo
07-03-2004, 07:09 PM
That will probally mean a lobo tiger match up unless both teams are the # 1 seed. right

lobo12
07-03-2004, 11:14 PM
or unless monahans goes d1 and would then play wylie, but thats only if seminole is the 3rd team, if pecos or lamesa makes it then it depends in what place monahans finishes and what place snyder finishes

Buffalo
07-04-2004, 11:45 AM
it will be interesting regarless

lobo12
07-04-2004, 12:15 PM
my first round picks are monahans vs wylie, seminole vs sweetwater, and greenwood vs snyder

Buffalo
07-04-2004, 12:38 PM
switch snyde sweetwater & I agree

MHSvarsity2007
08-28-2004, 02:20 PM
why does everybody think that wylie is so good? i mean yea they have a good team but every once in a while merkel beats them. in case anybody is wondering, merkel tried to schedule a game against merkel last year when we were so hot and guess what? they turned it down. afraid to lose maybe??? everybody is also underestimating clyde. i mean yea clyde isn't the biggest football team i've seen but you don't have to be huge to win a football game. sweetwater and snyder i haven't heard much about but i know that snyder beat the dogs out of levelland and sweetwater lost only by 3 or 4 points against lubbock cooper. so really i'm thinking that whoever wants the title the most is going to get it.
4-3A Predicted Standings (according to Kickoff 2004):
1. Abilene Wylie (who knew...)
2. Sweetwater
3. Snyder
4. Merkel
5. Clyde (come on give them some credit)

Anyways my opinions...take them or leave them...

wildstangs
08-28-2004, 05:14 PM
When is the last time Merkel beat Wylie?

Stangster
08-28-2004, 10:06 PM
It will be an exciting year in 4-3A

MHSvarsity2007
08-28-2004, 10:46 PM
merkel and wylie have always had the win one time loose one time...kinda like texas and texas tech....even if wylie beats everybody else there is always the chance that merkel could win just like wylie against any other team. wylie isn't unbeatable.

Buffalo
08-28-2004, 10:58 PM
This could be a interesting District what is the order that they play each ohter. I know Wylie plays sweetwater then I am not sure Clyde opens with Snyder, So Merkel must be open the firstr week

MHSvarsity2007
08-29-2004, 05:30 PM
Merkel has their open on October 8 and then the first game is agasinst Wylie, then Snyder, then Clyde, and finally Sweetwater. I think that Merkel can definetly pull it off.

Stangster
08-31-2004, 11:35 PM
I think Merkel will end up in the bottom half, regardless.
just my onion

TheDOCTORdre
08-31-2004, 11:42 PM
hard district race to call I'll be rootin for my hometown Stangs but I know they gotta work. IMO I think there could very well be 3 teams tied for 1st w/ 3-1 disrict records at the end of the season

Black_Magic
09-01-2004, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
hard district race to call I'll be rootin for my hometown Stangs but I know they gotta work. IMO I think there could very well be 3 teams tied for 1st w/ 3-1 disrict records at the end of the season
If sweetwater dumps the pre-district games they have the season could be very long. I can see them being below .500. If that happens you could have ANOTHER changing of the guard. I dont see sweetwater people being very understanding that this will not be a year like last year. They lost alot of horses last year. and the ones that replaced them are just not the same breed.

BigAbe79
09-01-2004, 11:01 AM
Clyde has a good defense. I think if they straighten up their offense they will be good competitors in district.

stangcenter60
09-01-2004, 09:52 PM
black magic i dont have a clue how we r gonna do this year and im not gonna make any predictions but all the guys that filled the spots of last years senoirs r definately of the same breed....they may not have the same qualities but they love the game and they love bein a Mustang and thats all that matters.....ya winning is important but i couldnt think of any place better to play personally cuz every single person on this team has an incredible amount of passion.....we may not be the best team ever but we r a group of guys that loves football to death and we will definately have a ton of fun playin this year regardless of how we do.....a saying that we use a lot is, "tradition never graduates" and if sweetwater has anything in the world its tradition....not because of our talent, or lack there of, but because every team that comes through here loves the game and dedicates so much to it...every team is different every year but if u r a mustang, u r deffinately from the same breed....anything less than an incredible love for the game is unacceptable here...in sweetwater its not about who has the most talent.....its who loves the game the most.....if u wanna define breed by talent, well i couldnt help u there cuz the oly breed i know of is the kind that loves the game.....and the mustangs are one breed and one heartbeat.....we all march together and we always will...it may sound corny but thats how we live in sweetwater.....its die hard baby......sorry for the length......

Adidas410s
09-01-2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by MHSvarsity2007
merkel and wylie have always had the win one time loose one time...kinda like texas and texas tech....even if wylie beats everybody else there is always the chance that merkel could win just like wylie against any other team. wylie isn't unbeatable.

Win one, lose one??? When was the last time you beat Wylie again? I know it hasn't happened in the 10 years that I have been part of the "Wylie community" and dont know of any time in recent memory before that. Now Clyde...oh well they beat Wylie once every 10 years so based on your theory that have a better shot at Wylie than Merkel does.

As to your comment that Merkel tried to schedule Wylie last year but Wylie wouldnt play them...thats just flat out untrue. If you knew anything at all then you would know that when coaches schedule games they make 2 year contracts until the next reallignment and that Wylie couldnt just drop another game to pick up Merkel after already being 1 year into their contract with Graham, Aledo, Lakeview, Sweetwater, and Snyder. I know that information travels slow in Merkel and that intelligence isn't always readily available...but PLEASE try and get your information straight instead of blabing on about the latest Merkel excuse/whine/rumor about why Wylie is either 1) not that good or 2) should be in 4A...

Alright back to studying for Issues in Micro!!!:thinking:

MHSvarsity2007
09-01-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Win one, lose one??? When was the last time you beat Wylie again? I know it hasn't happened in the 10 years that I have been part of the "Wylie community" and dont know of any time in recent memory before that. Now Clyde...oh well they beat Wylie once every 10 years so based on your theory that have a better shot at Wylie than Merkel does.

I know that information travels slow in Merkel and that intelligence isn't always readily available...but PLEASE try and get your information straight instead of blabing on about the latest Merkel excuse/whine/rumor about why Wylie is either 1) not that good or 2) should be in 4A...

I regret to inform you that Merkel isn't as "slow" as all the wylie people think. Merkel has beaten Wylie before and it has been less than 10 years. I'm from Merkel and yea i go to every football game so i should know. i know that all the wylie people think that we are white trash trailer parkers but if YOU knew anything, it's not anything like that....YOU get YOUR facts straight about MERKEL.

stangcenter60
09-01-2004, 10:46 PM
you guys are too tense.......

Ranger Mom
09-01-2004, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by stangcenter60
black magic i dont have a clue how we r gonna do this year and im not gonna make any predictions but all the guys that filled the spots of last years senoirs r definately of the same breed....they may not have the same qualities but they love the game and they love bein a Mustang and thats all that matters.....ya winning is important but i couldnt think of any place better to play personally cuz every single person on this team has an incredible amount of passion.....we may not be the best team ever but we r a group of guys that loves football to death and we will definately have a ton of fun playin this year regardless of how we do.....a saying that we use a lot is, "tradition never graduates" and if sweetwater has anything in the world its tradition....not because of our talent, or lack there of, but because every team that comes through here loves the game and dedicates so much to it...every team is different every year but if u r a mustang, u r deffinately from the same breed....anything less than an incredible love for the game is unacceptable here...in sweetwater its not about who has the most talent.....its who loves the game the most.....if u wanna define breed by talent, well i couldnt help u there cuz the oly breed i know of is the kind that loves the game.....and the mustangs are one breed and one heartbeat.....we all march together and we always will...it may sound corny but thats how we live in sweetwater.....its die hard baby......sorry for the length......

:clap: :clap: That was beautiful...just bout brought a tear to my eye!:clap: :clap:

Black_Magic
09-02-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by stangcenter60

That satement reminds me of the Movie THE ROCK. You know the part where Sean Connery said " Loosers talk about doing thier best. Winners go home with the prom queen " not exactly the quote but it will do:devil:

Adidas410s
09-02-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by MHSvarsity2007
I regret to inform you that Merkel isn't as "slow" as all the wylie people think. Merkel has beaten Wylie before and it has been less than 10 years. I'm from Merkel and yea i go to every football game so i should know. i know that all the wylie people think that we are white trash trailer parkers but if YOU knew anything, it's not anything like that....YOU get YOUR facts straight about MERKEL.

Hey now bud dont stress out. I was just giving you a hard time. I work with people from Merkel and have many long time friends from there so I know its not like that. Its called fun and games so learn how to handle it.
As far as Merkel beating Wylie in the last 10 years, please feel free to let me know when because I would LOVE to hear about this game that NEVER happeend. If you can prove otherwise with a specific year and score and some other relevant info about the game then I will apologize and believe you but just saying "yeah we beat Wylie one year" doesnt tell me anything. Please feel free to elighten me though...

pero chato
09-02-2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Hey now bud dont stress out. I was just giving you a hard time. I work with people from Merkel and have many long time friends from there so I know its not like that. Its called fun and games so learn how to handle it.
As far as Merkel beating Wylie in the last 10 years, please feel free to let me know when because I would LOVE to hear about this game that NEVER happeend. If you can prove otherwise with a specific year and score and some other relevant info about the game then I will apologize and believe you but just saying "yeah we beat Wylie one year" doesnt tell me anything. Please feel free to elighten me though...

I can go back at least 15 years and not find a varsity football win for Merkel over Wylie. There's been lots of basketball victories, a few baseball and some subvarsity wins for Merkel, though, and of course one in particular overtime varsity football win for Wylie that indeed Merkel could have won (I think 1997.) This district is extremely tough this year, and it's too early to tell who the outright winner will be. Snyder sure lit up the scoreboard last week, Sweetwater has beaten Wylie the past two years, Clyde beat Wylie last year, and of course Merkel is much improved from years past and would love to continue the playoff ride. It's a shame only three will go because all five are quality programs.

BigAbe79
09-02-2004, 11:25 AM
Adidas, did we beat yall last year or not. It doesnt matter what happened the last 10 years. What matters is the last time we played, and we won. Quit bringing up old stuff and you can brag all you want when yall beat us. Until game 10 dont be sayin nothing.

pero chato
09-02-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by BigAbe79
Adidas, did we beat yall last year or not. It doesnt matter what happened the last 10 years. What matters is the last time we played, and we won. Quit bringing up old stuff and you can brag all you want when yall beat us. Until game 10 dont be sayin nothing.

Yo BigAbe79, the discussion here is when was the last time Merkel beat Wylie. The claim from MHSvarsity2007 is that it was within the last 10 years. Adidas didn't start the topic, but is challenging MHS to provide some facts. He's not bringing up old stuff and is not bragging. I continue to give props to Clyde for beating Wylie last year and offer no excuses other than Clyde was the better team that night.

Olddawgfan
09-02-2004, 02:40 PM
Hey Abe, Last year is old stuff too, but since you mentioned it.....how did you do in the playoffs last year?

Johnny Moxen
09-02-2004, 05:06 PM
Well I know that everyone hates Wylie, but I have attached my picks in order below. No offense to Merkel or Clyde, I just don't think either team can contend with the top 3. Might can knock off 1 or 2 of the teams, but just can't hang with all three.

1. Wylie
2. Snyder
3. Sweetwater
4. Merkel
5. Clyde

BigAbe79
09-02-2004, 05:34 PM
Last year is old stuff, but it is the last time we played yall. And he did say something about the last 10 years. I wasnt saying anything bad about wylie, i said the last time we played yall we won. So as of right now we have the braggin rights. If yall beat us this year it will be the same for you.