1. Monahans
2. Midland Greenwood
3. Seminole
4. Lamesa
5. Pecos
6. Fort Stockton

1. Monahans Loboes Starters Returning 5/3 Last Year: 6-4
Key Players: QB Kevin Kenyon, WR Tyson Carter, DE JW Burnett
Outlook: Monahans surprised everyone by knocking off heavy favorite Greenwood to win the district after a rough start to 2003..look for the Loboes to once again be solid as Kenyon is back again after a great junior campaign....last year MHS's D was one of the better ones against the run again as they allowed less than 100 yards per game....

2. Midland Greenwood Rangers Starters Returning 2/5 Last Year: 7-3
Key Players: LB Blake Higgins, DB Jarrel Brooks, RB Justin Sebree
Outlook: Last Year was a disappointment for the Rangers as they didn't handle being the hunted too well...after a 15-1 2002 they fell to 7-3 despite having numerous key players back...this season's edition will be young and inexperienced...Higgins missed all of 2003 and would have helped out big time..Brooks averaged 14 tackles per game in 2003...

3. Seminole Indians Starters Returning 4/4 Last Year: 4-6
Key Players: SS Phillip Suarez, RB Jeremy Hill, LB Steven Suarez
Outlook: The Indians finished 2-3 in a tough district last year....however they move west in what could be a bit freindlier district...Seminole played favorite Monahans last year early and rolled to a 47-16 win....Suarez had 121 tackles last year..only 11 letterman return from last year however....

4. Lamesa Golden Tornadoes Starters Returning 9/6 Last Year: 2-8
Key Players: TB Joseph Hill, QB Bryan Brown, FS Jeremiah Guerra
Outlook: 2002 and 2003 were nightmares for a Lamesa program used to winning...in 2000 they were a top 5 program all year...but a stunning loss to Perryton in the 2001 playoffs really set things in a downward spiral..however for the first time in a few years Coach Branson has some weapons in his war chest....Hill leads an offense that averaged less than 5 points per game and was shut out 5 times in 2003...however Lamesa did beat Monahans last year well stunning the Loboes 7-0 in Week 5...

5. Pecos Eagles Starters Returning 5/5 Last Year: 2-7
Key Players: RB Booker Fobbs, WR/RB Rashad Terry, DE Chad Evans
Outlook: Pecos has been disappointing in 2 years at the 3A level missing the playoffs both years after making the playoffs in their final season at the 4A level....PHS does have speed to burn in Terry....Fobbs also can motor at 215 lbs....the defense must improve against the run for Pecos to earn a playoff spot...

6. Ft Stockton Panthers Starters Returning: 6/6 Last Year: 4-6
Key Players: QB Wayne Jefferson, DE Matt Garvin, DE Cade Ezell
Outlook: Jefferson did it all for Ft Stockton combining for over 3000 yards.....if he gets some help Ft Stockton will be dangerous..however the offense doesn't look like it has anymore play makers..the D should be solid on the perimeter with Garvin and Ezell..

Ranger Mom
06-30-2004, 08:56 PM
As far as Greenwood goes...I am clueless. The RB, Justin Sebree, will be MY player to watch. He and my son have been very good friends for a very long time and he is like a second (actually, I guess it would be 5th) son to me!!

:D

lobo12
06-30-2004, 09:58 PM
good overview of monahans, the defense will be losing two great linebackers, defensive backs, a defensive tackle and end. if younger players can step up at lb the d should be ok. i agree with the top two spots but the 3rd place i am questionable. i think seminole will take 3rd place but if pecos decides to play next year and booker and terry run well watch out for the eagles

lobo12
06-30-2004, 09:59 PM
just wondering matthew, how did you find out about all the players from the schools and who to watch, did you use campbells to help you or what?

sinton66
07-01-2004, 06:52 AM
Matthew expends a lot of energy collecting data from all over. He uses DC when it comes out, but normally just as a cross-check on the info he already has. I think you will find Matthew is much more accurate.

Matthew328
07-01-2004, 10:05 AM
I do use Dave's..but like sinton66 says basically I use Dave's just to double check things and add a few nuggets here and there...but I usually start researching in April...

Wtx_coach
07-01-2004, 01:11 PM
Hey Matt you did a great job of othe overview, well I think the district will be interesting, Im like Lobo12 if Terry and Fobbs can be productive and run the ball well , I think Pecos will have a shot at 3rd place, if not it might be a long season for the eagels, I really think Monahans will be the team to beat this year and for about 3 more years after that, I hear they have tons of talent in the lower levels!

lobo12
07-01-2004, 05:23 PM
we do have a good underclass teams, the guys that are going to be sophomores this year havent ever lost a game since the seventh grade but like i said varsity is a lot different

westTXbest
07-03-2004, 11:33 AM
Man where do u get your numbers from Greenwood has more than 2 coming back on offense, they have everyone but 1 ol ,Te, rb and qb.

lobo12
07-03-2004, 12:19 PM
what about the receivers, brooks and zachary

westTXbest
07-03-2004, 12:24 PM
they really didnt have any startin recievers, they rotated like 5 or 6 and they only lost 2 of those. On offense they r really just getiing a new qb and rb.

westTXbest
07-03-2004, 12:25 PM
but the d fense is another question nly like 4 or 5 coming back bunch of new faces and unexperieced players this year.

Ranger Mom
07-03-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by westTXbest
they really didnt have any startin recievers, they rotated like 5 or 6 and they only lost 2 of those. On offense they r really just getiing a new qb and rb.

What is your opinion of the RB this year? If he can keep his head in the game, I think he will be fine!

westTXbest
07-03-2004, 12:30 PM
I think he is going to be very good. He is really fast and sees the field good.

Ranger Mom
07-03-2004, 12:36 PM
I know you told me this before, but what position does J.P. play?

westTXbest
07-03-2004, 12:46 PM
Strong Safety he and J.b are the safeties this year i think that is a very good pair of safties.

Ranger Mom
07-03-2004, 01:59 PM
Strong Safety he and J.b are the safeties this year i think that is a very good pair of safties.

I agree! After last years dissapointing end to the season, I am FINALLY catching the football fever again!

westTXbest
07-03-2004, 07:48 PM
anybodys opinion on the out come of this district. It is going to come down to when Monohans comes to Greenwood this year.

wildstangs
07-03-2004, 08:06 PM
Who has a bigger enrollment...Monahans or Seminole?

westTXbest
07-03-2004, 09:57 PM
Monohans probably by 200.

lobo12
07-03-2004, 11:11 PM
monahans has a bigger enrollment, it just depends on how greenwoods underclassmen play, we only have to replace a center,rb, and receiver on offense, but we have some big holes to fill on defense especially at FREE SAFETY lol

wildstangs
07-03-2004, 11:12 PM
So based on Matts predictions we would have Monahans vs. Wylie, Snyder vs. Seminole, and Sweetwater vs. Greenwood in round one.

lobo12
07-03-2004, 11:16 PM
looks right to me

westTXbest
07-04-2004, 01:22 AM
oh gosh i would hate to see greenwood and sweetater meet in round one thats to early, for a heart breaker.

westTXbest
07-04-2004, 01:24 AM
thats based on his predictions, i think sweetwater and greenwood will win there districts. I dont know what that would do to the first round pairings.

wildstangs
07-04-2004, 10:56 AM
If Greenwood and Sweetwater both won their districts...the pairing would be: Monahans VS. Wylie, Sweetwater VS. Seminole, and Snyder VS. Greenwood. Not even the regular season and we are making playoffs picks.

Buffalo
07-04-2004, 11:42 AM
i agree wildstang. this is early. ieven gree with you pairing just not you picks on the Dist. winners

lobo12
07-04-2004, 12:08 PM
im with buffalo

wildstangs
07-04-2004, 12:33 PM
What are your picks Buffalo? I know you have prolly already said, but I forgot. Is it 1. Wylie 2. Snyder 3. Sweetwater?

Buffalo
07-04-2004, 12:36 PM
Snyder, Sweewater Wylie

wildstangs
07-04-2004, 01:17 PM
How about if Wylie beats Snyder, Sweetwater beats Wylie, and Snyder beats Sweetwater. Assuming all the teams beat Merkel and Clyde, that would make the big three 4-1. That would make for a interesting scenario. Wylie has had Snyders number the last few years, Sweetwater has beaten Wylie a couple of years in a row, and Snyder always seems to beat Sweetwater. It could happen.

Buffalo
07-04-2004, 01:24 PM
That could happen then you would go to points for seeding Sweetwater & Snyder Wylie would go big school regardless. They would all share the District title

wildstangs
07-04-2004, 01:27 PM
Wouldnt Snyder automatically be the number one seed in D2 with a head to head win over Sweetwater?

VWG
07-04-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Buffalo
Snyder, Sweewater Wylie

Wylie in third place? When was the last time that happened... Sorry, but I don't see any way a Sandifer lead team will finish third.

lobo12
07-04-2004, 02:36 PM
i agree i think wylie will win district

Buffalo
07-04-2004, 04:00 PM
It does not matter where Wylie finishes they will be big school if they are in the top 3. Not saying the wont be. Then you go to points if there is a 3 way tie and that is what we are talking about. You go to points as for the placement of the other 2 schools in Div. 2 playoffs.

D. R. Hooks
07-05-2004, 09:57 AM
When was the last time that Wylie did not make the playoffs?

vet93
07-05-2004, 01:31 PM
I think that it was 1993. At least that is what Collier/sharp is saying. Interestingly....Wylie doesn't hardly have a playoff history except when coach Sandifer is coaching. He IS Wylie football.

Originally posted by D. R. Hooks
When was the last time that Wylie did not make the playoffs?

VWG
07-05-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by vet93
I think that it was 1993. At least that is what Collier/sharp is saying. Interestingly....Wylie doesn't hardly have a playoff history except when coach Sandifer is coaching. He IS Wylie football.

True. I think Sandifer took over in 1982 or 1983?
Wylie has too many good athletes not to make the playoffs in the current system. Now, if Wylie ever moves up to 4A, and Abilene Cooper moved down to 4A. What kind of tough district would that be with maybe Brownwood, Wylie, Cooper, etc....

Buffalo
07-05-2004, 05:16 PM
VWG WOW that would be tough

lobo12
07-05-2004, 09:45 PM
anybody have any predictions on how district 3-3a will finish

wildstangs
07-05-2004, 09:47 PM
1. Monahans 2. Greenwood 3. Seminole

lobo12
07-05-2004, 09:50 PM
wildstangs, sweetwater was in the same district as seminole last year do they have anyone coming back besides the rb Hill and the wr Clay

wildstangs
07-05-2004, 10:30 PM
I am not sure what they have coming back. They have looked decent the last two years though. Too bad they were in a very tough district.

westTXbest
07-06-2004, 12:31 AM
Dang Wildstangs whats up with the predictions, monohans won in a fluke gam and now ya'll people think they can win district? That crazy!

oh well
07-06-2004, 06:54 AM
The Monahans Greenwood game will be exciting where is it this year? Is it in Monahans again? Greenwood is tough anywhere but real tough in front of there home crowd

DirtRoad
07-06-2004, 07:38 AM
3000 YDS.???? I KNOW HE MISSED 2 GAMES DUE TO INJURIES AND AGAINST US HE ONLY HAD 155 YDS. RUSHING & PASSING TOTAL.
HE MUST OF KICK BUTT IN THE OTHER 7 GAMES OR MATTHEW BETTER DOUBLE SOURCES, AND NAME THE 4 TEAMS THEY BEAT,
NOT SURE 4-6 IS CORRECT.

ALSO OUR SCOUTING REPORT SHOWS THEY STARTED 9 UNDERCLASSMEN LAST YEAR. AND THERE JV AND FRESHMAN TEAM PUT IT ON US PRETTY BAD, 8TH ALSO RAN THRU US AT WILL.

BUT IT DON'T MAKE NO DIFFERENCE, THEY MIGHT WIN A DISTRICT GAME..MAYBE.

MONAHANS GOT THE GUNS BACK, BUT PECOS GOT SOME ATHLETES. IS SEMINOLE GOING TO TURN IT AROUND SO QUICK. AND GREENWOOD WILL BE GREENWOOD, LOTS OF TRADITION..... THEY DID LOSE 2 STUDS THOUGH!!

lobo12
07-06-2004, 04:52 PM
wst tx best why do you think it was a fluke game, we have more starters returning and yall lost all of yalls studs, it was supposed to be crazy if we won district last year so what are you gonna call it if we win this year. it was not a fluke game

lobo12
07-06-2004, 05:19 PM
i think that its in greenwood

Ranger Mom
07-06-2004, 05:31 PM
I can't say it was a "fluke" game, we didn't play up to our potential that night and ended up getting beat by a point. That's the way the ball bounces!!

Anyway, the game IS in Greenwood this year...the last game of the season I believe.

It's not fair to say we lost ALL of our studs this year. We have some pretty solid players returning and some moving up from last season's JV who will hopefully make some noise!

lobo12
07-06-2004, 05:33 PM
true ranger mom i didnt mean all but yall lost a very talented senior class if i am not mistaken. and we had some bad bounces as well but it was a great game and yall will field a good team next year the last week should be interesting

wildstangs
07-06-2004, 07:06 PM
No offense to Greenwood fans, just think that Monahans is returning the better team. Greenwood was loaded last year and had a very dissapointing season after the Andrews loss. They will be good, but I give the early nod to Monahans. Like Vet93 says, Greenwood will have a great season when you least expect it. I reserve the right to change my mind midway through the season though :)

oh well
07-06-2004, 07:55 PM
Seminole will be in the mix of things. They played good football last year and finished 4th. In the toughest 3A Dist in West Texas. So it will not be a turn around they beat Monahans by 40 I know it was early in the season but it was still a V. Greenwood does have a good JV with several young athletes coming. They have an outstanding midle backer maybe the best in the area. He is not getting a lot of press because he was hurt last season. The Hill kid from Seminole could be the best athlete in the District. As for monahans good skill kids returning. Coming off of 2 good seasons young kids are very talented if they get some Momentum could be another good year. The Monahans Greenwood game could be for the Dist Championship but I predict a 3 way tie for the Dist Championship

Ranger Mom
07-06-2004, 11:19 PM
It should be an interesting season for sure.

I know what we have coming back, but on the other hand, I also know what we DON'T have coming back.

I have no predictions, as far as Greenwood goes. I am as about as clueless as one can be!

I'm clueless, but I am oh so ready!!:p

westTXbest
07-07-2004, 11:11 PM
hey ya'll lets keep this on the 1 st page everyday and let them know how much we like west texas football. Keep posting.

lobo12
07-08-2004, 04:36 PM
good idea

Da Mules
07-08-2004, 09:41 PM
I'm all for talking up W Tx and Region 1. At least you folks down in 3-3a & 4-3A have several posters on the board. We don't have many reps from the Panhandle. Fridaynightheadbangers.com gets active in mid-August, but it's got alot of juvenile punks posting there, and they have had problems keeping it above the 12-year old level. Talk Amarillo is just mostly trash talk, but you can pick out useful tidbits and interesting threads.

Ranger Mom
07-08-2004, 09:45 PM
Hey Da Mules...

Have you been to FridayNightHeadbangers recently??

It is now a registration only site....the trash talk is virtually non-existant now......as is the talk on that board as of now!!

Da Mules
07-09-2004, 12:28 PM
No I haven't checked it for the last month or so, RangerMom... come to think of it, haven't checked it since last football season. If they got rid of the juveniles, that's great. I'm amused by the kid's trash talk, but NOT by the filthy mouths:mad: Maybe we can steer some of the Panhandle 3A posters to this website, sans the ones who need their mouths cleaned out with soap!! Guess that shows you how old I am.:D

lobo12
07-10-2004, 12:37 PM
does anyone know seminole or lamesa's pre district schedules

westTXbest
07-11-2004, 01:36 PM
I think he is going to be very good. He is really fast and sees the field good. But greenwoods D is going to be outstanding cause with brooks,higgins,himbury coming back and new faces coming like my little brother he suffured a knee injury and they put him on jv but yall all know he didnt need to be on there and plus him and sebree on jv got them a winning season but my little brother will be starting at strong saftey this year so watch out for him cause he is quick his 40 time was a 4.6 and 6'ft 170 so yall watch out for greenwoods d i dont think anyone will get that much yards on them this year

lobo12
07-11-2004, 01:39 PM
is it gonna be as good as it was 2 yrs ago with hopper and frazier? the d is prolly going to have to step it up because although they will be good on offense i dont think they will be putting up near the numbers they have the past 2 yrs

westTXbest
07-11-2004, 01:46 PM
But greenwoods D is going to be outstanding cause with brooks,higgins,himbury coming back and new faces coming like my little brother he suffured a knee injury and they put him on jv but yall all know he didnt need to be on there and plus him and sebree on jv got them a winning season but my little brother will be starting at strong saftey this year so watch out for him cause he is quick his 40 time was a 4.6 and 6'ft 170 so yall watch out for greenwoods d i dont think anyone will get that much yards on them this year i think about the same

lobo12
07-11-2004, 09:44 PM
i myself have a hard time believing that it will be the same. is ur brother gonna be a junior or senior

westTXbest
07-11-2004, 10:13 PM
Sr.

oh well
07-12-2004, 08:35 AM
Greenwood does play hard nose defense.

westTXbest
07-12-2004, 12:37 PM
i brother told me that they play hard defense and can hit to and everyone knows about greenwood hitting hard

Buffalo
07-12-2004, 09:53 PM
That is what won them a lot of games 2 years ago. That is what they are know for

westTXbest
07-12-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Buffalo
That is what won them a lot of games 2 years ago. That is what they are know for and there defense is going to when them alot of games this year

oh well
07-13-2004, 11:25 AM
Their Defense was outstanding 2 years ago the best I have seen in 3A. They did a great job of subing in players and getting the most of them. #8 was as good as it gets as a middle LB and #32 could flat play in the secondary played with a old school LB mentality. Hope they have not found replacements for them or it could be a long season for anyone who plays them.

Wtx_coach
07-13-2004, 12:40 PM
Look guys, Geenwood will be tuff this year, im not saying that they are going to win the district, but coach Purser will have those boys ready to play I can guarantee you that, if they lose some games its will not be a lack of coaching or preparation, those boys will be ready to play, I personally still htink Monahans will win the district.

oh well
07-13-2004, 01:52 PM
Greenwoods defense is a great scheme. They do not care if you pass or run they are going to get to you in a hurry. THey will be ready for Monahans passing attack this year. If I was a betting person I would bet you on that one WTX coach. Coach P is one of the best at getting his young men to play i agree

lobo12
07-13-2004, 05:34 PM
greenwood will have a good team but i still dont see them finding a good enough replacement for #8 and 32. Frazier and Ogden were good too i dont know what number they were

westTXbest
07-13-2004, 09:46 PM
lobo 12 i will bet u that monahans passing game wont work on greenwood

lobo12
07-13-2004, 09:56 PM
bet what and what about their running game

Knightmoon
07-14-2004, 06:11 PM
Way too early to make any grand predictions, but here are a couple to start with. I expect Monahans to have a really solid team this year. They had a young team last year and should have alot of returning players. They were a solid team last year. My last prediction, don't count Merkel out just yet. They did lose alot of starters, and are in a really tough district with Wylie, Sweetwater, Snyder, and Clyde...but they do have some really good athletes coming up the ranks and their QB--Riley Lambert is the real deal. I think Merkel's new head coach will have their defense ready to play. Merkel has a solid running back with Zach Maxey. Riley was the MVP of the District last year and Maxey, although he didn't start, was voted Best Newcomer of the Year". Merkel will beat one of the BIG 3 in that district. Mark my words.

wildstangs
07-14-2004, 06:49 PM
I have been suggesting that Merkel will upset one of the big three for awhile. It is definetly going to be an interesting district race.

Black_Magic
07-26-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
I have been suggesting that Merkel will upset one of the big three for awhile. It is definetly going to be an interesting district race. I believe that Merkel WILL make the playoffs.. I think Sweetwater will be staying home. they are going to be weaker than they let people know

wildstangs
07-26-2004, 02:35 PM
You might be right Magic. Sweetwater could be setting at home during the playoffs. So could Snyder. You never know!

Nice signature by the way.

heck
07-26-2004, 04:47 PM
I think Sweetwater will make the playoffs. Wylie and Snyder will be good alright but Merkel will be a lot weaker and I don't think Clyder is ready.

About Sweetwater. They will have a better offense and a much weaker defense. But, a weaker defense when compared to last year's might still be good enough to make a decent playoff run.

Snyder will likely have discipline problems like last year. They could come on strong or self-destruct. I like their toughness but like Wells did last year, one hard hit and he shut it down fast.

Wylie will be good. Unlike Sweetwater they are keep you guessing offensively and with their proximity to Abilene schools, they seem to always reloade. I still like them to win it all but it could be a three-way tie...

Wylie
Sweetwater
Snyder....

best guess...

oh well
07-27-2004, 12:37 PM
Predictions are one mans opinions and have no merit until they come true. Nothing wrong with opinions that is what keeps people coming back to this forum. Everyone has an opinion some just have a better chance to be proven wrong then others. I am a humble poster heck