PDA

View Full Version : WOS vs. Jasper

duckbutter
06-28-2004, 08:51 AM
What week is this battle taking place? Hoping it will be O week so that I can attend.

Cat22
06-28-2004, 08:52 AM
It is week 0. I think the game is being played at WO-S.

WOS92
06-28-2004, 08:57 AM
Week 0 at WO-S indeed.

D. R. Hooks
06-28-2004, 09:19 AM
Does Russell Turkel have any ellegilibility left? The 3-0 game in '87 was one of my favorite of the series.

GUNHO
06-28-2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by D. R. Hooks
Does Russell Turkel have any ellegilibility left? The 3-0 game in '87 was one of my favorite of the series.

That was a classic.

GS#17
06-29-2004, 06:32 PM
That was my favorite one, also (perhaps for different reasons, though). :cool:

I remember how much hype that game received and how much emotion was in that stadium that night. It was a great atmosphere, and the game definitely lived up to its billing. I was certainly glad to be a part of it. :)

Gobbla2001
06-29-2004, 06:34 PM
Week 0 comes down to good teams and rich traditions, I'll say 'Stangs in a close one...

j_dog
06-29-2004, 06:40 PM
Didn't like it at all!!!! :(

Bulldog92
06-29-2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by j_dog
Didn't like it at all!!!! :(
Me neither, but that was a great defensive battle between #1 and #2 in 4A at the time. I would be surprised if there was more than 50 yards total offense combined between the two teams that night. I don't think both teams have been ranked as highly at the same time since. Week 0 is gonna be awesome, but why was it moved from the Dome to WO-S?

D. R. Hooks
06-29-2004, 07:41 PM
That 3-0 game was about 20 years ago, but I'm surprised how much I remember about that game. The Jasper kicker was named Terrance Watts, and I remember him trying something like a 50 yard FG in that game. Part of the scoreboard didn't work either, and we had to find the down marker on the field to know what down it was. It was Kevin Smith, later of Texas A&M and the Dallas Cowboys who pulled down a hail mary type pass and raced to the 9 yard line to set up the winning FG with one minute left.

WOS1
06-29-2004, 08:16 PM
That 3-0 game was about 20 years ago, but I'm surprised how much I remember about that game. The Jasper kicker was named Terrance Watts, and I remember him trying something like a 50 yard FG in that game. Part of the scoreboard didn't work either, and we had to find the down marker on the field to know what down it was. It was Kevin Smith, later of Texas A&M and the Dallas Cowboys who pulled down a hail mary type pass and raced to the 9 yard line to set up the winning FG with one minute left.

That game still fires me up, it was true slobber-knocker.

D. R. Hooks
06-29-2004, 08:29 PM
The '87 game was probably the biggest game in the state that Friday. Does anyone remember the rankings? I think WOS could have been #1 and Jasper #3.

GS#17
06-29-2004, 10:31 PM
I'm pretty sure you're right. WOS was definitely #1, I'm fairly certain West Columbia was #2, and Jasper was #3.

It featured two of the best defenses in the state and two very powerful offenses. Whenever we had the ball, they stepped up and made a play; whenever they had the ball, Quentin, Kevin, J. Richard, etc. would make a huge play. We were moving the ball well in the second half with a counter play and I really thought we'd be able to score a TD. Of course, they had a great goal line stand and forced us to try a FG attempt with a few minutes remaining in the 4th quarter. I saw the snap go through Kevin's hands, and looking back, I should have fell on the ball; however, I thought I could get the ball and somehow get it to Kevin. Curtis Hafford crushed me, though, and in an effort to pitch the ball to Kevin, I couldn't get my arms free of Hafford's grasp, and the ball rolled away from me and Kevin. At the time, fumbles couldn't be advanced, but I swear to this day the Jasper defenders pushed/rolled the ball way downfield. Regardless, after that attempt went awry, our defense really stepped it up (I still thank all that is good they were able to stop Jasper) and forced them to try a 50 yard FG that Watts missed badly (well short).

I really thought that was the end of the game, but when an injured Dewayne Evans hit Kevin Smith in double coverage, I thought Kevin was going to take it to the endzone (I actually thought he scored and won the game on that pass -- I even ran on halfway on the field thinking we were going to kick a PAT). With a little less than a minute left, we got the kick and it was pretty much all over. They couldn't find me on the sideline to squib the kickoff (there were a ton of people around me), so they got Adam Washington to kickoff instead. All we really had to do was stop their return, which we did (the Jasper kid made a nice return, though), and Kevin intercepted a desperation pass to end the game. That was a great game, and definitely one of my favorite memories of being a Mustang football player.

X Man
07-03-2004, 10:12 PM
This game may be every bit as exciting as the '87 game. I think the the cost of the Dome maybe why it was moved. We are really looking forward to August 27th!

j_dog
07-03-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by GS#17
...... I even ran on halfway on the field thinking we were going to kick a PAT). ..... That was a great game, and definitely one of my favorite memories of being a Mustang football player.
GS, I have been waiting to hear from you! :) Welcome aboard. Glad you cannot kick for WOS anymore! :) ;)

NHSBulldogFan
07-03-2004, 11:38 PM
I've still got about 9-10 games from that 87 WOS teams what dissapoints me the most is I've never been able to find the championship game vs. Rockwall (even though it came on local TV) I remember that Todd Dodge was a coach at Rockwall and they were running nearly the same offense that Port Arthur ran when they went to state back in 80'(ofcourse led by Todd Dodge and Brent Duhon)

GS#17
07-04-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by j_dog
GS, I have been waiting to hear from you! :) Welcome aboard. Glad you cannot kick for WOS anymore! :) ;)

LOL... I think if you actually saw me try to kick today, you'd probably change your mind. I don't think I could even walk out to midfield without pulling a hammy. :)

Anyway, I'm finally here, and I look forward to talking HS Football with all my Jasper friends. :)

Reveille
07-04-2004, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by duckbutter
What week is this battle taking place? Hoping it will be O week so that I can attend.

You have got to be kidding me. You would miss this game to go dove hunting? :eek:

SintonFan
07-05-2004, 12:29 AM
You guys make me want to watch this game. That kind of history is fun to watch and be a part of. What kind of visitor section does WOS have?

WOS92
07-05-2004, 12:58 AM
Stadium overall holds about 8,000 or so.

SintonFan
07-05-2004, 01:00 AM
So about 2000 on the visitor's side?

WOS92
07-05-2004, 01:12 AM
No... Probably closer to 3,000+. The home and visitors are pretty equal size-wise.

SintonFan
07-05-2004, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by WOS92
No... Probably closer to 3,000+. The home and visitors are pretty equal size-wise.
:cool:

D. R. Hooks
07-05-2004, 09:47 AM
WOS 92,

I believe the capacity of Mustang Stadium is 9,500. Hundreds of years ago, I saw the blue prints for the stadium. The home side holds around 4,600, with the away section holding about 4,900. The smaller homeside was due to the press box, but that was before the pressbox was replaced in the 80s.

There should be plenty of room on the visitor's side when Anahauc comes to down...

WOS92
07-05-2004, 10:20 AM
I think we play AT Anahuac :(

D. R. Hooks
07-05-2004, 10:39 AM
testing...http://www.flickingerweather.com/wos.JPG

D. R. Hooks
07-05-2004, 10:40 AM
cool, it works! WOS is on the map!

http://www.flickingerweather.com/wos.JPG

WOS92
07-05-2004, 10:42 AM
Dig it :D

Chris Hart
07-05-2004, 12:45 PM
What an ugly helmet! JK:D Pretty cool looking really, only if it were Kelly green and white.:)

WOS92
07-05-2004, 12:50 PM
hehehe... Wouldn't trade the blue-and-silver for the world. :D

GUNHO
07-05-2004, 02:09 PM
Heres how the series has gone.

1986-Jasper 21-8( WO-S 21-15 regional playoff )
1987-WO-S 3-0 ( WO-S ranked #1 and Jasper #3 )
1988-WO-S 38-15 (area playoff )
1990-WO-S 7-6
1991-WO-S 14-6
1992-WO-S 30-10
1993-WO-S 42-7 (WO-S 41-17 Bi-District )
1994-WO-S 28-14 ( Jasper 16-7 Bi-District )
1995-WO-S 37-0
1996-Jasper 41-0 ( ouch! )
1997- *WO-S 17-16 (WO-S 27-12 Bi- District ) *I think this was the game Jasper was about to score the goahead touchdown at our goal line and fumbled.WO-S recovered and ran the last seconds off the clock.
2000-WO-S 20-12
2001-Jasper 42-26( ouch again )

As you can see.... there has only been a few games between these two that have been blow outs.:clap:

WOS92
07-05-2004, 02:17 PM
Actually, '97 was when Tyler Thibodeaux kicked the game-winning field goal with about 3 seconds on the clock.

WOS92
07-05-2004, 02:18 PM
We beat Jasper twice in 2000 as well - 20-9 in the pre-district and 23-0 in the playoffs.

GUNHO
07-05-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by WOS92
Actually, '97 was when Tyler Thibodeaux kicked the game-winning field goal with about 3 seconds on the clock.

You are right 92.Must have been the 1990 game then.I started to say that game at first but I didn't think it had been that long.I can't think of another game that was that close at the end of the game.

pakrat
07-05-2004, 10:28 PM
I heard the WOS coach refused to play Jasper in 2002 because he knew they had nearly the whole team returning from the 2001 season. Another victory in the '02 and '03 season would have helped Jasper even up the series.

WOS92
07-05-2004, 10:59 PM
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, we just played Bay City instead! We only had two non-district games. Dan Hooks has never backed down from playing anyone, and I'm pretty confident - in retrospect - about our chances in those years vs. Jasper considering we beat Bay City last year and they went farther in the 4A playoffs than Jasper did in 3A. FYI - WO-S leads the series 14-4. Even if Jasper were to win two games, they'd still be pretty far behind in the count, pakrat. It would be far from "evened up." I love how all of these things start with "I heard..."

WOS92
07-05-2004, 11:02 PM
WO-S also beat PN-G, the team that beat Jasper 38-18, last year. So instead of scheduling someone tough to replace WO-S, you scheduled a perennial 0-10 powerhouse like Smiley?

duckbutter
07-06-2004, 08:47 AM
Smiley was a joke!! When Smiley came to Newton last yr it was the first time that I had ever seen a double punt. They punted to us and our return man punted back to them as soon as he caught the ball. Poor Smiley got pounded 3 weeks in a row by Newton, Jasper and Burkville (1A).

WOS1
07-06-2004, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by pakrat
I heard the WOS coach refused to play Jasper in 2002 because he knew they had nearly the whole team returning from the 2001 season. Another victory in the '02 and '03 season would have helped Jasper even up the series. You've got to be kidding, right? We ran from a 3A team that has never been to the state finals and replaced them with a 4A team that has been there consistently??:rolleyes: And you think that would have be 2 wins for you? That's funny! Remember, we beat BC both of those years (8-2 in 4A both years). I think you would have been a couple of games farther behind...

GUNHO
07-06-2004, 10:56 AM
I did not post the series of games between wo-s & jasper to just show who leads in the win column.I was trying to show that when these two go after it, it is usualy a dang good game.Five of wo-s wins could have gone the other way...they were that close.Just because a team leads a series can be deceiving.Jasper always comes to play and I don't see anything changing that come week 0.

D. R. Hooks
07-06-2004, 01:16 PM
As far as Coach Hooks ( uhhh, D.R. Hooks) "refusing to play Jasper" in 2002, was WOS tenitively sheduled to play in of those pre-season type games in the Astrodome or wherever in that year? Is that what the Pakrat guy is referring too?

WOS92
07-06-2004, 01:25 PM
I think pakrat is referring to something he may or may not have "heard" from "some dude."

chaingang
07-06-2004, 01:58 PM
GS, How far and how much time was left on the kick in jasper?

GUNHO
07-06-2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by chaingang

I'll answer that.I was standing right under the goal post when GS split those uprights from 55 yrds with 1/2 a tick left.

Well....that is what it seemed like to me at the time.:eek: :D

Haunta Yo
07-06-2004, 03:14 PM
Hey Duck-
I heard about the double punt, but i thought it was Newton and Alfonso Crutch.

duckbutter
07-06-2004, 03:20 PM
OOPS! You are indeed correct.:hairpunk:

D. R. Hooks
07-06-2004, 04:26 PM
What is a double punt? I've heard of a punter accidently kicking the ball off of the blocking back's rear, but that is probably not it.

Haunta Yo
07-06-2004, 05:20 PM
Alfonso Crutch punted the ball to Newton and the Newton player caught it and kicked it right back.

I think WO-S being in a 9 team district had more to do with them not playing Jasper in 2002 and 2003, but Hooks was glad Jasper took a knee on the 1 instead of hanging a final TD on 'em in 2001.

WO-S only had 1 non-district game early available and Jasper already had PNG. (WO-S played Bay City at Rice maybe)
They probably would have played the last two years if WO-S had been in a 6 or 7 team district.

WOS92
07-06-2004, 05:45 PM
hehehe... Yeah, most have been close, but WO-S certainly isn't the only of the two to have been on the receiving end of a whoopin'.

WOS1
07-06-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Haunta Yo
Alfonso Crutch punted the ball to Newton and the Newton player caught it and kicked it right back.

I think WO-S being in a 9 team district had more to do with them not playing Jasper in 2002 and 2003, but Hooks was glad Jasper took a knee on the 1 instead of hanging a final TD on 'em in 2001.

WO-S only had 1 non-district game early available and Jasper already had PNG. (WO-S played Bay City at Rice maybe)
They probably would have played the last two years if WO-S had been in a 6 or 7 team district.

What would be the benefit of a double punt? Field position? Was this an accident or intentional? (Although it would be hard to have an "unintentional" punt):thinking: :rolleyes:

As for your assessment of why the series ended the last 2 years, you are probably correct. Also, we did play BC at Rice but it was the last year we played Jasper and we lost to both of them. The last 2 years we played at the Dome.

GS#17
07-06-2004, 07:24 PM
The way I remember it, the coach told the returner to punt the ball back immediately after catching the ball to avoid running up the score. Don't ask me why they just didn't fair catch it and sit on the ball a few times....

Haunta Yo
07-06-2004, 08:00 PM
The return punt is illegal and there is a penalty.

Tells you how bad Newton was beating 'em. Maybe coach didn't know it was illegal and just wanted to play more defense.

Haunta Yo
07-06-2004, 08:08 PM
Main thing about WO-S v. Jasper is that there's going to be a great game zero week.

Probably be a back and forth game decided by 3 or 4 plays.
The entire state will be watching. It'll feel like a playoff game. Both teams will be better in the long run for having played it.

WOS1
07-06-2004, 09:42 PM
I agree.

pakrat
07-06-2004, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Haunta Yo
Main thing about WO-S v. Jasper is that there's going to be a great game zero week.

Probably be a back and forth game decided by 3 or 4 plays.
The entire state will be watching. It'll feel like a playoff game. Both teams will be better in the long run for having played it.
Let's hope they are better for having played it and hope they don't mangle each other too badly. Jasper lost their big fullback, Marlon Cook, early in the playoffs and they were not the same team without him. They have to find someone who will rise to the task and fill his shoes if they are to beat WOS.

GS#17
07-08-2004, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by chaingang

26 yards, 56 seconds.

D. R. Hooks
07-09-2004, 08:54 AM
How nervous were you? I thought the wooden boards at the stadium might collapse from us jumping up and down.

GS#17
07-09-2004, 09:24 AM
I know this is going to sound weird, but I didn't really feel nervous when it happened. I was focused on what I needed to do, but I remember a few things very distinctly. We called a timeout just before the kick, and everyone huddled around Coach Hooks. Everyone but me -- apparently, they were discussing what to do if we had another snafu. Coach Thompson called me over, put his hands on my shoulder pads, and just stared into my eyes. He didn't say anything at all, but I had this incredible calm come over me -- it was as if he was telling me I was going to make it. We went back on the field, and I thought to check my tee, in case anyone ran into it. I checked the tee, I got into position to kick the ball, and I remember the ref signaling the play clock to start. All of the sudden, there was this amazing crowd noise coming from all around me -- I had never heard anything that loud before. It really sounded like it was in stereo. I started thinking "Just wait until Kevin catches the ball." The previous attempt, I had taken a step just before the ball got to Kevin, and I felt somewhat off-balance when the ball went through his hands and I tried to cut back to get it. I figured if I had waited, maybe I could have done something different... Before I knew it, there was no noise -- it was completely quiet -- and I was concentrating on the kick. The snap was low, but Kevin made a great stop, put the ball on the tee, and I kicked it.

Right after the kick, I remember thinking, "I'm just going to walk off the field like I do this all the time"; however, this incredible surge of energy hit me and I couldn't help but jump up and down. It was sheer excitement.

With all that said, I mentioned I didn't really feel nervous when it happened; yet, I know I must have been. After the game, we got KFC, but I couldn't eat a bite. My stomach was in knots. It was the middle of the next week before I could really eat anything -- I could eat a bite of something here or there, but nowhere near an entire meal.

Now, put me out there today in the same situation, I'd probably pass out before anyone could get me off the sideline. :)

chaingang
07-09-2004, 01:47 PM
GS- I wish i was old enough to remember. I was there watching my sis but I was too young. As for my kick against Jasper it wasnt as suspensfull. It was 16-14 Jasper and we had 3 seconds left, so I had time to relax(if it was relaxing at all) and I had missed a 46yarder (I think) barely wide right earlier in the game. The thing running through my mind at the time were not like GS. I was shaking becuse coach T didnt give me calm feelings, he gave me a miss and your dead look. Just like you said Gs, the fans were loud really loud. What didnt make it any easier is how we got into field goal territory. It was arguably one of the best offensive marches down the field in WOS history. Jermaine Feathers, Jason Taylor and Jamal Lowe were the ones that one that game not the kicker. They had some of the best clutch catches I have ever seen. About the kick, I told myself to get it up high because I knew they were coming. That was almost a mistake as I watched the ball go over the cross bar by about a foot. Now I know how it feels to win of course, but I have felt a loss on me too. Being a kicker, you have to be humble.

Bye the way GS, thanks for all the help during my WOS career. It always helped to have someone with experience and knowlege lead me through the good and the bad times.;)

D. R. Hooks
07-09-2004, 02:26 PM
#17--

I never saw your celebration because we were all jumping, hugging, high-fiving, screaming, and I don't remember anything after that.

Was there any doubt about the kick? Was it down the middle, hooking or what?

#17 if you were the kicker 2 years earlier, WOS may have beat Houston Yates in the 5A playoffs. Remember the kicker then? Big #77 from the toe punch days. He missed 3 short FGs.

GS#17
07-09-2004, 03:33 PM
Chaingang, I ran into your dad a while back in Eckerds. We got to talking, and he said something really interesting -- he had been to every game won by a last-minute FG. The 3-0 game in Jasper, the one you kicked to beat Bridge City (on your birthday, nonetheless), and the one you got against Jasper. I assume he was there for the 3-0 game against PNG in 2002, as well.

Your kick against Jasper was the most exciting one I remember. Honestly, I was more nervous for you than I was when I kicked mine (ten years before your kick). I knew you were going to make it, though, so long as the snap and hold were good. Once it left your foot, I was jumping up and down in the stands -- there was never a doubt in my mind that was the game-winner. I was real proud of you.

Thank you, also. Although I didn't do much but give you a few basic pointers, it was great watching you improve every week. For what it's worth, there were far more good times than there were bad. :) BTW, I've still got the 1987 Jasper game on tape if you ever want to watch it (seeing as you were too young to remember it :rolleyes: ).

D.R. Hooks, I was lined up to the right of center, not quite to the right hash mark. It seemed like it took several seconds for the ball to cross the crossbar, but in reality it was very quick. When I looked up, the ball looked to be traveling toward the right upright. I thought to myself, if it goes over the upright, they're going to say it's no good. Actually, the ball was traveling toward the middle of the goalposts, and after I had my thought, it went pretty much through the middle of the uprights and out of the stadium. Same offer to you as I gave to Chaingang: If you ever want to see the game, let me know, and I can try to bring it to you the next time you're in town.

Pat Arnett was our kicker in 85. He was a great DT and, overall, a pretty good kicker with a very strong leg. He missed a few kicks in the Yates game he probably would have made in any other game, but to his defense, he was a DT first and a kicker last (and there was no kicking coach). Where I had a huge advantage over him (and several other kickers) was I specialized in kicking. Yet, he made some huge kicks throughout the year, particularly against French (10-7). Unfortunately, when you're playing a team like the 1985 Yates squad, everything has to go your way to win and that didn't happen for us. We gave them one heck of a fight, though. :)

D. R. Hooks
07-09-2004, 03:44 PM
I remember Pat Arnett.

Who was the kicker in 1986? I remember #19 was the guy, was it JH? He was the first soccer style guy.

#17, did you have a kicking coach or did you teach yourself?

If I had to do it over again, I would have tried out for kicker. Me and some of my friends would practice kicking FGs down at the East campus stadium. After watching RM in 1990 ( I remember him being short on a 30 something yarder versus LCM) I really thought about it, but I was in the band then, and I instead played soccer with your brother.

D. R. Hooks
07-09-2004, 04:00 PM
#17,

Okay....you're challenging me here. Wasn't the 1985 game with French in Beaumont? WOS lead 10-0 after the 1st quarter, 10-7 at halftime, then it poured all second half and no one scored.

GS#17
07-09-2004, 04:02 PM
You're right on both the name and number -- Jeff Helms was the kicker in 86. I'm not sure of his stats, but he was excellent. He played some at WR, as well, but primarily was used as a kicker.

From 9th grade through my senior year, I went to kicking camps during the summer. Two were in Baton Rouge (LSU), one was in Denton (UNT). They helped some, but the camps were short-lived, maybe a couple of days at most. I actually got most of my help from my dad. He constructed a kicking net in our backyard out of PVC pipe and fish netting, and I used that pretty often. Also, we would go down to East Campus frequently to kick, and he would give me pointers. When I was in school, I was more or less my own coach. I'd take a bag of balls and a kicking tee, head over to the field by the tennis courts (which is now where the athletic office is), and kick until they were ready for special teams practice or wind sprints. Every now and then, one of the coaches would give me advice (nothing really major), but I was pretty much on my own. Luckily, I played soccer most of my life and understood the soccer-style technique enough where I could figure out what to do, how to improve, etc.

I remember you and Scott playing soccer. That is one thing I wish I could've done, but WOS didn't have a soccer program until the year after I graduated. As much as you played soccer, I'm sure you would've done really well as a kicker.

GS#17
07-09-2004, 04:07 PM
The 85 French game was in Beaumont at the Babe Zaharias Stadium. As cliche as it sounds, it was a cold and rainy night.... :)

I think we were winning 10-7 at halftime, but I'm not sure. I've got a ton of newspapers from around that time, so I'll have to see if I can find that one. I remember it was their homecoming (they had beaten us in 84 at our homecoming and knocked us out of the playoffs... Revenge was sweet), and I remember the last hit the Buffalo QB took. It was brutal. Other than that, I was cold, wet, and shivering. :)

D. R. Hooks
07-09-2004, 04:18 PM
Gosh...all these memories are coming back to me...I think I was 12 years old. Yes, I remember the French game. Pat Arnett kicked the FG near the end of the first quarter for 10-0 lead after WOS led 7-0. Then it was 10-7, then wet.

The QB for French was an "athlete" moved to that position for his senior year, he was more productive as an end earlier in his career. In 1984 against WOS, he returned a kickoff against us for a TD when a train was going by. He was #9, do you remember his name? He probably played college ball somewhere...

Scott had that pig-tail border-line mullet when he played soccer :D

GS#17
07-09-2004, 04:35 PM
I looked in the attic for the write-up of the game, but I didn't start collecting newspapers until the playoffs started in 85. Unfortunately, I don't remember the French QB's name, but I think it was Williams. The name Wayne or Willie Williams seems to stand out in my head, but I don't know why...

Scott and his mullet. LOL... There was nothing borderline about it -- it was a full mullet, complete with pigtail. I wonder, if we pay him enough money, do you think he'll grow that out again? :D

GS#17
07-09-2004, 04:38 PM
I'm going to post this up on the WOS board. I'm sure we'll have an answer about the French game by this evening. :)

D. R. Hooks
07-09-2004, 04:40 PM
#17,

You're right, it was something Williams.

Anyway, next time you see Scott, ask him what he did on a boat the summer of '87 :D He was quite excited to tell me!

GS#17
07-09-2004, 04:42 PM
Will do... :)

GS#17
07-09-2004, 08:35 PM
Here is the only information I could find on the WOS board, compliments WOSGrad:

GS, I don't recall the scoring, but I recall that the name of the QB for French was a guy by the name of Willie Williams. The guy was a speedster that had played WR the year before (for those of you who remember the '84 game, he was the guy who returned the KO on us).

Sans Couth
07-09-2004, 09:09 PM
All of this talk about being young in the 80's is making me feel like an old fart.

WOS1
07-09-2004, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by GS#17
Here is the only information I could find on the WOS board, compliments WOSGrad:

You guys are getting back to my era now, the QB WAS Willie Williams and Hooks remembers the game exactly how it played out. I remember thinking that we were going to blow them out after the first quarter, and I also remember thinking how BIG it would be to head into the playoffs (it was our tenth game) with a blowout of the defending state co-champs (they tied Odessa Permian the year before for the state title). We wound up having to sweat it out before Mike Moore almost killed Williams on their final play. I remember on the highlight tape how dejected the French players were after that play.

pakrat
07-09-2004, 10:44 PM
This thread should be retitled the "WOS Reunion"

X Man
07-10-2004, 01:27 AM
HA! They would have to add about 15 years for it to be a reunion! Oh, I forgot, I went to West Orange High School, and played the cross town rival Stark High.

D. R. Hooks
07-10-2004, 04:26 PM
Okay....while we're talking about 1980s football, maybe an old Mustang remembers this. It was very confusing to me and the other folks nearby us in the stands:

Back to 1985. WOS is undefeated and making a run in the 5A playoffs, and we are playing one of the Baytown schools in the Astrodome.

Baytown scores in the 4th quarter to tie the game 14-14. The Astrodome scoreboard shows that Baytown has one more penetration and many more FDs and yards. According to the scoreboard, we would loose in a tie.

But the Mustangs are coming back with the time dwindling.

The Mustangs move the ball down the field and are faced with a 4th down and 6 to go from the Baytown 22. There's about 2 minutes left. WOS calls timeout. We're watching from the stands and assume we will send Pat Arnett out for a FG try for the lead. Instead, we come out with Roderick Robertson under center to try to make the 4th and 6. We couldn't believe we weren't going to try a FG!

Roberston pitches on an option, and pick up 4 yards to the 18 yard line. We are short of a first down, but get a penetration. The Astrodome scoreboard changes and now shows that Baytown and WOS are equal on penetrations, but Baytown still leads in the other stats; therefore Baytown would advance in a tie. In the stands, we feel like we have lost the game, but our coaching staff is celebrating.

It turned out that the scoreboard was wrong. WOS now had 1 more penetration.

Were any of you near the coaching staff for that call? Obviously, Coach Hooks and crew knew the scoreboard was wrong.

JasperDog94
07-10-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by pakrat
This thread should be retitled the "WOS Reunion" I was thinking the same thing.;)

GS#17
07-10-2004, 09:12 PM
Hooks, here is how it was written in the Beaumont Enterprise (11/24/85):

"Sterling's fans were taunted cruelly... The Astrodome scoreboard operator incorrectly listed penetrations tied at 4-4... When the 8-3-1 Rangers took over after holding the Mustangs late in the game their fans and players erupted into celebration. WO-S' Coach Dan Hooks called timeout and rushed onto the field to confer with the officials. After a short conference, word filtered among the Mustangs that they did indeed have an edge in penetrations, and it was the opposite side of the Dome's turn to be happy.

'I doublechecked that about 16 times,' said WO-S' Dan Hooks. 'I knew we were ahead by one, and then they went down and scored. On our last drive, I called Roderick over and told him past our 20 was all we needed.

'Then their fans kept going bananas and I started getting nervous. I couldn't go back to Orange if I'd passed up that field goal tied in penetrations. I'd have to move somewhere else.'"