PDA

View Full Version : TX - Horns Down After 1st Game

ej2525
06-26-2004, 10:00 PM
Bummer -- The loss puts the Horns in a Sudden Death situation. CSF wins 6 - 4 in the first game of the series!!

PhiI C
06-26-2004, 10:05 PM
Don't be discouraged. There is still a chance! Thank goodness for two out of three. Horns weren't at their best with all those errors. Maybe things will be better tomorrow and send it to a third game.

Bellville22
06-27-2004, 11:20 AM
Texas bite....Texas bite.....

District303aPastPlayer
06-27-2004, 12:26 PM
Go Fullerton =x

JasperDog94
06-28-2004, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Bellville22
Texas bite....Texas bite..... In the voice of Forest Gump: "Momma said that if didn't have anything nice to say, then you shouldn't say anything at all.";)

Bellville22
06-28-2004, 09:55 AM
I know Texas is a far better baseball team than A&M (I'm sure they're a better athletic program, school, and better people as well, if you don't know, just ask them), but the look on Augie's face while CSF was getting the trophy was priceless!

It hurts Texas more to be #2 than it hurts any other team below them to be where they are, I love it. Texas bite...Texas bite.....

Where are you 73? I know you're loving this.

JasperDog94
06-28-2004, 12:26 PM
So instead of rooting for your team you'd rather dog another team? Sounds like great school spirit to me.:rolleyes:

You know it's really sad that you took such pleasure in the #1 coach in all of college baseball's disappointment. Did you actually listen to what he had to say after the game was over? That had to be one of the classiest things I've ever heard.

Bellville22
06-28-2004, 07:32 PM
If my team was still playing, I would certainly be rooting for them. And as 'Brahma73' and I always say, our favorite team besides A&M is the team playing Texas :D

And while Augie may have mustered up classy words (whether true or not), it was FAR from classy to decline the 2nd place trophy. Seriously, does Texas think they're too good to accept finishing behind someone. Simply classless. As was it that they disregarded NCAA regulations to send someone to the post-game conference.

University of Texas Baseball, #2 in the nation, and they can't stand it!!!

JasperDog94
06-29-2004, 12:53 PM
Compliments of ESPN.com

OMAHA, Neb. -- That his Texas Longhorns were heavy favorites to win the College World Series but finished second was tough enough to stomach.

Now, coach Augie Garrido is defending the program and his players after catching flak for not returning to the field Sunday to accept the second-place trophy after the Longhorns were swept by Cal State Fullerton in the best-of-three series.

Garrido said that a lack of communication was to blame. Following a report that the Longhorns chose not to return to the field after NCAA officials made two requests for them to do so, Garrido told the Dallas Morning News that CWS tournament coordinator Dennis Pope gave no ultimatum regarding acceptance of the trophy.

"We didn't have clear directions from tournament directors on what to do," Garrido told the Morning News. "It certainly wasn't a lack of sportsmanship on our players' behalf.

"When they asked me if we were going to pick up the award, if we had a rep to get it, I said, 'Who do you want? We'll do anything you want us to do.' [Pope] said, 'It's optional.' "

The newspaper did not say if it tried to contact Pope.

The Longhorns remained in the dugout for 10 minutes during Fullerton's on-field celebration before heading to their locker room. Garrido told the Morning News that at no point during that time in the dugout did tournament officials approach him about accepting the award.

On talk radio, the aftermath overshadowed Fullerton's first national title since 1995. One commentator labeled Garrido as classless. The Morning News ran a fan poll, and while some defended Garrido, others offered "trophy" comments ranging from "arrogant" to "unsportsmanlike" to "childish."

Garrido told the newspaper he expected the second-place trophy to be mailed to the university.

Now why would he stay 10 minutes in the dugout and watch the celebration of Cal State if he were classless? Why would he offer to do whatever they wanted him to do if he were classless? Classless is the last word I would use to describe a man of the caliber of Augie.

Once again all you aggies have to hang your hat on is the disappointment of Texas. I'm glad that I never went to a school that promotes that kind of attitude. But no. Once again we have to start all of this up again.

If you want to talk about Texas, let's talk about the head to head matchups between A&M and Texas.:o :D

Bandera YaYa
06-29-2004, 01:56 PM
I agree.........To be an Aggie is to be jealous, jealous, jealous.... :p :p :p