PDA

View Full Version : Golden Triangle Sun Devils top 72 team field for Jr. Olympics--Baseball

Old Cardinal
06-26-2004, 04:15 PM
In Palm Beach Florida, 72 nationwide handpicked premium teams vied for the best Select Baseball Team. The tournament lasted 9 days. Bridge City Pitcher Broc Haymon (Junior to be) finished off the last 8 innings of the Tournament and the Sun Devils won the National Championship 2-1.....Bridge City's All State Pitcher and (Junior to be) Kevin Angelle; along with a Bridge City(Sophomore to be) Johnny Dishon were instrumental in the grueling bracket climb for the win.....Other Orange County kids beefing the team were (LC-M) Wes Schneider, Clayton Ehlert, Nick Ayers, and Jake Rowell.

It is my understanding that Broc Haymon, after the pitching feat is now recognized as one of the best up-and-comers in the nation. Congratulation Sun Devils on a great National Championship showing.....

There are strong rumors that Haymon may come back into Bridge City football to share the QB role with Sophomore Johnny Dishon.

VWG
06-26-2004, 04:42 PM
That's a strong team to go into a 72 team field and win the championship.
What league was this sanctioned under?

Old Cardinal
06-26-2004, 05:24 PM
This is top-flight Select team premium ball...

VWG
06-27-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
This is top-flight Select team premium ball...

I understand the competition is A premium grade, but I was wondering who the sanctioning body is... USSSA, Pony, etc.....??

XMan
06-27-2004, 09:56 PM
No disrespect but this must have been a weak field of 72. Haymon and Angelle are good but not some of the nations best. They both TOP OUT at 84 mph, good enogh to win a lot of 3A ballgames but not good enough to be nationally recognized. Old Card, Bridge City has some fine players but you need to get out and look around a bit. There are some very fine players around that dont live in the Golden Triangle. You toot the Cardinals horn constintly then just look silly when Bridge City gets "upset". Unfortunately, i dont believe every time Bridge City loses its an upset, there are plenty of teams out there as talented as the Cardinals. When you play lots of weak competition you can lose perspective. Not everyone is as weak as Deweyville and the like. This was not meant to hack you off although im sure it will. I just get tired of hearing about how great Bridge City is and then seeing them get upset in the 1st round of the playoffs time after time.

ej2525
06-27-2004, 10:22 PM
XMan... since you make your comments (bias to WO-S) where have the Stangs (playoffs in baseball) been in the past few years?? And the Cards have made it past the first round in the playoffs... Have the Stangs EVER played for the STATE CHAMPIONSHIP in history in 5A or 4A???

WOS1
06-28-2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by ej2525
XMan... since you make your comments (bias to WO-S) where have the Stangs (playoffs in baseball) been in the past few years?? And the Cards have made it past the first round in the playoffs... Have the Stangs EVER played for the STATE CHAMPIONSHIP in history in 5A or 4A???

To answer your question... yes! West Orange did make it to the final in 3A in the 70's. As for the WOS legacy in baseball, we made the playoffs every year from 1981-1995 (which includes 2 trips to the state tournament) THE longest playoff streak in this area. WO-S was the ONLY team to beat Brenham pitcher Jon Peters who has the national record for consecutive wins in 1989. True, with a declining enrollment and a stream of athletes leaving to play under Coach Griff at LCM, our program is not what it once was under Coach Ronnie Anderson but, it should improve again in the local 3A district. We have been in probably the toughest district in the state in 4A, at least the region (I only come to this conclusion because two 20-4A teams played for the regional title).

I understand what X-man is trying to say though he probably could have been a little more diplomatic in his post, and I agree with him 100%. OC has been blowing smoke since I've come to this site about how BC and this district is the toughest in the state and insinuates that no other even comes close. I even made a post (as Gasilla) when I first started coming over here that it was my opinion that BC was the beneficiary of a weak district but, he would not have any of that. If you want comparisons, BC and WO-S did play this year and the game ended in a tie. WO-S was young and a mediocre team. BC did not start having tremendous success until they started district and that ended in the first round of the playoffs. Even then OC says they were upset, it's like he's in denial. I think BC has a solid ballclub but they aren't the super club he builds them up to be.

sinton66
06-28-2004, 10:19 AM
We need to settle down a bit folks, try to stick to known facts that you can back up. Both Old Card and xman are entitled to their opinions, but let's not let this slide into berating high school atheletes by name. That HASN'T (IMO) happened yet, and I don't want to see it happen. We can disagree with each other without being disagreeable.

XMan
06-28-2004, 05:07 PM
I will assure you that im not trying to put down any individual kids. Let me try to explain my post a little further. My "advice" to OC is not to be negative, im actually trying to help him and his team/town out in the long run. I beleive BC has very good players and coaches and their fans are behind the team like none ive seen. However, it is very dangerous for a person to keep saying how good the players/team from BC is. By that i mean when kids/parents hear over and over how great they should be and the expectations are built up and never achieved its not a good thing. Great internal strife can erupt between fans, coaches and fellow players when their greatness is discussed in such detail. Be proud of your team, pull for them all the way and let them get out there and play the game. If it turns out players or teams are truly great, it will be realized by all without any talk.

WOS1
06-28-2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by XMan
I will assure you that im not trying to put down any individual kids. Let me try to explain my post a little further. My "advice" to OC is not to be negative, im actually trying to help him and his team/town out in the long run. I beleive BC has very good players and coaches and their fans are behind the team like none ive seen. However, it is very dangerous for a person to keep saying how good the players/team from BC is. By that i mean when kids/parents hear over and over how great they should be and the expectations are built up and never achieved its not a good thing. Great internal strife can erupt between fans, coaches and fellow players when their greatness is discussed in such detail. Be proud of your team, pull for them all the way and let them get out there and play the game. If it turns out players or teams are truly great, it will be realized by all without any talk.
Nice recovery!;)