PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma HS football doesn't cut it.

D. R. Hooks
06-23-2004, 10:30 PM
I've been obliglated to following Oklahoma HS football for three years now, and though the stadiums compare to those in Texas, and all TV stations go nuts covering the games on their Friday Night shows, Oklahoma high school football does not have the feel of Texas High School football.

Part of the reason is lack of competition due to low population.
Every season, either Tulsa Union, Tulsa Jenks or Putnam City school (OKC suburb) will be the #1 school in 6A. There are only 4 6A districts in the state, meaning that when the Top 10 polls come out, every team with a winning record gets ranked.

There is no mystery of any team, you don't play schools in towns you've never heard of, you know every school color, every mascot, and I know that for the umpteenth year in a row, a school from Tulsa will play a school from OKC in the state title game-- all it takes is two playoff wins, and you're in the chamionship game.

We've all heard that Texas football has no comparison, and that truth is grilled in to me every Fall Friday.

Phil C
06-24-2004, 10:42 AM
Of course it doesn't. That is why Oklahoma recruits so heavy in Texas. Also Oklahoma State and Tulsa have gotten some good Texas athletics.

WOS92
06-24-2004, 11:00 AM
If it’s any indication, WO-S alone has four starters on DI teams in Oklahoma - Gayron Allen is starting MLB at OU and, get this - our two corners and free safety from our 2000 state finalist team make up three of the starting defense at Tulsa U. We have the same # of players at Oklahoma DI schools as we do TX DI schools. In fact, unless I’m mistaken, we only have one at UT, one at A&M and one at North TX right now... so more in Oklahoma.

bullfrog_alumni_02
06-24-2004, 12:44 PM
yea, that must suck to not have to really work for anything. two games and your in, and w/ only 4 districts to choose from, it would really be hard to not be on top. and as far as the putnam school district goes...that has got to be by far the worst school district in the country. i attended there when i was younger, and my cousin went there her whole life neither one of us enjoyed it.

D. R. Hooks
06-24-2004, 01:03 PM
WOS92 guy,

JT and JH both started as freshman!, and DL is larger and is now a linebacker. Last year, JT did not play so he could work on grades. What WOS guy plays in Austin?

WOS92
06-24-2004, 02:46 PM
Eric Enard will be playing WR at UT.