PDA

View Full Version : Q&A with Burnet QB Stephen McGee

BurnetBulldog
12-09-2002, 11:41 PM
Q&A with Burnet junior QB Stephen McGee

By: Jason Suchomel
Date: December 4, 2002

Content from Red Raider Sports

Burnet junior quarterback Stephen McGee has all the physical tools that will have college coaches from across the country beating down his door next season. The standout signal caller opened a lot of eyes at this year?s 7-on-7 State Tournament, where many felt he was the best player in attendance. McGee is a big, strong player who has the arm strength to make any throw on the football field and he also possesses tremendous leadership qualities. Burnet plays Jasper this weekend at Kyle Field for a shot at the state title. We caught up with McGee to see how things are going for him on the recruiting front:

I read where you were banged up a little last week. Will you be ready to go against Jasper?

“I sprained my MCL a little bit but it will be all right. It’s still a little stiff but at least it’s not a tear. We’re just going to have to try to keep things in the pocket and if it’s not there I’ll have to throw it away. I’m not going to be able to scramble much.”

Is that part of your game normally?

“Normally it is. I like to move around and see if I can get people open.”

Have you started to worry about recruiting yet?

“Well, during the season I try to focus on games but I guess I’ve thought about it a little bit.”

Which schools are sending you the most mail?

“Of course A&M is probably the most. Texas Tech. Pretty much everywhere really. The handwritten letters that I get are mainly from A&M, Tech and TCU. But I’ve been getting other letters from a lot of schools.”

Which summer camps did you hit last year?

“The Nike Camp. I went to the UT mini-camp, and A&M mini-camp, the Gulf Coast Passing Camp and a Hill Country passing camp.”

Have you broken it down as far as who jumps out for you right now?

“Right now I’d say it’s probably A&M and Tech. But there are a lot of other schools that might offer down the road so that could change.”

Who has offered so far?

“A&M, Tech, TCU, SMU.”

Your teammate Jordan Shipley is pretty high on Texas Tech too. Do you two ever talk about going as a package deal?

“We’ve talked about it. But there’s nothing dead set. We’re going to go wherever is best for both of us. If it works out that would be great. If we could play college ball together that would be really fun. And it might happen.”

You opened a lot of eyes at the state 7-on-7 tournament. What do you think are your stronger points that are making you such a hot prospect?

“I would say my leadership ability and rallying my teammates. The guys know they can rely on me. There are a lot of guys that have the physical ability, but I feel like when the game is on the line I can make a play and lead the team to victory.”

Are there areas that you want to work on over the next year or so to take yourself to the next level?

“Physically, I want to put on some weight and just keep getting faster and stronger. And I’ll just be throwing the ball a whole bunch, having fun. I hope to get up to about 210 and maintain quick feet and keep my 40 down low.”

What are you at right now as far as a height, weight and 40?

“I’m 6-3, 195 and my 40 is a 4.68.”

Do you know any weightroom numbers?

“My bench is about 280.”

Do you know any stats from this year (13 games)?

“I think my passing yards are about 2,300 or so. I have like 28 touchdown passes and 12 touchdown runs. I think I have four interceptions and I’m completing about 58 percent of my passes.”

Do you want to try to make a decision early next year or do you want to go through the whole process and take some visits?

“Well, I plan on graduating early so I’ll probably commit sometime during the football season. That way I can go ahead and enroll in January.”