Phil C
06-20-2004, 08:06 PM
Way to Go Texas!!

Old Tiger
06-20-2004, 08:17 PM
WTG TEXAS!!!!!

vfunk
06-20-2004, 08:42 PM
sad part is....I bet a lot of these guys will go to OU and they will win a championship and we will have to hear about how great Oklahoma is....even though all their great athletes are just stupid Texas guys that didnt go to Texas schools! that has to be a run-on sentence...

sinton66
06-20-2004, 09:11 PM
I think I only saw three on the Texas roster that have signed with Oklahoma. The majority of them looked to have chosen Texas schools.

2004 Oil Bowl Texas roster (http://hsoklahoma.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=289190)

fury900
06-20-2004, 09:42 PM
It didn’t take long to see this was going to be a Texas-sized butt-kicking.

The 67th Oil Bowl was over by the end of the first quarter. It dragged on for more than three hours, but Oklahoma really never had a prayer.

The clock hadn’t struck 8, and writers in the press box were busy thumbing through the record book. The most lopsided games in Oil Bowl history were 37-0 Texas in 1946 and 1956.

Here we were just seven points away from history. And the game was barely 10 minutes old.

As it turned out, Texas never expanded its 30-0 lead, but still had an easy 40-10 Saturday evening.

If Oklahoma had any serious thoughts about winning two in a row, those were erased on the first two passes of the game.

Tulsa Union quarterback Jake Spavital was intercepted by Baylen Laury. On the very next play — Texas’ first offensive snap of the night — the Ennis connection of Graham Harrell-to-Jarvis Wilson worked for 61 yards.

"We knew they were working on jailbreak a lot — a little screen pass under — and we decided on the first play we would run jailbreak fake. Jarvis and I had played together for so long, we figured it would be a good play, and it turned out big," Harrell, the game’s unanimous offensive MVP, explained.

"It set the tempo," added Franklin Okam, the talented defensive end from Lake Highlands and defensive MVP of this game. "When we first got the pickoff from Laury and a great start on defense, the offense came right back and set the tempo for the whole game. I think they were kinda shocked by the way the game started."

The Texans led 7-0 after just 59 seconds. It then took 74 seconds more for them to stretch it out to 16-0 on a safety and a 48-yard homecoming touchdown run by former Hirschi star Chris Barry.

Before the quarter was over, Shannon Woods of McKinney North and Tommy Henderson of Wichita Falls High School had found the end zone, and Texas was on pace to gobble up almost 800 yards in total offense and win 120-0.

With Oklahoma’s defense looking helpless and hopeless, it seemed the only thing that could stop a Texas rout was a run-rule or the mercy of the Texas coaches. But it’s an all-star game. You just can’t take a knee for three quarters. The 8,000 or so paying customers deserve more than that.

Oklahoma helped out some by simply playing better, going on a 10-0 run early in the second quarter to at least show it still had a pulse. To Oklahoma’s credit, this was a 10-10 game for the final 38 minutes.

But the imbalance of talent in this year’s game was evident from the time these two teams checked into the dorm on Tuesday. Texas’ offensive line was as good as it has ever been for an Oil Bowl. The defense — headed by Okam and Chris Smith of Allen — just didn’t budge a whole lot the entire night.

And then there was Harrell.

It is often the case in all-star games that big-name quarterbacks don’t live up to their reputations. It’s hard to get your timing down with receivers you have never seen before in just a few practices.

But Harrell lived up to his 12,000-yard, 167-touchdown hype. He was smooth and poised under pressure, completing 17 of 29 passes for 260 yards and two TDs.

"He puts the ball where he needs to put it. He is incredible. He is the best quarterback I’ve ever seen," said Henderson, who got a few snaps at quarterback but was used mainly as a wide receiver, catching two of Harrell’s passes for 19 yards.

http://www.timesrecordnews.com/trn/ls_columnists/article/0,1891,TRN_5789_2977416,00.html

kaorder1999
06-20-2004, 11:34 PM
good to see Laury from forney played well...well...he got a pick so i guess he played well

dontknowitall
06-21-2004, 08:23 AM
two picks, three tackles

Z motion 10 out on 2
06-21-2004, 03:33 PM
I did not attend the game in protest to the Windthorst coach (Texas head coach) not inviting my son to play in the game. I was very dissapointed to see that two of the QB's invited to play were worthy of the honor but my son wasn't. He picked both QB's off during the season. He also played against a thrid QB that played for the Texas team although he didn't pick him off during the regular season, he sure make some good tackles on him.

So I have sour grapes on the Oil Bowl. Too bad Oklahoma didn't win, that would have made my day. My revenge will come when he plays against Midwestern State and West Texas A&M and makes them pay for the Texas coaches not picking him. Both teams had future QB's in the Oil Bowl.

My son will be playing for Southeastern Oklahoma State who is ranked preseason #24 in the nation.

vfunk
06-21-2004, 06:25 PM
little bitter arent we Z? I understand its your son...but things happen for a reason. This is just high school...once your boy outperforms these guys in college...you will have the last laugh. Dont worry about it....Im sure your son will take care of business!

Z motion 10 out on 2
06-23-2004, 01:41 PM
Yes, I'm very bitter over it. It is such an honor to be selected and an experience that a young man will never forget. Then I see these guys selected that I know that my son can play with and or is a better player than and it makes me sick. In addition, many of these players are playing in more than one all star game. For example, several players in the Oil Bowl also played in the Greenbelt Bowl the prior week. Several will be playing in the Coaches game in several weeks. I think the kids should only be allowed to play in one game.

But the bottom line is that I'm sore about it and there is nothing that can be done. I just pray that my son does well in college. He will redshirt his freshman year so I will have to wait to see him out perform the other guys selected at least a year or so.

But I'm also happy that he has an opportunity to play for a potential conference champion as well. The main thing is education and football is second. But you know as a parent you want everything for your kids.

Originally posted by vfunk
little bitter arent we Z? I understand its your son...but things happen for a reason. This is just high school...once your boy outperforms these guys in college...you will have the last laugh. Dont worry about it....Im sure your son will take care of business!