PDA

View Full Version : Jackson finished as Lakers coach; Shaq asks for trade

kaorder1999
06-18-2004, 09:56 PM
uh oh.....laker fans...whats the deal?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpbmdmam0wBF9TAzI1NjY0ODI1BHNlYwN0 bQ--?slug=ap-lakers-jackson&prov=ap&type=lgns
---------------------

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. (AP) -- The Zen Master is done coaching the Los Angeles Lakers and his two biggest stars could be leaving the team, too.

Phil Jackson, one of the most successful coaches in NBA history, won't return as coach of the Lakers.

Meanwhile, Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant looked as if they could be playing elsewhere next season.

A team source told the AP on condition of anonymity that O'Neal had requested a trade. And as expected Bryant became an unrestricted free agent, opting out of his contract.

Jackson, who won three straight championships with the team, agreed with Lakers owner Jerry Buss to end his tenure as coach, the team said in a statement.

Buss offered Jackson another position with the organization, which Jackson will decide whether to accept in the near future, the team said.

``The experience of the past five years has been great,'' Jackson said. ``Three rings and a fourth opportunity makes this a bittersweet ending, but it's time to pause and reflect. I'm appreciative of all the Lakers, the organization, the fans and Dr. Buss.''

Jackson's departure was expected even before he met with Buss following the coach's participation in season-ending interviews with several players earlier in the day.

Jackson's five-year, $30 million contract expires at the end of the month. He was discussing a contract extension, but the Lakers broke off talks in February until after the season.

Jackson is well-known for his offbeat coaching style and motivational ploys, from practicing Zen philosophy to urging his players to meditate and buying them books for long road trips.

Jackson joined the Lakers in June 1999, and coached them to their first championship in 12 years in his first season. Two more titles followed, giving Jackson nine to tie him with former Boston coach Red Auerbach for the most in NBA history.

The Lakers were eliminated in the second round of the playoffs by eventual champion San Antonio last year and reached the NBA Finals this year before losing to the Detroit Pistons.

In 14 seasons as a head coach, Jackson is 832-316 for a .725 winning percentage -- best in NBA history. His 175 playoff wins are the most ever and his .717 postseason winning percentage is also tops.

Jackson, 58, coached the Michael Jordan-led Chicago Bulls to championships in 1992-94 and 1996-98. Jackson then took a year off before becoming coach of the Lakers. His teams in Chicago and Los Angeles had a 9-0 record in the NBA Finals before this year.

There could be several more changes to follow.

Karl Malone has already opted out of his contract, although he hopes to play for the Lakers if healthy. Gary Payton and Derek Fisher could follow Bryant and Malone and opt out of their deals.

General manager Mitch Kupchak made clear the team's priorities Thursday when he said the Lakers would do anything they need to keep Bryant and would try to accommodate O'Neal if he demands a trade.

Apparently upset over Kupchak's remarks, O'Neal canceled his exit interview. O'Neal, who has been one of Jackson's biggest supporters, is under contract for two more years but could opt out after next season.

Jackson seemed in good spirits as he left the Lakers' practice facility for the last time as the team's coach -- before his meeting with Buss.

Asked if he was looking forward to meeting with his boss, Jackson smiled and replied: ``Oh, yeah.''

Buss' daughter, Jeanie, Jackson's longtime girlfriend and the Lakers' executive vice president of business operations, said earlier this month she believed there was a 95 percent chance Jackson would return as coach.

She proved to be wrong.

Jackson said following the Lakers' 100-87 loss to the Pistons on Tuesday night that there was ``a pretty slim chance'' he would coach the team next season.

He proved to be correct.

kaorder1999
06-18-2004, 10:05 PM
if shaq hits the trade market then there are going to be some interesting offers for him. This is going to get REAL interesting

sinton66
06-18-2004, 10:43 PM
I'd be in favor of him going home if he'd agree not to do anymore stupid commercials.:D

PhiI C
06-18-2004, 11:01 PM
Don't be surprised if the Lakers trade Shaq to the Spurs for Tim Duncan and Parker under pressure of the NBA league. :(

Showtime33
06-19-2004, 10:35 AM
Its going to be real interesting to see what all goes down. One thing I do know that is the Lakers are a winning franchise and even if they lose Shaq and Kobe, they will be back on top in a few years. Dont be surprised that after LaBron James's contract is up in Clev., that he doesnt become a Laker.

sinton66
06-19-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by PhiI C
Don't be surprised if the Lakers trade Shaq to the Spurs for Tim Duncan and Parker under pressure of the NBA league. :(

The Spurs would be STUPID to trade Tim Duncan for anybody anywhere, let alone him AND a second player for Shaq. Spurs managment can't be that ignorant.

District303aPastPlayer
06-19-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
The Spurs would be STUPID to trade Tim Duncan for anybody anywhere, let alone him AND a second player for Shaq. Spurs managment can't be that ignorant.
this is yet to be determined...

PhiI C
06-19-2004, 08:57 PM
What I mean is the Spurs would be pressured by the League. They want LA to win and be in finals for the ratings and money.

Green Ranger
06-19-2004, 09:43 PM
If Rudy T takes over I thing the turn around will be pretty quick. Should be interesting to see all what happens and if Rudy comes in if Shaq will stay considering how often Rudy T went to the hoop with Hakeem all the time. As far as Kobe goes, he has to get through court first of all, he is not one of my favorites. It is nice to see Payton sticking with it.

wildstangs
06-19-2004, 09:49 PM
Lakers will be ok. Maybe not next year, or the year after that, but they will be back eventually. I really expect to see Kobe back next year in a Lakers uniform. I hope we can keep Shaq, but if not, I am sure there will be a suitable replacement. Wouldn't mind Tim Duncan at all. Bring on Lebron James in the future, and the Lakers will win a few more!

JasperDog94
06-20-2004, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Green Ranger
If Rudy T takes over I thing the turn around will be pretty quick. I hope Rudy doesn't go to the Lakers...:( :( :(

kaorder1999
06-20-2004, 11:37 PM
The lakers will try to send shaq to the east but i bet that Dallas works their butt off for a chance to get him....

kaorder1999
06-23-2004, 01:40 PM
since walker wasnt taken in the expansion draft that will surely help bring shaq to town