PDA

View Full Version : Audie Murphy, hollywood star, fellow texas and WW2 Hero was the movies' first

PhiI C
06-14-2004, 10:55 PM
Good Bad Guy (I am talking about basic character not the bad guy that turns a new leaf and helps the hero at the end of the movie). Many people think it was Clint Eastwood who was first in moives like A Fistfull of Dollars and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. But Audie Murphy was first five years before in No Name on the Bullet. It is available on Video and probably DVD and is worth buying. Murphy plays a gunfighter for hire that goes to a western town. He always gets the mark to draw first thus making it self defense and he can't be arrested. He befriends the local doctor as he waits to get his mark. The catch is that nearly everyone in town has a guilty secret and the plot developes. The mark turns out to be a big surprise (not the doctor) and the climax is devestating.

Sans Couth
06-14-2004, 10:57 PM
Great flick. Audie is from Greenville Texas I believe. They have a highway named after him, and a big statue of him too.:)

PhiI C
06-14-2004, 11:00 PM
Sans I think he is from Farmersville. He made several great westerns in the 50s and 60s.

kaorder1999
06-14-2004, 11:03 PM
there is an audie murphy museum in greenville

Ranger Mom
06-14-2004, 11:12 PM
Phil C, I may be way off base here, but.....do you like westerns??:D

Sans Couth
06-14-2004, 11:14 PM
I did a little research. Greenville is where he enlisted in the Army on his 18th birthday. He was born near Kingston. There is a Texas Highway Memorial Marker near the cabin where he was born.

LINK (http://www.audiemurphy.com/highway.htm)

GUNHO
06-15-2004, 11:23 AM
I thought he was under age,about sixteen when he enlisted?Thats what I've always heard any.

bullfrog_alumni_02
06-15-2004, 12:25 PM
i didnt know audie murphy was a movie star, unless i read this thread wrong, i did know that he is the most decorated soldier ever to be in the army, and has a board named after him, but i thought he died in wwII or something.

Sans Couth
06-15-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02
i didnt know audie murphy was a movie star, unless i read this thread wrong, i did know that he is the most decorated soldier ever to be in the army, and has a board named after him, but i thought he died in wwII or something.

He was a huge movie star. Especially in war movies and westerns. But it was way before your time.

You really should consider watching some of the old classics. It will broaden your outlook on the world. Don't be afraid to try new things.

Phil C
06-15-2004, 01:10 PM
Sans is right. Audie Murphy was a big star in the 50s and 60s. By the late 60s he had retired from making movies and was tragically killed in an airplane accident in 1969 I think. His biggest film where he starred as himself in WW2 which is considered a great movie by critics was made in 1955 and is shown on TCM regularly. It is named To Hell and Back and is based on his autobiography. A great movie to watch indeed.

Sans Couth
06-15-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Sans is right. Audie Murphy was a big star in the 50s and 60s. By the late 60s he had retired from making movies and was tragically killed in an airplane accident in 1969 I think. His biggest film where he starred as himself in WW2 which is considered a great movie by critics was made in 1955 and is shown on TCM regularly. A great movie to watch indeed.

Of course the name of the film Phil is talking about is "To Hell and Back"

bullfrog_alumni_02
06-15-2004, 07:48 PM
well ill definately have to watch it when i get back form here.