PDA

View Full Version : Something on American Politics

pinecone
06-09-2004, 11:09 PM
With all these threads on Reagan, the economy and such, I am caused to think of what kind of man might in this day and age run for President. Where the people would like to see a man who has been successful in some line of work due to his own intelligence and leadership abilities, we have two candidates who have never had to worry about where the next meal is coming from, nor had to start from scratch with nothing but the shirt on their back. Reagan just might be the last President who did that. Even Clinton had an Ivy League education and never served one day of military service. His mom may have had it rough, but she was a nurse anesthetist and they have always made about 5 times as much as regular nurses. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong about nurse wages.) So I think Bill did not have it so rough economically.

With all those millions, the Kerry's certainly are not in touch with the common man's problems. Bush is not even in Kerry's league when it comes to personal wealth. So why does Kerry want the
White House? He wanted to serve in Viet Nam until he got there and then didn't like it and took the fastest way home he could find. Now what if he finds the Presidency is not to his liking? It just might be a lot more frustrating than he expects when he can't be all things to all people. We just might hear him say," I was for being President until I was against it!"

And Bush? Well grandpa Prescot and papa and Barbara made him what he is. Would he have gotten anywhere if his last name wasn't Bush? He does have a likable personality and a good Texas persona, which is all the more reason for the media to hate him. And he makes decisions without taking a poll, unlike Clinton.

But I think the essence of what I am trying to say is that it now takes so much money to run for President and requires such a thick skin that many a good man or woman will never consider it.
I am sure there are other Ronald Reagans out there. Let us pray they will step forward to lead our nation.

SintonFan
06-09-2004, 11:48 PM
He does have a likable personality and a good Texas persona, which is all the more reason for the media to hate him. And he makes decisions without taking a poll, unlike Clinton.
We all have to realize that President Bush is doing his best according to conservative beliefs. What he is doing(by not going with the poll results) is what alot of what conservatism is all about. "Doing the best you can do no matter what other people think". God knows if this nation stayed "that" way we might all still be British, Spanish or French citizens.

But I think the essence of what I am trying to say is that it now takes so much money to run for President and requires such a thick skin that many a good man or woman will never consider it.
I am sure there are other Ronald Reagans out there. Let us pray they will step forward to lead our nation.
If President George W. bush can stand Ann Richards' "Poor George... He was born with a silver foot(or whatever she said) in his mouth" our President has a 'thick skin'.
In this World War on Terrorism President Bush has done many of the things President Reagan would have done. He has stuck to his principles in the face of adversity AND adversaries both home and abroad. Think about what he has done. Instead of asking, "Are you better off now than four years ago?"(most would say they are), maybe we should be asking "Have we had another 9-11 in the last three years?":eek: :eek: :eek:

pinecone
06-10-2004, 12:35 PM
SintonFan, I agree with everything you have said, which is why I will be voting for George again. But I thought the Irag war was a mistake at the time we started it. I thought we should have stayed at the door to Irag and let the inspectors get the run around a while longer. If Hussein kicked them out again, then maybe attack. I thought the war would stir up more hatred for America and create a million recruits for Ben Laden. I think I am right on that. If we had found tons of WMD then maybe I would think differently. But the intelligence was sketchy at the time and I thought the government knew more than they were telling to justify the war, but now I find out they did not know any more than I did. If self righteous congressmen would leave the intelligence gathering community alone, then maybe we could have good intell.

Anyway, they say Bush is more popular with males, and since I am female, then maybe that is why I have some second thoughts about him. Females tend not to like war. My husband is a died in the wool Bush man.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-10-2004, 09:11 PM
I think he was doing some unfinished business for his father...Who needs government anyways?

sinton66
06-11-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I think he was doing some unfinished business for his father...Who needs government anyways?

Yeah, right!

Not so on either of your statements.