PDA

View Full Version : Perryton's catcher drafted in 10th

3afan
06-08-2004, 08:02 PM
Philadelphia drafts Perryton's Creswell in 10th round

The Amarillo Globe-News

Senior catcher Reece Creswell became the first high school player from Perryton drafted by major league baseball Monday, going to the Philadelphia Phillies in the 10th round of the annual Amateur Baseball Draft.

Creswell was the 302nd selection overall.

"I was kind of surprised it was the Phillies," Creswell said. "The Phillies had talked to me, but the Astros seemed more interested. When I heard I was excited and a lot of emotions hit me."

Creswell, who has signed with Seward County, said the negotiations to sign with the Phillies will start this week.

"I think their guy is going to be around Wednesday," Creswell said. "If I get the right amount, I'm going to sign."

Perryton is home to Mike Hargrove, the most successful major league baseball player in Panhandle history. However, Perryton did not have a baseball team when Hargrove attended Perryton High in the late 1960s and he was drafted out of college.

Creswell heard the news Monday afternoon while working out with his teammates in Abilene. Perryton plays in the Texas Class 3A state baseball tournament Wednesday in Austin.

Creswell's senior season is one of the top power seasons in Amarillo-area high school baseball history. He enters the state semifinals with 20 home runs and 86 RBI.

The 20 homers tie him with Randall's Chance Douglass for the Amarillo-area record for most home runs hit in a single season. Douglass is currently a pitcher in the Houston Astros organization and was drafted in the 12th round two years ago.

Old Tiger
06-08-2004, 08:03 PM
congrats