PDA

View Full Version : DMN story about Forney

3afan
06-08-2004, 07:16 AM
Forney looks for finishing touch
Last four trips to state baseball tournament ended in defeat

09:27 PM CDT on Monday, June 7, 2004

By RICK KRETZSCHMAR / Special Contributor to The Dallas Morning News

Forney's baseball team has been snakebit at the state tournament, where it's about to make its fifth appearance in six years.

Senior catcher Tyler Johnson has been spiderbit, as well.

A spider snagged Johnson on his right biceps last week, causing swelling. Johnson played through the pain, helping Forney sweep the best-of-3 Class 3A Region II final playoff series last week against Texarkana Pleasant Grove.

"The bite is probably one of the most painful things I've endured," said Johnson, who was also bit by a spider in his left ankle last fall. "I can take being hit by a pitch or a collision at home plate."

The next challenge for Johnson and his Forney teammates: changing their fortunes at the state tournament. Anchored by promising Philadelphia Phillies prospect Zack Segovia and current University of Texas standout Curtis Thigpen, Forney advanced to the Class 3A state tournament four straight years from 1999 to 2002. However, a state title eluded Forney each time.

"I don't know if it's bad luck, a curse or something that wasn't meant to be," said Johnson, a member of the 2002 team.

Misfortune returned to Forney in April. Pitcher Brandon Hewett suffered torn ligaments in his right arm and was lost for the rest of the season.

But the team rallied after the injury. Led by the pitching of Chance Corgan (11-1), a Texas A&M signee, and Chace Lankford (9-0), Forney has won 23 straight games, including six in the playoffs.

"When Brandon got hurt, I knew I had to step up and be the No. 2 pitcher," Lankford said. "When it happened, we all sat down and talked about it. We decided we all had to step it up."

Forney could face an obstacle as tough as any in its run of state tournament appearances. If Forney (30-5) wins its semifinal against Perryton (31-7) on Wednesday, it could face La Grange (31-1) in the title game. La Grange features pitcher Homer Bailey, whom the Cincinnati Reds made the No. 7 pick of Monday's draft.

Forney will move up to Class 4A next season. Sixteen of Forney's 17 nondistrict games were against Class 4A or 5A schools, including 10 games against teams that made the playoffs.

"We tried to make this a year of transition and played as many bigger schools as we could," second-year Forney coach James Boxley said. "There is a little more intensity to get it done now because our future district opponents will have more students to choose from. There is a sense of urgency."

E-mail rkretzschmar@dallasnews.com

FORNEY ROSTER
No. Player Pos. Cl.
2 Tyler Johnson C Sr.
3 Kelly Flanery IF Jr.
4 Justin Bryant OF-C Jr.
5 Caleb Hanie OF Sr.
6 Drew Kendrick P-OF Jr.
7 Matt Brooks OF Jr.
8 Preston King P-IF Sr.
9 Coy Davis OF Sr.
10 Jason Beene OF Jr.
11 Chace Lankford P-IF Jr.
12 Andrew Wright IF Jr.
13 Justin Eatherly OF So.
14 Cameron Graupman IF So.
15 Jacob Kinard IF So.
16 Brandon Hewett P-IF Sr.
18 Justin Krause IF So.
19 Dusty Williams OF-C Jr.
20 Justin Parker P-OF Jr.
21 Jordan Elder IF Fr.
22 Kyle Rouvaldt OF Jr.
23 Chance Corgan P-IF Sr.
24 Craig Rasbury OF Sr.
25 Spencer Reese P-IF Jr.

Coach _ James Boxley
Assistant coaches _ J.R. Proctor, Billy Dan Chambliess, Jeff Pruitt

Class 3A state baseball semifinals: Forney (30-5) vs. Perryton (31-7), 5 p.m. Wednesday, Disch-Falk Field, Austin

Phil C
06-08-2004, 09:39 AM
I remember Tyler Johnson when he played against Sinton two years ago. He was an outstanding catcher and played great even though Sinton won. Except for Sinton I would like to see Forney win it all this year since they have been so close several times but it would be a sentimental favorite because the team that plays well enough to win is the team that deserves it. All four teams have worked hard to get this far so each one deserves it whoever wins. Remember some teams only get to go to State one time with a one shot chance and if they win it all they deserve even though we may not see them again. Forney doesn't have it easy. Perryton will be tougher than most people thing and La Grange may make the final. LLano may surprise and beat La Grange and then they would be a force to reckon with because the team that beat La Grange will have to be tough. We will see. I may hope Forney wins sentimentally but I feel this is the year for La Grange.