12-29-2003, 10:25 AM
The winner is JORDAN SHIPLEY of Burnet.

Other finalists were : Derek McKenzie, QB Gilmer
Curtis Crew RB Huffman
Harold Runnels RB Bellville
Sirvincent Rogers OL Jasper

marktaras
12-29-2003, 04:43 PM
He had another great season and with the career records he's a good choice. There were a lot of good choices this year, so there are bound to be arguements.

BrahmaMom
12-29-2003, 06:51 PM
Great choice. I was glad to see Runnels get the recognition, though he wasn't POY material, much as I love him. Crew must have been sick when he played Bellville, I wasn't impressed with him at that game. Congrats Shipley! Best of luck as you go on!

poncho
12-29-2003, 08:14 PM
Congrats to Jordan and all the bulldogs who helped Jordan earn this award. You guys are truly an inspiration to the jv and freshman coming up. Good job and thanks. :cool: :D :D

j_dog
12-30-2003, 02:56 PM
Buccaneer:

Curtis Crew RB Huffman
Sirvincent Rogers OL JasperCongratulations to Jordan Shipley! He deserved to win the award. I think that was a foregone conclusion.

However, a footnote. For the second year in a row, a Jasper player (Sirvincent Rogers OL this year) has been highly recognized by Campbell, but ignored by the AP when selecting first team all-state. Last year it was Parade All-American Jorrie Adams who was ignored by AP. I don't know what that says about whom, but I think it must be something to do with the AP voters. Or else, Campbell is just totally out to lunch. ??? :rolleyes:

letsgo
12-30-2003, 09:09 PM
I think that a Defensive player should get this award some time bc no one on offense can do anything if the defense doesnt stop them!

j_dog
12-30-2003, 10:02 PM
letsgo:
I think that a Defensive player should get this award some time bc no one on offense can do anything if the defense doesnt stop them!Didn't Shipley play a lot of defense?

Burnet Dawg06
12-30-2003, 10:21 PM
j_dog:

letsgo:
I think that a Defensive player should get this award some time bc no one on offense can do anything if the defense doesnt stop them!Didn't Shipley play a lot of defense?Yeah he plays a lot on both sides of the ball

Hupernikomen
12-31-2003, 12:15 AM
letsgo:
I think that a Defensive player should get this award some time bc no one on offense can do anything if the defense doesnt stop them!Huh??

SintonFan
12-31-2003, 12:49 AM
j_dog:

Buccaneer:

Curtis Crew RB Huffman
Sirvincent Rogers OL JasperCongratulations to Jordan Shipley! He deserved to win the award. I think that was a foregone conclusion.

However, a footnote. For the second year in a row, a Jasper player (Sirvincent Rogers OL this year) has been highly recognized by Campbell, but ignored by the AP when selecting first team all-state. Last year it was Parade All-American Jorrie Adams who was ignored by AP. I don't know what that says about whom, but I think it must be something to do with the AP voters. Or else, Campbell is just totally out to lunch. ??? :rolleyes: .
Congrats to Shipley! I had the honor of seeing for myself this great talent a few times. You know, Mcgee was pretty darn good, too.
j_dog, it just shows you folks in Jasper are blessed with talent too and deserve your recongnition.

kaorder1999
12-31-2003, 02:30 AM
congrats shipley and burnet...he was a special HS player

Commerce Fan
01-02-2004, 08:02 AM
j_dog:

Buccaneer:

Curtis Crew RB Huffman

However, a footnote. For the second year in a row, a Jasper player (Sirvincent Rogers OL this year) has been highly recognized by Campbell, but ignored by the AP when selecting first team all-state. Last year it was Parade All-American Jorrie Adams who was ignored by AP. I don't know what that says about whom, but I think it must be something to do with the AP voters. Or else, Campbell is just totally out to lunch. ??? :rolleyes: I would not put to much stock in being selected or not being selected for this honor because it is all about the news papers and who they are putting in print. These poor old boys in the trenches will not ever get much written about them thus no one knows who they are. If you have in the AP poll 20 sports writers and a few 1000 teams to watch where do you suppose they get the info to vote? From the articles that someone in your town is or is not writing about your team and then who usually do they write about? Not they fellows in the trenches. Campbell takes more of its info from the coaches who give before and after the season!!!

j_dog
01-03-2004, 12:11 PM
Commerce Fan:

j_dog:

Buccaneer:

Curtis Crew RB Huffman

However, a footnote. For the second year in a row, a Jasper player (Sirvincent Rogers OL this year) has been highly recognized by Campbell, but ignored by the AP when selecting first team all-state. Last year it was Parade All-American Jorrie Adams who was ignored by AP. I don't know what that says about whom, but I think it must be something to do with the AP voters. Or else, Campbell is just totally out to lunch. ??? :rolleyes: I would not put to much stock in being selected or not being selected for this honor because it is all about the news papers and who they are putting in print. These poor old boys in the trenches will not ever get much written about them thus no one knows who they are. If you have in the AP poll 20 sports writers and a few 1000 teams to watch where do you suppose they get the info to vote? From the articles that someone in your town is or is not writing about your team and then who usually do they write about? Not they fellows in the trenches. Campbell takes more of its info from the coaches who give before and after the season!!!Commerce Fan, thank you for shedding some light on this. Regardless, I am still puzzled about how little research the AP voters must do. Last year, as you probably know, Jorrie Adams received all kind of national honors including Parade All-American and was selected to play, and did play the whole game in the Army All-Star game. Yet he was ignored by the Texas AP voters.

It was not quite as clear cut for Sirvincent Rogers this year, but perhaps almost as bad. I heard about a year ago (from a non-Jasper fan way over in South Texas) that Rogers was one that A&M was going to heavily recruit this year. Of course, just being a D1 prospect does not assure all-state honors, but surely it should raise a flag. If that kind of information is available to the average fan across Texas, then why do the AP voters not pick up on it? Just curious. Can't help but wonder how many other cases there are across Texas like this. frown

Gilmer Buckeye
01-03-2004, 05:52 PM
Congrats to Shipley. I look forward to seeing him play at the Div I level.

I was obviously partial to Derek, who is without a doubt the greatest quarterback in the history of Gilmer High School. I also hope to see him at the next level.

"McKenzie, a 6-1, 185-pound senior, passed for 2,751 yards and 26 touchdowns and rushed for 1,370 yards and 27 more scores in directing an offense that averaged more than 450 yards and 45 points per game."

http://www.news-journal.com/sports/newsfd/auto/feed/sports/2003/12/12/107 1206776.20005.9208.3294.html (http://www.news-journal.com/sports/newsfd/auto/feed/sports/2003/12/12/1071206776.20005.9208.3294.html)

<small>[ January 03, 2004, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: Gilmer Buckeye ]</small>